A fun album I quite enjoyed. Interesting use of TV/film/radio? show samples to tell a story between the songs. 7.5/10 and 30/45 for 2004.
I haven't heard any of those albums Baystate but there's a handful of interesting ones, making it a tough choice. Let's go with something I might otherwise never get to listen to - some traditional Bolivian music.
Baystates best of the 2000's and Tunes To Give You Toothaches (4 picks left)
4. Late Registration by Kanye West
9. The Life Pursuit by Belle And Sebastian
10. Let's Get Out Of This Country by Camera Obscura
12. Night Falls Over Kortedala by Jens Lekman
13. My Maudlin Career by Camera Obscura
14. Push Barman To Open Old Wounds by Belle And Sebastian
18. Gimix by The Avalanches
19. The Blueprint by Jay-Z (I don't have Tidal)
----------------------------
18. Devotion by Beach House
19. Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant by Belle And Sebastian
25. Oh, Inverted World by The Shins
Metaphorical Music by Nujabes
It felt like an hour of lo-fi hip hop beats for studying. Which is both a good and a bad thing. It was chill and fun, but not really great or unique imo. A solid album though, and one that I'd love to revisit sometime in the future but for now it doesn't do that much for me. 7/10
(2)
Let's see what you have to say 'bout Kanye's sophomore album, Purple.
(3)
Hayden's Top albums of 2000s (8 to go)
4. Belle And Sebastian - Push Barman To Open Old Wounds
7. Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabaté - In The Heart Of The Moon
10. Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens
11. Panda Bear - Person Pitch
12. The Books - The Lemon Of Pink
14. Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender
15. Grouper - Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill
16. Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala
18. D'Angelo - Voodoo
22. M.I.A. - Kala _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
Cool, I randomly listened to your pick a few hours after it was made?? :shrug:
I think I enjoyed it a little more than you. It starts off pretty slow, but the last three tracks are sublime. My first take is that it's stronger than the more popular Modal Soul.
City Pop is one of the best things to happen in the Japanese music scene, and this album is one of the best I've heard. The catchy songs are there, the musicianship is great, and the album has some beautiful and chilled-out jams, too. It's basically like the best weather channel music you've ever heard, and I'm totally on board for it.
Ledzep, Grouper is well-worth a listen.
Susumu Hirasawa- Kyuusai no Gihou
Charles Wuorinen- Time's Encomium (For Synthesized & Processed Synthesized Sound)
Vlad Tepes / Belkètre – March To The Black Holocaust (This one may be too scary)
in slaughter natives - in slaughter natives
Regis- Gymnastics
Roberto Cacciapaglia - The Ann Steel Album
Jason Lescaleet- The Pilgrim
Seaside Lovers-Memories in Beach House
FINGERS INC - Another Side
David Shea - Satyricon
The Last Emperor - The Legend of Bigfoot
Before I start Chief's comment about City Pop is correct. Now lets continue.
(1)
Now this album I have to admit I was actually caught off guard by how I enjoy this album a lot. The album I would say has a vibe that sounds somewhat inspired by bossa nova qualities that makes these songs jump out and have presence. Like, this album makes me realized that I might have been too nice for the Jack Johnson album due to how this album slaps. Now I would say my complaint for this album would be once I got to 3X5, I realized that this album does tend to get somewhat samey with the sound of the album. Kinda wish the variety was presented throughout the record or had the rest of the tracks went to some interesting directions. Though I do want to preface this since I don't hate any track off of this. Hell maybe over time, this album might grow even higher in my favor if I ever give this another opportunity. But not only was I surprised but was also somewhat enamored by it. So grade wise, this would be a 90. Could be higher later on but you never know if it goes down with my favor.
(2)
Chief listen to Regis
(3)
Best Ever Albums 2001 List
#44 Your Favorite Weapon-Brand New
#50 Love is Here-Starsailor
#62 Full Collapse-Thursday
#71 Jessico-Babasonicos
#73 Invincible-Michael Jackson
#77 Know Your Enemy-Manic Street Preachers
#86 Bath-Maudlin Of The Wall
#89 Rock Steady-No Doubt
#90 Any Other City-Life Without Buildings
#91 Echolalia-Something For Kate
I'm not wasting my time adding this one, because it was subpar. The hard-hitting techno sound was great, but each song was pretty much just the same loop for five minutes with no dynamics whatsoever. Not good.
Life Without Buildings is a great one from 2001.
Susumu Hirasawa- Kyuusai no Gihou
Charles Wuorinen- Time's Encomium (For Synthesized & Processed Synthesized Sound)
Vlad Tepes / Belkètre – March To The Black Holocaust (This one may be too scary)
in slaughter natives - in slaughter natives
Roberto Cacciapaglia - The Ann Steel Album
Jason Lescaleet- The Pilgrim
FINGERS INC - Another Side
David Shea - Satyricon
The Last Emperor - The Legend of Bigfoot
Merzbow - Ecobondage
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
Andean folk music, more specifically harawi and huayno according to RYM. She's talented and this sounds very nice, but given my lack of knowledge / musical reference points I don't have much to say other than I really enjoyed it. 3.5/5.
