You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 137138139 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
1.


In The Flat Field by Bauhaus

The debut album by arguably the first gothic rock band. Very cool stuff. Before listening to this I checked out their debut single "Bela Lugosi's Dead," which was great. As a whole, this album doesn't sustain that level of quality, but it never loses my interest, going in cool directions even when the songwriting isn't top-notch. Will definitely listen again later. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Try the Moodymann album I suppose:


Black Mahogani by Moodymann

~~~~~

3. BEA Top Rated Chart Sampler

101. Daydreamer: 26. Love Over Gold - Dire Straits
102. edubs: 25. Aja - Steely Dan
103. dividesbyzero: 1. House Masters - Frankie Knuckles
104. sageamagoo: 2. Meรฐ Suรฐ รญ Eyrum Viรฐ Spilum Endalaust - Sigur Rรณs
105. martinjaa: 14. Up The Bracket - The Libertines
106. BLO: 3. A New World Record - Electric Light Orchestra
107. Christovskee: 19. Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys
108. benpaco: 4. The Midnight Organ Fight - Frightened Rabbit
109. Jimmy Dread: 1. First Songs - Kleenex
110. SquishypuffDave: 13. Fever Ray - Fever Ray
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

How To Live With A Phantom by Shintaro Sakamoto

A light and breezy album that was an enjoyable listen. A variety of influences seem present from soft rock, yacht rock, jazz, folk, psych pop and others. Every song seemed to have a different style however at the same time the album as a whole maintained a consistent tone and feel. I know nothing about this person/band but I got the impression this was made by a music lover with eclectic tastes just having some fun making music for himself. 7.5/10 and 19/30 for 2011.

Listen to Frightened Rabbit Bay.


The Midnight Organ Fight by Frightened Rabbit


Jameth's best of 2010's (5 picks)

1. The Centennial Collection by Robert Johnson (I have heard most of these from other comps)
2. Ben Johnston: String Quartets Nos. 6, 7, & 8 by Kepler Quartet
3. Colours Of The Night by ู…ุญู…ูˆุฏ ๏ฏ•ูŠู†ูŠุงโ€Ž [Mahmoud Guinia]
4. All Bitches Die by Lingua Ignota
6. Plyta Tatarska by Karolina Cicha & Bart Palyga
7. For The World by Ed Askew
8. Out Of The Coma by Comus
9. Ben Johnston: String Quartets Nos. 1, 5 & 10 by Kepler Quartet
10. Bedouine by Bedouine
12. Just Piping by Michael Cooney
  • Quote
My 2010s chart is ass...itโ€™s my least listened to decade. But I do have a few I can sneak in for you.
  • Quote
It doesn't matter. It's an oppurtunty to explore some obscure music I probably otherwise wouldn't. Robert Johnson and Comus are the only artists. I've listened to....and Comus was because of thanks to this project.
  • Quote
Understood, man. I did freshen it up and add a few, though.
  • Quote

Black Mahogani by Moodymann

The homogenization of EDM and house music on an international level has diluted what once was a rich and fascinating music scene, and I feel like a lot of people don't even associate House music as being rooted in Black American culture anymore. Moodymann is not one of those people. This album is close to being as essential as one of my favorites, "Chill Out", when it comes to utilizing all of the elements that make House music special. It will take a few more listens for me to fully appreciate what's going on here, but I can already tell that some of these tracks will be put into heavy rotation.

Purple, Mamoud Guinia.

Liekki- Korppi
Artesia - Llydaw
Alberich - NATO-Uniformen (Crap, the next 4 hour album)
RLW - Points Of Reference
The Toy Matinee- Toy Matinee
Die Verbannten Kinder Evas - In darkness let me dwell
Susumu Hirasawa- Kyuusai no Gihou
Univers Zero - Heresie
Michael Boothmanโ€Žโ€“ Waiting For Your Love / What You Won't Do For Love (This is a single, but it's about EP length)
Dubstar - Disgraceful
  • Quote

Colours Of The Night by ู…ุญู…ูˆุฏ ๏ฏ•ูŠู†ูŠุงโ€Ž [Mahmoud Guinia]

This is the first album I've heard from a Moroccan artist. Some cool African rhythyms with Arabic chanting that had me in a bit of a trance actually for the whole album. 8/10 and 66/100 for 2017.

Let's try Toy Matinee Rocka.


Toy Matinee by Toy Matinee

Jameth's best of 2010's (4 picks remaining)

1. The Centennial Collection by Robert Johnson (I have heard most of these from other comps)
2. Legend by The Bulgarian Voices Angelite / Huun-Huur-Tu / The Moscow Art Trio
3. Ben Johnston: String Quartets Nos. 6, 7, & 8 by Kepler Quartet
5. All Bitches Die by Lingua Ignota
7. Plyta Tatarska by Karolina Cicha & Bart Palyga
8. For The World by Ed Askew
9. Choral Settings Of Kassiani by Patricia Rozario / English Chamber Choir / Guy Protheroe / Alexander Lingas
11. Out Of The Coma by Comus
12. Ben Johnston: String Quartets Nos. 1, 5 & 10 by Kepler Quartet
15. Java by Sambasunda Quintet.
  • Quote

Toy Matinee by Toy Matinee

It's always interesting when the people behind the scenes get a chance to be on center stage. This album is a group of session musicians fronted by Madonna's longtime collaborator, Patrick Leonard. It's a mixed bag with the music being well-produced and written, but the execution lacks enough originality to be great. I found this one while combing through the RYM "Progressive Pop" rankings, and it delivers on that front; it is pop music with some extra musical flourishes.

I never listened to the new Comus album, but I bet it's interesting.

Liekki- Korppi
Artesia - Llydaw
Alberich - NATO-Uniformen (Crap, the next 4 hour album)
RLW - Points Of Reference
Die Verbannten Kinder Evas - In darkness let me dwell
Susumu Hirasawa- Kyuusai no Gihou
Univers Zero - Heresie
Michael Boothmanโ€Žโ€“ Waiting For Your Love / What You Won't Do For Love (This is a single, but it's about EP length)
Dubstar - Disgraceful
Circulation- Colors
  • Quote
1.


The Midnight Organ Fight by Frightened Rabbit

This is an album that's very focused on vocals and lyrics. The instrumentation is mostly a backdrop, and it's pretty standard indie rock/pop with some folk elements. Unfortunately for me, I'm not a big fan of the lead singer's voice. It could have at least used some backing vocals as a counterpoint. The lyrics are angsty and depressive (in a way that also goes for profundity), and foreshadow his 2018 suicide. This isn't a bad album at all. But either I was in the wrong mood for it, or it just isn't my thing. 2.5/5.

