Britpop Calling

Goto page Previous  123 ... 333435 ... 444546  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Well I had it pretty large earlier today with these albums...


Devil hopping by inspiral carpets

Dihannse first mentioned this band I think. I picked this album of theirs as it has Saturn 5 on it and i think it is a great tune. Having never heard this band on an album before I was surprised at how much energy they have. I really like their sound. The drumming is pretty tribal, the vocals are strong and that organ sound really propels things along. Saturn 5 was an obvious standout but I thought this sounded really good from start to finish. I'm very impressed on a first listen.


Stupid, stupid, stupid by Black Grape
Now this is ranked 35,000 places lower than their debut-but I'm going with it on Bobby's rec ๐Ÿ˜„

Second listen now and I think its good fun. I like the beats, the guitars and effects all sound interesting and it just sounds like a party going off. Really youthful and upbeat sort of energy. I've not got a lot to compare it to- I Havnt even heard a Happy Mondays Album-but this album really works for me. As you'd expect some of the lyrics are funny too and Ryder's vocals really distinctive (a great feature of both these albums). The hooks didn't really grab me but maybe they will on another listen.

Actually, one track sounds like the Rolling Stones, which is more familiar territory for me! They even do this well. Probably better than Primal Scream were doing the Stones in the 90s anyway! Overall, I'm not blown away but I'm enjoying it and that's enough for me ๐Ÿ˜„
  • Quote
The second Black Grape album wasn't bad, but it kinda paled in comparison to the first one*. That and much of the Britpop enthusiasm was already reaching its end point by then.

*though in retrospect, the general reaction to It's Great When You're Straight was a bit OTT when I think about it - the NME gave it 10 out of 10, for instance. (Then again, that's not the only weird full marks they gave, eg. Carter USM, Asian Dub Foundation). I guess people were just happy to see Shaun Ryder making music again.
  • Quote
desh79 wrote:
The second Black Grape album wasn't bad, but it kinda paled in comparison to the first one*. That and much of the Britpop enthusiasm was already reaching its end point by then.

*though in retrospect, the general reaction to It's Great When You're Straight was a bit OTT when I think about it - the NME gave it 10 out of 10, for instance. (Then again, that's not the only weird full marks they gave, eg. Carter USM, Asian Dub Foundation). I guess people were just happy to see Shaun Ryder making music again.


Thanks Desh. I think I need to hear the first one then to compare them. Given the mood swings of the UK music press at the time I woudnt be too surprised to find them of similar quality.
  • Quote
desh79 wrote:
The second Black Grape album wasn't bad, but it kinda paled in comparison to the first one*. That and much of the Britpop enthusiasm was already reaching its end point by then.

*though in retrospect, the general reaction to It's Great When You're Straight was a bit OTT when I think about it - the NME gave it 10 out of 10, for instance. (Then again, that's not the only weird full marks they gave, eg. Carter USM, Asian Dub Foundation). I guess people were just happy to see Shaun Ryder making music again.


Yeah I actually remember when it came out. And I think you're right. It was over praised and overrated probably because people wanted so badly for it to be as good as Happy Mondays. I think it was a case of wishful thinking. And they were just glad Shaun Ryder was back probably. But anyway at the time I thought it was okay. Not great but okay. I thought the second album was just a continuation of the first. But today the first album sounds unbelievably dated. Whereas the second album has aged better simply because the music isn't as overly familiar and stale sounding. The first one sounds like it's too much a product of its time.
  • Quote
I just realized that I only thought I knew inspiral carpets, I actually never heard it before. I was thinking of the soup dragons. I have no idea why. Maybe they came out at the same time or something. Or just that they're both weird names. I don't know. So this will be my first time hearing it .

I think I know which song you mean on black grape that sounds like the Rolling Stones. Is it the one that goes "You got it, I want it??
  • Quote
Michael1981 wrote:
Well I had it pretty large earlier today with these albums...


Devil hopping by inspiral carpets

Dihannse first mentioned this band I think. I picked this album of theirs as it has Saturn 5 on it and i think it is a great tune. Having never heard this band on an album before I was surprised at how much energy they have. I really like their sound. The drumming is pretty tribal, the vocals are strong and that organ sound really propels things along. Saturn 5 was an obvious standout but I thought this sounded really good from start to finish. I'm very impressed on a first listen.

Hi Michael, I'm glad you gave The Inspiral Carpets a try but to be honest I hadn't even listened to this album myself so I did now and I must say I was a bit disappointed by it if compared with their first three albums. Of course I Want You and Saturn 5 are great but there are also a lot of clunkers to be found on this one and I really have the impression that they gotten a bit out of breath here.
If you want those really exhiliarating organs (and songs) just go for the two first albums. Life is very good but the Beast Inside is just amazing.

The Beast Inside by Inspiral Carpets
The Title song, Please Be Cruel, Born Yesterday and Sleep Well Tonight are wonderful tracks but the real standout is the 13'40'' long Further Away, the best psychedelic/mesmerising 90's track around in my opinion. The Allmusic reviewer wasn't too wild about this album compared to Life but just read the comment to that review by Jairo Dutra who delves deeper into each individual track: I couldn't comment on the album in a better way. All in all: this album is ranked 40th in my overall one album per artist top chart.
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
I just realized that I only thought I knew inspiral carpets, I actually never heard it before. I was thinking of the soup dragons. I have no idea why. Maybe they came out at the same time or something. Or just that they're both weird names. I don't know. So this will be my first time hearing it .

I think I know which song you mean on black grape that sounds like the Rolling Stones. Is it the one that goes "You got it, I want it??


That Black Grape song I meant is called 'Lonely' (although Spotify is calling it "I've been lonely for so long ๐Ÿคก ). Sounds like Exile era Stones to me.

