Who's the most overrated band ever?

Goto page Previous  123456789
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Quote:
I like all of those bands ๐Ÿคฃ Except maybe RATM, they have great riffs by I don't like that squeaky preacher that poses as a singer.


I cannot cannot cannot believe I just read this. He is a singer, you're misunderstanding what a singer is. Preaching should be what music is about, preaching for what you're passionate about. I couldn't name a single legendary artist who isn't a preacher. You don't like it because you're threatened.
  • Quote

Fire Of God's Love by Sister Irene O'Connor

shes not a preacher shes a nun or something
  • Quote
benfitzuk wrote:
Quote:
I like all of those bands ๐Ÿคฃ Except maybe RATM, they have great riffs by I don't like that squeaky preacher that poses as a singer.


I cannot cannot cannot believe I just read this. He is a singer, you're misunderstanding what a singer is. Preaching should be what music is about, preaching for what you're passionate about. I couldn't name a single legendary artist who isn't a preacher. You don't like it because you're threatened.

A. a singer is not necessarily a preacher.

B. preaching is not necessarily what music is about.

III. you can't name a single legend who doesn't preach? i don't recall Liz Fraser ever preaching, and she's one of the greatest singers of all time, imho.

D. the presumption that being put off by preachy music has anything to do with cowardice is bizarre to me.

perhaps there is a difference of opinion in what the definition of the word "is" is? or preaching in this case....

1. bono sings "get out of your own way" on the new album. here, he is telling his listeners what to do. this is preachy. it's also kind of obnoxious and unnecessary. do i agree with the idea that sometimes, we block our own shots? sure. but the wagging his finger in your face thing is rather grating.

2. back in the 80s, bono wrote sunday bloody sunday. in this song, bono mourns the bitterness and anger around him. he asks questions - how long to sing this song? he describes the things he sees. he speaks truth into a situation without assigning blame or getting up on his high horse. the song is political, and it's a call to action, but it doesn't come off as preachy to me.

3. in where the streets have no name, bono tells us what sort of world he wants to live in - one where poverty is eradicated. a world where the street you live on does not dictate whether you live or die, whether you're rich or poor, etc. and once again, bono writes a beautiful, relate-able song that has a message, but it doesn't cram his rhetoric down your throat.

and so there's a fine line between what i would call preachy and not... and bono skirts that line a lot. but speaking truth into music is a far cry from sticking it down your throat.
_________________
follow me on the bandcamp.
  • Quote
Pavarotti NEVER preaches.
  • Quote
benfitzuk wrote:
Quote:
I like all of those bands ๐Ÿคฃ Except maybe RATM, they have great riffs by I don't like that squeaky preacher that poses as a singer.


I cannot cannot cannot believe I just read this. He is a singer, you're misunderstanding what a singer is. Preaching should be what music is about, preaching for what you're passionate about. I couldn't name a single legendary artist who isn't a preacher. You don't like it because you're threatened.


I don't mind the lyrics, just his delivery. Also that last sentence is truly hillarious.
_________________
All time

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Quote
Daydreamer wrote:
I cannot cannot cannot believe I just read this. He is a singer, you're misunderstanding what a singer is. Preaching should be what music is about, preaching for what you're passionate about. I couldn't name a single legendary artist who isn't a preacher. You don't like it because you're threatened.


I don't mind the lyrics, just his delivery. Also that last sentence is truly hillarious.[/quote]

benefitzuk knows how to speak his mind ๐Ÿ‘
  • Quote
benfitzuk wrote:
Quote:
I like all of those bands ๐Ÿคฃ Except maybe RATM, they have great riffs by I don't like that squeaky preacher that poses as a singer.


I cannot cannot cannot believe I just read this. He is a singer, you're misunderstanding what a singer is. Preaching should be what music is about, preaching for what you're passionate about. I couldn't name a single legendary artist who isn't a preacher. You don't like it because you're threatened.



Are you referring to this kind of "threatened"?

[quote="benfitzuk"]
Quote:
I cannot cannot cannot stand religious music at all. i just hate it so so much. i mean it is a little biased coming from a strong atheists point of view but seriously. someone back me up here. I can't stand all that 'I love Jesus' shit and I seriously think it just needs to get shut down really. Spiritual music is fine, because it's different, and we let George Harrison off as a spiritual musician, but people like TobyMac and Mercy me are just plain bad.

_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123456789
Page 9 of 9


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] Most overrated band on BEA GARY Music
Overrated Underrated Bands and Underr... Guest Music
[ Poll ] Is shoopadoowop the most overrated us... CubaZed Music
[ Poll ] Most overrated artists? NMHohyeah Music
[ Poll ] Is Pet Sounds the most overrated album? shoopadoowop Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.