2017 Albums

Goto page Previous  123 ... , 565758  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
I'm easily the most boring member of this site.

Anything 2017 you care to recommend me based on my top 30 of this list? I'm looking for 30 or so albums.

I just got into perfume genius. That was really fantastic. Reminded me of a local group here called Officer Jenny.

I typically like bombastic/obvious music (even if subtle, if that makes any sense), but if you tell me something is a grower, I'll keep at it. I usually get frustrated with challenging music (sorry, my head isn't as good as yours).

The War On Drugs and Fleet Foxes and Mac DeMarco are difficult for me to like for some reason.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=40258


I'm gonna throw some at you, and see if anything sticks.


Link


The Best Weezer album to come out this year

Link



Link



Link



Link



Link



Link
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
I'm easily the most boring member of this site.

Anything 2017 you care to recommend me based on my top 30 of this list? I'm looking for 30 or so albums.

I just got into perfume genius. That was really fantastic. Reminded me of a local group here called Officer Jenny.

I typically like bombastic/obvious music (even if subtle, if that makes any sense), but if you tell me something is a grower, I'll keep at it. I usually get frustrated with challenging music (sorry, my head isn't as good as yours).

The War On Drugs and Fleet Foxes and Mac DeMarco are difficult for me to like for some reason.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=40258


I'm gonna throw some at you, and see if anything sticks.

The Best Weezer album to come out this year


hahaha

Thanks! Also really appreciate the songs. If I can't like an artists best song, I probably won't like their average song.

Here's me verbally processing it (take no offense, no filter):

That Afghan Whigs song was kind of disturbing on many levels. Not a bad song, but I didn't shit myself either.
The Rozwell Kid song was very weezer like wasn't it. Somehow I instantly liked it and then halfway through got bored - totally agree on the weezer joke. No idea what they were thinking.
The Grails was pretty cool, especially at first. I was hoping for some singing and dynamics to it after a while so I skipped through to see and definitely interesting dynamics/instrumental band (probably just as interesting as Godspeed You's album). I assume there's no vocals ever based on the sampling I did. Probably coolest stuff so far.
LA Takedown - really liked this.
I wanted to like Omni. Had this like Talking Heads thing. Maybe I'd listen to them at a club, but after a bit it was just too much.
The B Boys track was fantastic. Loved the bass and energy (haha). Actually bombastic - check - bass - check - punk rock attitude... easily best track so far.
The Pile track also is pretty damn good. It's like alt-country punk rock.
The only beef I think I'd find with the last two bands is if the whole album sounds the same.

Thanks again!
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
I'm easily the most boring member of this site.

Anything 2017 you care to recommend me based on my top 30 of this list? The rest I'm either already disappointed with and will be removed soon or stabs in the dark for later. I'm looking for 30 or so albums.

I just got into perfume genius. That was really fantastic. Reminded me of a local group here called Officer Jenny.

I typically like bombastic/obvious music (even if subtle, if that makes any sense), but if you tell me something is a grower, I'll keep at it. I usually get frustrated with challenging music (sorry, my head isn't as good as yours).

The War On Drugs and Fleet Foxes and Mac DeMarco are difficult for me to like for some reason.

As I state - so far my list is just a listening list, not actually curated.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=40258


I have been paying attention to, and enjoying, your music diary and I really think you would get something out of this award winning album. I'm not comparing them to these greats but as a point of reference think U2 meets Bruce Springsteen Aussie/Pacific Islander style. Definitely bombastic but at the same time passionate, emotional, often intimately personal lyrics.


Go Farther In Lightness by Gang Of Youths
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
I'm easily the most boring member of this site.

Anything 2017 you care to recommend me based on my top 30 of this list? The rest I'm either already disappointed with and will be removed soon or stabs in the dark for later. I'm looking for 30 or so albums.

I just got into perfume genius. That was really fantastic. Reminded me of a local group here called Officer Jenny.

I typically like bombastic/obvious music (even if subtle, if that makes any sense), but if you tell me something is a grower, I'll keep at it. I usually get frustrated with challenging music (sorry, my head isn't as good as yours).

The War On Drugs and Fleet Foxes and Mac DeMarco are difficult for me to like for some reason.

As I state - so far my list is just a listening list, not actually curated.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=40258


Give this one a go, if you're looking for another rock record


Shade by Living Colour
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
I'm easily the most boring member of this site.

Anything 2017 you care to recommend me based on my top 30 of this list? The rest I'm either already disappointed with and will be removed soon or stabs in the dark for later. I'm looking for 30 or so albums.

I just got into perfume genius. That was really fantastic. Reminded me of a local group here called Officer Jenny.

I typically like bombastic/obvious music (even if subtle, if that makes any sense), but if you tell me something is a grower, I'll keep at it. I usually get frustrated with challenging music (sorry, my head isn't as good as yours).

The War On Drugs and Fleet Foxes and Mac DeMarco are difficult for me to like for some reason.

As I state - so far my list is just a listening list, not actually curated.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=40258


I'm thinking Wolf Alice might work for you. Is this one on your list? They have big tunes and are pretty bombastic. They are reasonably commercial sounding without being dumb or cheesy. I've only listened once to their 2017 album so far but it sounded good to me. Plenty of 90s influence in there too.
  • Quote

Drunk by Thundercat
  • Quote
Thanks everyone!

I've added your lovely recommendations to my chart/listening list.
  • Quote
I frequently see users type that they need to get into jazz more, or they're trying to get into jazz, or something similar. There's a lot of great jazz albums from this year, but here are my three picks for jazz from 2017 for those interested


18.4.17 by Pat Thomas & Orphy Robinson

From the ongoing duo "Blacktop," this live recording from Cafe Oto has the players switching across piano, drums, mallet instruments, toys, and sampling. Part jazz, part dub, part carnival music, part political statement; there's a lot going on in a short set but without the excess gravity that it's parts usually carry with it.


Konzert Fรผr Hannes by Jeb Bishop / Matthias Mรผller / Matthias Muche

Two and a half trombone duos got together to perform a eulogy for the fourth trombonist. A collaborative exploration of quiet extended techniques emphasizing breath (or the lack of it) weaved through more tonal lines that pay tribute to the dead's style.


The Corner by Fred Van Hove & Roger Turner

Shimmering, delicate, yet physical piano and drum duo
  • Quote
going to check that cafe oto one very soon for sure. also need to explore this list some because I am a big fan of #1 and #3 http://thequietus.com/articles/23721-best-jazz-2017-top-ten-jaimie-branch-pat-thomas-alice -coltrane-nicole-mitchell
  • Quote

CCFX EP by CCFX
came across this ethereal/post-punk thing today and digging it quite a bit. a bit of the cure, the sundays, u2, delays, et al mixed in there.
_________________
follow me on the bandcamp.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... , 565758  Next
Page 57 of 58


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Your own top 2017 albums & overal... Nyoink77 Music
The lowest ranking excellent albums i... rkm Music
Your favourite rap albums of 2017 Skinny Music
It's 2017... and we're still getting ... Fischman Music
[ Poll ] 2017 Championship Tournament: Play-In... baystateoftheart Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.