My Criteria For Art

Goto page Previous  123, 45 ... 272829  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
The Pines of Rome is a staple. Is it the greatest art of all time, no. But neither is 99% of any art.


Right on, I keep forgetting to update the "Recommendations" page with 1ChiefRockas (and now yours too) recommendation(s).
_________________
Best Classical
Best Films
Best Paintings
  • Quote
AfterHours wrote:
boyd94 wrote:
Quick question about this. I'm an anorak who find all kinds of evaluation and interpretation of art intrinsically interesting so forgive my pedantry, but this confuses me a little:

Quote:
9.0/10 = Combined total of both halves equaling 15.7. Examples: 7.8/10 + 7.9/10; 7.3/10 + 8.4/10


Is this a formula specifically designed to distinguish albums that are more than the sum of their parts? I.e, that an album containing a Side A of 'Historically Extraordinary/Amazing' work and a Side B of 'Near-Masterpiece' work amounts to a work that is cumulatively an 'All-Time Masterpiece' (assuming cohesiveness in emotional/conceptual content from one side to the next)?


Well, yes, but I also dont think there's a legitimate debate otherwise (not that this is your intent). All art is an accumulation of parts/actions (etc), so whether one agrees with my ratings or not, the fundamental idea is difficult to dispute. For an extreme example, consider the following: Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel. Lets say that's a 10/10. If one starts taking figures and scenes away, does it keep the same rating? Is each brush stroke a 10/10? If said stroke were left alone and presented in frame at an art gallery would they each be as great as the Sistine Chapel altogether? Of course not. It is a 10/10 as a whole, and portions of it broken down to such miniscule parts would not nearly be so astonishing and significant (though that doesn't mean I don't think that Michelangelo's tone and brush strokes are possibly, on their own, the most significant of all time, perhaps only surpassed by Da Vinci?). Still, at best, one could look at Michelangelo's tone and conviction in said brush stroke and say something like: "if he keeps painting this way on a scale of The Sistine Chapel he has the potential to produce an astonishing work of art." ... ... Same thing with music. Songs are essentially collections of notes, accumulating into a composition (keeping this simple and concise). Albums are collections of songs. It is very rare, particularly with the best albums, to find cases where a half of the album is better than the whole (because you're generally dealing with a great artist with considerable conviction, inspiration, follow-through and an overall vision). White Light/White Heat and Atlantis, off the top of my head, are the only ones that come to mind. Sister Ray is slightly better alone (maybe) than it fairs with the rest of the album "added" to it, as there is a qualitative dip sufficient enough to (slightly) mitigate the overall emotional/conceptual significance of the work (current ratings might be 6.5 or 6.6 for Side A, 8.9 or 9.0 for Side B). Atlantis (Sun Ra) is a similar issue, but with a greater differential. This phenomenon of substantial quality differential between songs/parts is probably more prevalent with poor or mediocre works, which more often feature great inconsistencies in quality (if they're not just "consistently poor/mediocre" which is very common as well).

Note: The ratings could be broken down in smaller parts (1/3rds, 1/4ths, 1/8ths) and so forth, as well. I chose halves because this was easier to describe ratings-wise, and is also usually my first point of orientation when figuring out an overall rating for an album after listening to it (after that I might break it down further, especially when trying to decide its exact ranking in relation to another work(s) with the same rating ... but "by halves" is almost always my entry point). And especially with Rock/Jazz/Classical music where artists commonly have similarly timed sides to their albums/works, this is simpler to consider and allows one to more easily follow the logic of my ratings (and Scaruffi's too, as it seems to work just as well with his, aside from occasions where we disagree).


Actually, "more" than the sum of their parts would probably be an incorrect connotation (depending on exactly what you mean by the term). The number is the sum of its parts. The quality of a 7.8 followed the quality of a 7.7 equals the quality of an 8.8 (as in, the same accumulation and degree of emotional/conceptual significance and creativity). Etc. The number is representative of the qualitative accumulation of its halves, which are made of (of course) of smaller parts... etc.
_________________
Best Classical
Best Films
Best Paintings
  • Quote
AfterHours wrote:
Right on, I keep forgetting to update the "Recommendations" page with 1ChiefRockas (and now yours too) recommendation(s).



No worries. The Pines of Rome actually was 1ChiefRocka's suggestion, I was just helping clarify that the piece is commonly performed by major symphony's worldwide. Whether it is mind boggling conceptually and emotionally, no I wouldn't put it in that realm. Whether it is a staple in Western Civilization, absolutely.
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
No worries. The Pines of Rome actually was 1ChiefRocka's suggestion, I was just helping clarify that the piece is commonly performed by major symphony's worldwide. Whether it is mind boggling conceptually and emotionally, no I wouldn't put it in that realm. Whether it is a staple in Western Civilization, absolutely.


Thanks, it is highly probable that I've heard it then but just not familiar with the name. Looking forward to checking it out when I get around to extra Classical works.
_________________
Best Classical
Best Films
Best Paintings
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Hey, I know you're still on a classical kick, so I figured I'd suggest a couple I didn't see on your list.

Ottorino Respighi- The Roman Trilogy (Fontane di Roma, Pini di Roma, Feste Romane)

Anything by Silvestre Revueltas- Particularly 'Sensemaya' or 'La Noche De Los Mayas'.


FINALLY added to the recommendations page ๐Ÿคก ๐Ÿ‘
_________________
Best Classical
Best Films
Best Paintings
  • Quote
I'm curious what your feedback would be with these 2 EPs. I quite appreciate them from a conceptual level and emotional. They create music based on the 4 classical elements: Fire and Water for the first EP. Air and Earth for the second. I'm not certain another project out there is quite like this one.

I will say the collection was a grower (mostly because I'm less of a fan of that style of screaming on Fire). But once it clicked, it became an album released in the past 20 years which I came to highly respect, even if I didn't at first.

It also features some of the most fantastic baritone guitar work I've ever heard. They also have a knack for writing in unique time signatures, yet it isn't forced.


The Alchemy Index by Thrice

https://open.spotify.com/album/4qJ6YCuvhSRNik047WYgG2
https://open.spotify.com/album/6wLcEP3s7HOJ3LQlNy6nIC

Unrelated, I'd like to understand more why albums which emotionally and conceptually are very interesting to me are rated as barely above average. We've talked about this a few times, so if it isn't worth your time, I understand that, but perhaps you take the first half of Sgt. Pepper or Joshua Tree and explain in more detail why The Doors debut is FAR superior (I think a full 2 points?). Please provide specific examples as you do so, as I feel our discussions in past have been difficult due to generalities. Part of why I want to do this is because in times past you've suggested Beatles fans have yet to show any evidence of any reason why they should be considered more than a simple pop group with no significant aesthetic worth (paraphrasing). I'd like to understand more why VU or Doors are FAR more superior (as I see them as all equally significant, just different).

I suppose I'm asking for a fair, honest, recent assessment not based on bias, rather the "text themselves". I promise to do the same with those two albums (I actually like VU's self titled album better and perhaps I'm missing something you can help me see).
  • Quote
@ sethmadsen ... yes, no problem, I will explain as soon as I can -- maybe not all at once (I rarely have that kind of time), but taken in parts.

One thing to know is that my results are less likely to be understood proportionately to the degree one hasnt experienced all the music/art I have (Scaruffi says a similar thing including that "people with similar knowledge tend to have remarkably similar opinions" ... not exact quote). I dont mean that to come across condescendingly btw. But if youve only assimilated a small percentage of the albums on my Rock/Jazz list (7.3 on up) than my results are unlikely to make as much sense as they might if youve taken the time/effort to really "get" most/all of them. Albums like Joshua Tree and other 7s (while superb albums in their own right) may seem much more creative and singular, and delivered with extraordinary conviction, if one hasnt heard hundreds of more impressive works, including those that elicit similar pathos but much more profoundly/strikingly/creatively/powerfully.

So just keep in mind that its not that I dont think Joshua Tree is a great and poweful album. Its just that albums like Spirit of Eden or Hex (etc) take similar pathos/spiritual salvation/existential quandary to even more profound and powerful heights. And I strongly doubt youd disagree if you assmilated them (but in the end, who knows).

Anyway, Ill answer your queries as soon as I have enough time.
_________________
Best Classical
Best Films
Best Paintings


Last edited by AfterHours on 02/04/2018 02:46; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Re: Alchemy ... Sounds like it has a correlation to the Third Ear Band (2 albums on my list). Their self titled tackles the same themes. I will add these to my recommendations page, thank you.
_________________
Best Classical
Best Films
Best Paintings


Last edited by AfterHours on 02/03/2018 23:22; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Note/Edit ... Just noticed Spirit of Eden is in your top 100 of the 80s, so maybe you do really "get" that one? Only something you would know...
_________________
Best Classical
Best Films
Best Paintings
  • Quote
Note/Edit #2 ... re: Alchemy ... after reading your brief descriptions of the music, maybe there is no correlation (or a superficial one?) with Third Ear Band. Regardless, sounds interesting.
_________________
Best Classical
Best Films
Best Paintings

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123, 45 ... 272829  Next
Page 4 of 29


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Your Favourite Work(s) of Art? (Anyth... nibbles Lounge
Outsider Art/Art Brut meccalecca Music
Your Rating Criteria videoheadcleaner Lounge
[ Poll ] What criteria determine "greatne... AngryAchilles Music
Criteria for Music Evaluation DelBocaVista Music Diaries

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.