Recommend Box Sets and Anthologies for exploring 1920-1960

Goto page Previous  123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
Ok lastly:


Anthology Of American Folk Music by Various Artists


^this.

and


The Chess Story: 1947-1975 by Various Artists


Rock N' Roll: 1938-1946 by Various Artists
  • Quote
I used to have this except on several vinyl double LPS. But now it's a box set.
It starts in the forties with Atlantic's famous R&B records, and then it goes into their 60s boy group and Soul era then all the way into the seventies.
It has a million tracks on it and you won't believe your eyes how many great ones there are. It's awesome.


Atlantic & Blues 1947-1974 by Various Artists
  • Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm familiar with a few things. I bought the Lady Day one last year.

I'm searching for these titles on Apple Music, and most aren't available. Where they are available, it shows how inadequate the extra-musical information of the format is. Track title and artist simply isn't enough, when you want want to understand the context of the music.

Looks like I'll head to eBay. The Chess Story is $1,000. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm familiar with a few things. I bought the Lady Day one last year.

I'm searching for these titles on Apple Music, and most aren't available. Where they are available, it shows how inadequate the extra-musical information of the format is. Track title and artist simply isn't enough, when you want want to understand the context of the music.

Looks like I'll head to eBay. The Chess Story is $1,000. :shock:


lol. I just saw that too. Torch for my blood. Nabbed that rock n roll one though for 20 bucks. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Quote

The Story Of The Blues by Various Artists

Picked this double album up the other year from a charity shop...a rather good education it is too. Starts off with a recording of the African Fra Fra tribesmen with each side having itโ€™s own focus:

Side 1: the origins of the Blues (1-8)
Side 2: Blues and Entertainment (9-16)
Side 3: the Thirties, Urban & Rural Blues (17-24)
Side 4: World War II And after (25-32)
  • Quote
Any Duke Ellington recommendations?

He made so much music over such a long period of time, and there's a gazillion compilations.

Allmusic recommends this

  • Quote
Glad to hear you have that Billie Holiday collection.

The Asch Recordings (four discs by Smithsonian Folkways) are a good place to go if you need some more Woody Guthrie in your life.

Regardless of whether you do, Hank Williams is pretty essential. This is a great collection:


40 Greatest Hits by Hank Williams
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
When I was a teenager I owned this gem. I was an idiot and got rid of it in my later teens.

https://www.amazon.com/Glenn-Miller-Popular-Recordings-1938-1942/dp/B000002WDC



Good call.
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
I used to have this except on several vinyl double LPS. But now it's a box set.
It starts in the forties with Atlantic's famous R&B records, and then it goes into their 60s boy group and Soul era then all the way into the seventies.
It has a million tracks on it and you won't believe your eyes how many great ones there are. It's awesome.


Atlantic & Blues 1947-1974 by Various Artists


Sounds pretty awesome.

I had a Chess Records compilation I bought on iTunes a couple of years ago, it was cheap. It had songs like Dust My Broom and Etta James and others. However I accidentally put my iPod through the washing machine over New Years so now I am saving up for a new iPod lol.
  • Quote

Jazz: The Smithsonian Anthology by Various Artists

If you want a springboard into early jazz this is the way to do it.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123  Next
Page 2 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
No box sets Jabapac Suggestions
Really Long Compilation/Box Sets joannajewsom Music
Exploring the year, 1950. rkm Music
Biggest Artist Sets In Your Collection boboland1203 Music
What did you think of Pitchfork's Bes... Viibes Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.