3. On to page two of the top forum posters list, with videoheadcleaner's chart:
1. The Colour Of Spring - Talk Talk
5. Ravedeath, 1972 - Tim Hecker
6. Nail - Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel
7. The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Various Artists
9. The Eraser - Thom Yorke
12. War Stories - UNKLE
13. Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds - Jeff Wayne
14. Songs From The Big Chair - Tears For Fears
15. From The Lion's Mouth - The Sound
16. Like Drawing Blood - Gotye _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
So, this was my first foray into drum and bass/jungle material, ditto for the (poorly named) genre of illbient. This album seems to fuse so many styles that I guess it isn't the best window into any one in particular...not really important though. "Sleep" and "Still Life" stack noise, ambience, and drums very well; somehow nothing sounds as if it's competing for attention. There's also, somehow, some really lovely melody snaking its way through all the noise and layers of ambience, especially on "Still Life", which has this cool dynamic, where it's seemingly this cohesive song, yet the tempos seem to vary from one part to another, so it's teetering towards avant-garde. "Once When I Was An Indian" is my favorite track. It's an excellent bit of minimalism to soak yourself in..the 12 minute runtime is correct.
1. Satie: 3 Gymnopédies & Other Piano Works // Pascal Rogé
2. The Piano Music Of Henry Cowell // Henry Cowell
3. Krzysztof Penderecki: St Luke Passion // Krzysztof Penderecki / National Radio Symphony Orchestra / Warsaw National Philharmonic Chorus
4. Krenek: Lamentatio Jeremiae Prophetae // Marcus Creed / RIAS Kammerchor
5. Canto Ostinato // Simeon Ten Holt
7. Lisbon // Keith Fullerton Whitman
9. Arrange And Process Basic Channel Tracks // Scion
10. Live At The Liquid Room - Tokyo // Jeff Mills
12. Persian Surgery Dervishes // Terry Riley
13. Wind // Gigi Masin
I don't know why it took me so long to find out about this record, saying as though I love Larry Heard and Robert Owens, but I 'm glad I finally gave this a spin. It deserves it's repuation as a house classic, and it was the next logical progression for the House genre. Maybe not quite as good as Larry's "Mr. Fingers" records, but it's close.
Henry Cowell is the absolute man. His Symphonies are worth a listen, but his piano music was pretty cool too.
Susumu Hirasawa- Kyuusai no Gihou
Charles Wuorinen- Time's Encomium (For Synthesized & Processed Synthesized Sound)
Vlad Tepes / Belkètre – March To The Black Holocaust (This one may be too scary)
in slaughter natives - in slaughter natives
Roberto Cacciapaglia - The Ann Steel Album
Jason Lescalleet- The Pilgrim
David Shea - Satyricon
The Last Emperor - The Legend of Bigfoot
Merzbow - Ecobondage
Gareth Williams & Mary Currie- Flaming Tunes
Purplepashranker, rater, & music list makerProfile Western Australia
This is the sixth Kanye album I've listened to (seventh if you include Kids See Ghosts) and they all follow a similar pattern for me. Every album has one amazing song - Gold Digger in this case. It was the first Kanye song I ever heard, a great singalong song at the time, that still gets played regularly at parties etc, and always goes down well. Then there's a few great songs - Touch The Sky, Diamonds From Sierra Leone, and Heard 'Em Say. There's always some awful songs - in this case the pointless, repetitive skits, and Bring Me Down. And the rest is filler, usually leading to too long an album - I do appreciate the shorter Ye and Kids See Ghosts. I like that he always experiments and tries different things but not everything works. It's very hit and miss. But I'll still keep listening to his albums. So Yeezus is still my favourite Kanye album, followed by Kids See Ghosts, and this album is just below My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. 7/10 & 29/33 for 2005.
Baystate's best of the 2000's and Tunes To Give You Toothaches (3 picks left)
9. The Life Pursuit by Belle And Sebastian
10. Let's Get Out Of This Country by Camera Obscura
12. Night Falls Over Kortedala by Jens Lekman
13. My Maudlin Career by Camera Obscura
14. Push Barman To Open Old Wounds by Belle And Sebastian
18. Gimix by The Avalanches
19. The Blueprint by Jay-Z (I don't have Tidal)
----------------------------
18. Devotion by Beach House
19. Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant by Belle And Sebastian
25. Oh, Inverted World by The Shins
33. Music To Climb The Apple Tree By by Beat Happening
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum