Rank 'Em: The Beach Boys

Goto page Previous  123 ... 303132 ... 174175176  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
dihansse wrote:
Can I tempt anyone to listen to this one (itโ€™s on Apple Music and Spotify):


Kustom Kar Kompetition by La Muerte

In fact this is a Belgian band (from the French speaking part of Belgium; Iโ€™m from the Dutch speaking part) and had its roots in the eighties cold wave band Marine and then split up in Allez Allez (a great funk band also worth checking out) and La Muerte which was really something else. Many people compare it with the Birthday Party but I would describe it as industrial metal and the band was quickly picked up by the infamous John Peel as one of the most promising bands at the time.
This album was already their fourth and is a good example of their typical fairly extreme sound. The title song at the start already sets the pace with its intervening racing circuit sounds but the most typical and best track is But My Brain Donโ€™t Get Higher which is exactly the opposite what it predicts because it song keeps on speeding up until it ends in total chaos. After that the speed decelerates significantly with LEssence des Chocs but the gloomy atmosphere remains.
The best tracks are at the start but the rest of the album is not bad either (and sometimes even becomes bluesy in Stone-Heart Marie).
It was already a long time I listened to this album an after giving it another spin I moved it up from the 53rd to the 35th tank of 1991.



Hmmmm.... I used to love industrial metal. Is it like Godflesh or Therapy? Your write up makes it sound WAY too heavy for me rn. lol.
  • Quote
Tilly wrote:


Hmmmm.... I used to love industrial metal. Is it like Godflesh or Therapy? Your write up makes it sound WAY too heavy for me rn. lol.

It's in that direction but still their own genre.
And sorry I'm a bit forgetting I'm still in the Mellow Zone ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Quote
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:


Hmmmm.... I used to love industrial metal. Is it like Godflesh or Therapy? Your write up makes it sound WAY too heavy for me rn. lol.

It's in that direction but still their own genre.
And sorry I'm a bit forgetting I'm still in the Mellow Zone :wink:


lol. No worries. Me too obvs. BUT, starting NOW, I'm going to back to the basics & the spirit of what this little project is supposed to be all about.

I'm only allowing myself one NEW album per day. And, I'm now in the habit of listening to music all the time again. Which is not the best thing for your health. Silence is important too. So far now on, when I listen to an album, I am only going to be listening to that album. When I'm cleaning the kitchen, I'm only going to be cleaning the kitchen. And for Mercury, when I'm doing laundry, I'm actually going to do some laundry! lol.

Especially with what I'm trying to do with my Behcet's Disease and everything. I need to refocus everything back to my health which sounds stupid even typing.

So I'm essentially going to simplify and reduce and get back to what The Mellow Zone is supposed to be all about. Serenity. Stillness. Peace. Presence.

So I will NOT be listening to 300 hundred albums for 1992. lol. I'm going to b much more selective. But, this was a fun little experiment & I've discovered so much in 1991. Thanks Dihansse & everyone else!!! ๐Ÿ˜

Namaste!

  • Quote
Tilly wrote:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:


Hmmmm.... I used to love industrial metal. Is it like Godflesh or Therapy? Your write up makes it sound WAY too heavy for me rn. lol.

It's in that direction but still their own genre.
And sorry I'm a bit forgetting I'm still in the Mellow Zone :wink:


lol. No worries. Me too obvs. BUT, starting NOW, I'm going to back to the basics & the spirit of what this little project is supposed to be all about.

I'm only allowing myself one NEW album per day. And, I'm now in the habit of listening to music all the time again. Which is not the best thing for your health. Silence is important too. So far now on, when I listen to an album, I am only going to be listening to that album. When I'm cleaning the kitchen, I'm only going to be cleaning the kitchen. And for Mercury, when I'm doing laundry, I'm actually going to do some laundry! lol.

Especially with what I'm trying to do with my Behcet's Disease and everything. I need to refocus everything back to my health which sounds stupid even typing.

So I'm essentially going to simplify and reduce and get back to what The Mellow Zone is supposed to be all about. Serenity. Stillness. Peace. Presence.

So I will NOT be listening to 300 hundred albums for 1992. lol. I'm going to b much more selective. But, this was a fun little experiment & I've discovered so much in 1991. Thanks Dihansse & everyone else!!! ๐Ÿ˜

Namaste!


That's all right brother: less is sometimes more !
  • Quote
Repo's 1991 AOTD: 1


Forbidden Places by Meat Puppets

I'm clearly an idiot. I was a HUGE Meat Puppets fan back in the 80s. Under the Sun & II were two of my favorite albums. But I was underwhelmed by Monsters (their '89 release although now I think it's really good if not great) so I never picked up this. Part of it was likely all the new bands coming out in the early 90s. BUT, I'm clearly an idiot because this is one of the Meat Puppets BEST. Like that Eleventh Dream Day album, its's guitar heaven. Curt Kirkwood absolutely shreds on this. I'd probably place it fourth in the Meat Puppets canon right after Huevos (which I LOVE).

Highly recommended. (A-)

  • Quote
Tilly wrote:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:


Hmmmm.... I used to love industrial metal. Is it like Godflesh or Therapy? Your write up makes it sound WAY too heavy for me rn. lol.