Oh The Soup daragons hehe similar name I see how you did that. I'm sure I've heard the Soup Dragons but cant remember what they did. I'm not sure if that Inspiral Carpets album is there best one but I liked it. I'm going to try this one next:


Life by Inspiral Carpets
  • Quote
dihansse wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
Well I had it pretty large earlier today with these albums...


Devil hopping by inspiral carpets

Dihannse first mentioned this band I think. I picked this album of theirs as it has Saturn 5 on it and i think it is a great tune. Having never heard this band on an album before I was surprised at how much energy they have. I really like their sound. The drumming is pretty tribal, the vocals are strong and that organ sound really propels things along. Saturn 5 was an obvious standout but I thought this sounded really good from start to finish. I'm very impressed on a first listen.

Hi Michael, I'm glad you gave The Inspiral Carpets a try but to be honest I hadn't even listened to this album myself so I did now and I must say I was a bit disappointed by it if compared with their first three albums. Of course I Want You and Saturn 5 are great but there are also a lot of clunkers to be found on this one and I really have the impression that they gotten a bit out of breath here.
If you want those really exhiliarating organs (and songs) just go for the two first albums. Life is very good but the Beast Inside is just amazing.

The Beast Inside by Inspiral Carpets
The Title song, Please Be Cruel, Born Yesterday and Sleep Well Tonight are wonderful tracks but the real standout is the 13'40'' long Further Away, the best psychedelic/mesmerising 90's track around in my opinion. The Allmusic reviewer wasn't too wild about this album compared to Life but just read the comment to that review by Jairo Dutra who delves deeper into each individual track: I couldn't comment on the album in a better way. All in all: this album is ranked 40th in my overall one album per artist top chart.


Thanks Dihannse ๐Ÿ˜„ I need to give those earlier ones a try. Particularly if better than this one. I notice its fairly low compared to the others in its BEA ranking. I did actually like the energy though! Maybe I'll feel differently once I'm more familiar with this band.
  • Quote
Michael1981 wrote:
dihansse wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
Well I had it pretty large earlier today with these albums...


Devil hopping by inspiral carpets

Dihannse first mentioned this band I think. I picked this album of theirs as it has Saturn 5 on it and i think it is a great tune. Having never heard this band on an album before I was surprised at how much energy they have. I really like their sound. The drumming is pretty tribal, the vocals are strong and that organ sound really propels things along. Saturn 5 was an obvious standout but I thought this sounded really good from start to finish. I'm very impressed on a first listen.

Hi Michael, I'm glad you gave The Inspiral Carpets a try but to be honest I hadn't even listened to this album myself so I did now and I must say I was a bit disappointed by it if compared with their first three albums. Of course I Want You and Saturn 5 are great but there are also a lot of clunkers to be found on this one and I really have the impression that they gotten a bit out of breath here.
If you want those really exhiliarating organs (and songs) just go for the two first albums. Life is very good but the Beast Inside is just amazing.

The Beast Inside by Inspiral Carpets
The Title song, Please Be Cruel, Born Yesterday and Sleep Well Tonight are wonderful tracks but the real standout is the 13'40'' long Further Away, the best psychedelic/mesmerising 90's track around in my opinion. The Allmusic reviewer wasn't too wild about this album compared to Life but just read the comment to that review by Jairo Dutra who delves deeper into each individual track: I couldn't comment on the album in a better way. All in all: this album is ranked 40th in my overall one album per artist top chart.


Thanks Dihannse ๐Ÿ˜„ I need to give those earlier ones a try. Particularly if better than this one. I notice its fairly low compared to the others in its BEA ranking. I did actually like the energy though! Maybe I'll feel differently once I'm more familiar with this band.

I'm very interested to hear your and Bobby's opinion on the first two albums, whichever one you decide to listen to ๐Ÿ˜„ They're both great.
  • Quote
dihansse wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
dihansse wrote:

Hi Michael, I'm glad you gave The Inspiral Carpets a try but to be honest I hadn't even listened to this album myself so I did now and I must say I was a bit disappointed by it if compared with their first three albums. Of course I Want You and Saturn 5 are great but there are also a lot of clunkers to be found on this one and I really have the impression that they gotten a bit out of breath here.
If you want those really exhiliarating organs (and songs) just go for the two first albums. Life is very good but the Beast Inside is just amazing.

The Beast Inside by Inspiral Carpets
The Title song, Please Be Cruel, Born Yesterday and Sleep Well Tonight are wonderful tracks but the real standout is the 13'40'' long Further Away, the best psychedelic/mesmerising 90's track around in my opinion. The Allmusic reviewer wasn't too wild about this album compared to Life but just read the comment to that review by Jairo Dutra who delves deeper into each individual track: I couldn't comment on the album in a better way. All in all: this album is ranked 40th in my overall one album per artist top chart.


Thanks Dihannse ๐Ÿ˜„ I need to give those earlier ones a try. Particularly if better than this one. I notice its fairly low compared to the others in its BEA ranking. I did actually like the energy though! Maybe I'll feel differently once I'm more familiar with this band.

I'm very interested to hear your and Bobby's opinion on the first two albums, whichever one you decide to listen to ๐Ÿ˜„ They're both great.


Will try to give them both a try in the next couple of weeks and will post a few thoughts. I didn't notice your comment below the album cover before. Definitely want to check out that longer psychedelic track ๐Ÿ˜Ž

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 333435 ... 444546  Next
Page 34 of 46


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] Grunge vs Britpop LedZep Music
[ Poll ] Rec me some Britpop! Guest Music
Britpop JohnnyRocketFingers Music
Swearing and name-calling Guest Suggestions
[ Poll ] ENDED London Calling Vs. Ramones (ACT) Hayden Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.