~~~~~

2. This looks cool:


Korppi by Liekki

~~~~~

3. Now I'm going to try out the top forum posters list, including only charts updated in 2018 or 2019. First stop is albummaster's overall:

4. Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
9. Safe As Milk - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band
10. Lรกgrimas Negras - Bebo & Cigala
14. In Concert Houston-Lyon - Jean Michel Jarre
15. C'era Una Volta Il West [Once Upon A Time In The West] - Ennio Morricone
16. Screamadelica - Primal Scream
18. King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown - Augustus Pablo
20. Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits
21. The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld - The Orb
23. Ciudad De Las Ideas - Vicente Amigo
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
(1)


Pieces Of A Man by Gil Scott-Heron

This is a phenomenal record at all levels. The backing band is incredible (I recognize Bernard Purdie's name...and just look at that discography), and each and every track they pump out incredible music that feels exactly right. GSH's fragile baritone is emotionally hard-hitting and his delivery seems pretty unusual. On "I Think I'll Call It Morning", for instance, he drops the first note of certain lyrics down into the bass register...I didn't catch this until my second listen and it blew me away. Maybe it's a commonly heard technique in R&B or soul, but there are some nuances in his singing that I find incredible. The lyrics are, of course, thought-provoking and well written. I don't know of any other lyricists with a Master's degree writing for a popular form of music, but I wish I did. "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" was in response to a track by The Last Poets, so I'm eager to dive down that rabbit hole for some more literary tracks. I'm also gonna check out Small Talk, Free Will, and Winter In America real soon.

I'm putting this at 5/72 for 1971.

(2)

Bay, listen to Ennio Morricone. I've been meaning to listen to some of his work myself.


C'Era Una Volta Il West [Once Upon A Time In The West] by Ennio Morricone

(3)

Bay's Greatest Albums:

9. Modern Vampires Of The City // Vampire Weekend
11. Telefone // Noname
12. In A Silent Way // Miles Davis
16. Trouble Will Find Me // The National
18. Boxer // The National
19. Curtis // Curtis Mayfield
20. Presenting The Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica // The Ronettes
21. Donuts // J Dilla
23. The Smile Sessions // The Beach Boys
28. What's Going On // Marvin Gaye

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 137138139 ... 444445446  Next
Page 138 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.