It's in that direction but still their own genre.
And sorry I'm a bit forgetting I'm still in the Mellow Zone :wink:


lol. No worries. Me too obvs. BUT, starting NOW, I'm going to back to the basics & the spirit of what this little project is supposed to be all about.

I'm only allowing myself one NEW album per day. And, I'm now in the habit of listening to music all the time again. Which is not the best thing for your health. Silence is important too. So far now on, when I listen to an album, I am only going to be listening to that album. When I'm cleaning the kitchen, I'm only going to be cleaning the kitchen. And for Mercury, when I'm doing laundry, I'm actually going to do some laundry! lol.

Especially with what I'm trying to do with my Behcet's Disease and everything. I need to refocus everything back to my health which sounds stupid even typing.

So I'm essentially going to simplify and reduce and get back to what The Mellow Zone is supposed to be all about. Serenity. Stillness. Peace. Presence.

So I will NOT be listening to 300 hundred albums for 1992. lol. I'm going to b much more selective. But, this was a fun little experiment & I've discovered so much in 1991. Thanks Dihansse & everyone else!!! ๐Ÿ˜

Namaste!



Yes. Music can be a big distraction from simplicity and mindfulness.

I've listened to far too much on my own project, which I'm really enjoying-but I don't think it helps for peace of mind ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿค” . I'm trying to slow things down as well.

Good luck with getting back to basic principles in the next phase of your project ๐Ÿ˜„
  • Quote
Michael1981 wrote:


Yes. Music can be a big distraction from simplicity and mindfulness.

I've listened to far too much on my own project, which I'm really enjoying-but I don't think it helps for peace of mind ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿค” . I'm trying to slow things down as well.

Good luck with getting back to basic principles in the next phase of your project :)


Thanks, Michael! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Quote
The '91 Project Counts Backwards => The Sarah Years


Link


Man. What an amazing & intense song. Somehow watching the video underlines that fact. You can already feel the separation in energies between Kristen Hersch & Tanya Donnelly watching this video too. Very, very interesting if your a Muses fan.

And I LOVE that the drum break towards the end essentially steals from Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin are pretty much the epitome of unhip rn. I grew up on Zeppelin and their mastery of melding blues with rock is unparalleled. No one comes close. Kind of cool that one of the hippest bands from 1991 sneaks in a homage to Bonham and the legends.

But why am I even counting backwards? I realized during the '91 project that I know next to nothing about Sarah Records. It's this giant hole in my music knowledge from this time period. Although their influence can be heard in some of my favorite American bands in the late 80s (such as Galaxie 500), I don't even think I knew that the Sarah records label existed back then. And I love tracing music history. My cds and albums are arranged in an attempt to trace musical genres. Trying to show the complicated family tree of different offshoots by a very nonscientific process of placing certain bands in proximity and order. I love how it ends up looking. So today's AOTD is Sarah's very first Comp...


Shadow Factory by Various Artists

(Repo's AOTD #2)
  • Quote
Tilly wrote:
The '91 Project Counts Backwards => The Sarah Years


Link


Man. What an amazing & intense song. Somehow watching the video underlines that fact. You can already feel the separation in energies between Kristen Hersch & Tanya Donnelly watching this video too. Very, very interesting if your a Muses fan.

And I LOVE that the drum break towards the end essentially steals from Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin are pretty much the epitome of unhip rn. I grew up on Zeppelin and their mastery of melding blues with rock is unparalleled. No one comes close. Kind of cool that one of the hippest bands from 1991 sneaks in a homage to Bonham and the legends.

But why am I even counting backwards? I realized during the '91 project that I know next to nothing about Sarah Records. It's this giant hole in my music knowledge from this time period. Although their influence can be heard in some of my favorite American bands in the late 80s (such as Galaxie 500), I don't even think I knew that the Sarah records label existed back then. And I love tracing music history. My cds and albums are arranged in an attempt to trace musical genres. Trying to show the complicated family tree of different offshoots by a very nonscientific process of placing certain bands in proximity and order. I love how it ends up looking. So today's AOTD is Sarah's very first Comp...


Shadow Factory by Various Artists

(Repo's AOTD #2)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Records_discography
They seem to have issued mainly Seven inches at the time as this interesting wiki lemma shows.
And Counting Backwards is a great song indeed: love your reference to Led Zeppelin
  • Quote
dihansse wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Records_discography
They seem to have issued mainly Seven inches at the time as this interesting wiki lemma shows.
And Counting Backwards is a great song indeed: love your reference to Led Zeppelin


Nice! Awesome link. thanks.

meanwhile... I think I may have found the song that could turn u onto country, Dihansse ....


Link


Incredible mature song from the Pupps. The ENTIRE album is just incredible. In a way it's a perfection of their one of a kind sound. Can't believe it's on less than 10 charts. But considering I just started listening to this yesterday, I can. Just interesting how some albums get overlooked collectively.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 303132 ... 174175176  Next
Page 31 of 176


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] CLOSED Let's Rank 23: The Beach Boys ... RepoMan Music
Rank 'Em: Ozzy Osbourne CA Dreamin Music
Album of the day (#388): Pet Sounds b... BestEverAlbums Music
New Beach Boys Single alelsupreme Music
Looking for music influenced by The B... Guest Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.