RYM got this one right. Something that was not even on the DB, but it has a couple hundred solid ratings on there. I was honestly worried my speakers may be destroyed with this one. Great googly-moogly it's exhausting to listen to at times. The album is actually pretty short at only 36 minutes, but the 18 minute closer is an exercise in punishment. There are also enough moments of respite to create a captivating and rewarding listen. It's not a constant pummeling of noise but a calculated one. Adding to my chart, because it was exactly what I was looking for.
Tilly, so many great options, but I want you to listen to GZA's "Liquid Swords".
"Blue" Gene Tyranny- Out of The Blue
Hanne Hukkelberg- Rykestrasse 68
Stara Rzeka - Cieล chmury nad ukrytym polem
Enno Velthuys - Vreemde Landen, Vol. 1
20/20- 20/20
Brighter Death Now - Necrose Evangelicum
Deep Puddle Dynamics - The Taste of Rain... Why Kneel?
Kevin Drumm- Sheer Hellish Miasma
Wolf Eyes- Human Animal
Arcane Device- Trout
Damn this was excellent. There was a lot of variety on this album that kept me engaged throughout it's run time. Hell it make's me curious if there was anything wrong with this album. But I would need to verify with multiple listens. Otherwise this was an excellent record.
Grade:90 but could be a 95 in the future.
(2)
Chief listen to Wolf Eyes
(3)
Best Ever Albums 2001 List
#16 Gold-Ryan Adams
#28 Room For Squares-John Mayer
#36 Asleep In The Back-Elbow
#43 The Invisible Band-Travis
#44 Your Favorite Weapon-Brand New
#49 Brushfire Fairytales-Jack Johnson
#50 Love is Here-Starsailor
#51 The Photo Album-Death Cab For Cutie
#55 I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings-Radiohead
#57 10000 Hz Legend-Air
Damn this was excellent. There was a lot of variety on this album that kept me engaged throughout it's run time. Hell it make's me curious if there was anything wrong with this album. But I would need to verify with multiple listens. Otherwise this was an excellent record.
Grade:90 but could be a 95 in the future.
Nice! Glad you like it! One of my faves from that year. ๐
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
A cathartic blast of hardcore punk energy. I enjoyed this a lot. More than I was expecting. Henry Rollins is a good frontman. Can see it being a grower in the future. Will have to check out My War at some point. This review is also cheesy humor. 3.5/5.
~~~~~
2. Luigii, I guess I would want to check out the Death Cab For Cutie album the most.
~~~~~
3. BEA Top Rated Chart Sampler [pick 5 of 5]
41. ledemoncleaner: 46. Red Medicine - Fugazi
42. 19loveless91: 1. Odbrana I Poslednji Dani - Idoli
43. Jimmy Dread: 5. Cruel Sister - Pentangle
44. SomeoneInNewYork: 1. Garden Of Delete - Oneohtrix Point Never
45. Weepingguitarman: 42. I See A Darkness - Bonnie โPrinceโ Billy
46. CellarDoor: 8. Ocean Songs - Dirty Three
47. meccalecca: 5. Atomic Bomb - William Onyeabor
48. Onetwo12: 19. Immunity - Jon Hopkins
49. SuedeSwede: 4. ใฆใใผใฆใใผใฆใใฆใ(ใโใ) Speed ใขใซใใ - Caramell
50. MrFrogger: 10. Relationship Of Command - At The Drive-In _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
Another Wolf Eyes album in the bag, which was better than the last one, because of added saxophone freakouts, and more passages of pure chaos.
The final track "Noise Not Music" is a great treatise for the genre, with Aaron Dilloway screaming "WE MAKE NOISE, NOT MUSIC!!!!!" Some of the delivery verges on comical.
Glad you like Damaged Baystate. "My War" and "Slip It In" draw the songs out to longer lengths, and are more of a precursor to sludge metal than pure hardcore punk like Damaged.
A lot of good ones to choose from. Let's go with Ocean Songs.
"Blue" Gene Tyranny- Out of The Blue
Hanne Hukkelberg- Rykestrasse 68
Stara Rzeka - Cieล chmury nad ukrytym polem
Enno Velthuys - Vreemde Landen, Vol. 1
20/20- 20/20
Brighter Death Now - Necrose Evangelicum
Deep Puddle Dynamics - The Taste of Rain... Why Kneel?
Kevin Drumm- Sheer Hellish Miasma
Arcane Device- Trout
The Conet Project (This is almost 5 hours long, so keep that in mind)
I definitely do think this is a great album. But compared to there 2000 album this doesn't hit the same highs. Hopefully there 2003 record gets me pumped due to being one of the best for that year. Otherwise I will Grade it an 85.
(2)
Listen to the 20/20 album.
(3)
Best Ever Albums 2001 List
#16 Gold-Ryan Adams
#28 Room For Squares-John Mayer
#36 Asleep In The Back-Elbow
#43 The Invisible Band-Travis
#44 Your Favorite Weapon-Brand New
#49 Brushfire Fairytales-Jack Johnson
#50 Love is Here-Starsailor
#55 I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings-Radiohead
#58 Just Enough Education To Perform-Stereophonics
#59 All Killer No Filler-Sum 41
And here is the first clean up for 2000
BEA 2000 Canon List Clean Up #1
#95 The Complete Hot Five and Seven Recordings-Louis Armstrong (It's 4 hours for some context)
A cathartic blast of hardcore punk energy. I enjoyed this a lot. More than I was expecting. Henry Rollins is a good frontman. Can see it being a grower in the future. Will have to check out My War at some point. This review is also cheesy humor. 3.5/5.
~~~~~
On my very first chart when I joined this site, this was #3 or #4 on my overall. Arguably the greatest punk/hardcore album of all time.
Luigii, the live Radiohead album is the only one I've heard. Go for it.
"Blue" Gene Tyranny- Out of The Blue
Hanne Hukkelberg- Rykestrasse 68
Stara Rzeka - Cieล chmury nad ukrytym polem
Enno Velthuys - Vreemde Landen, Vol. 1
Brighter Death Now - Necrose Evangelicum
Deep Puddle Dynamics - The Taste of Rain... Why Kneel?
Kevin Drumm- Sheer Hellish Miasma
Arcane Device- Trout
The Conet Project (This is almost 5 hours long, so keep that in mind)
Killing Joke- Hosannas from The Basements of Hell
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
This is cool. Post-rock and slowcore put together, with no vocals. The atmosphere is indeed oceanic. A very pleasant way to spend 67 minutes, but there's not a lot to latch on to in terms of standout moments. 3.5/5.
~~~~~
2. Sheer Hellish Miasma sounds interesting.
~~~~~
3. BEA / RYM Chart Mashup [pick 1 of 5]
102. [BEA] Back In Black - AC/DC
137. [RYM] The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Live 1966 - The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert - Bob Dylan
140. [BEA] Hot Fuss - The Killers
170. [BEA] Tommy - The Who
172. [BEA] Black Holes And Revelations - Muse
175. [RYM] Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull
185. [RYM] Blackwater Park - Opeth
188. [RYM] Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
195. [RYM] The Number Of The Beast - Iron Maiden
196. [BEA] Dirt - Alice In Chains _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum