Interesting - never heard an album open up with a vocal thank you/introduction like this. Live, sure, but never in a studio record. It's a bit like a thank you/introduction/commercial... Anyway. There's something about this record that I like actually. It reminds me of Roy Orbison or Willie Nelson. It's not my favorite thing, but it just feels right somehow. I think I would've barfed when I was younger trying to listen to this, but imagining a smokey bar and some whiskey - somehow both broken, yet full of hope. It's an aesthetic I've always loved (the bittersweet), but neither is this record great at it. IDK - I got sucked in, so gotta give him something ok - 3/75. I just believed it somehow. I think it'd be better if it were an E.P. Though... I got a bit bored.
2. Cheif, D.D.A.A- La Famille Des Saltimbanques is calling to me, so maybe it'll sing for you.
3. Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (557/1001)
Don't Come Home a Drinkin' (With Lovin' on Your Mind) Loretta Lynn 1960s 1967
Headquarters The Monkees 1960s 1967
Groovin' The Young Rascals 1960s 1967
Caetano Veloso Caetano Veloso 1960s 1968
Eli and the Thirteenth Confession Laura Nyro 1960s 1968
The Sounds of India Ravi Shankar 1960s 1968
Ogden's Nut Gone Flake Small Face 1960s 1968 (needs rating)
Traffic Traffic 1960s 1968
Oar Alexandar Spence 1960s 1969
Odessa Bee Gees 1960s 1969 (needs rating)
Unhalfbricking Fairport Convention 1960s 1969Songs from a Room Leonard Cohen 1960s 1969Basket of Light Pentangle 1960s 1969The Gilded Palace of Sin The Flying Burrito Bros 1960s 1969Cloud Nine The Temptations 1960s 1969Elephant Mountain The Youngbloods 1960s 1969Happy Sad Tim Buckley 1960s 1969Mott the Hoople Mott the Hoople 1960s 1969Ananda Shankar Ananda Shankar 1970s 1970Sweet Baby James James Taylor 1970s 1970Gasoline Alley Rod Stewart 1970s 1970Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus Spirit 1970s 1970Stephen Stills Stephen Stills 1970s 1970The Madcap Laughs Syd Barrett 1970s 1970Close to You The Carpenters 1970s 1970Absolutely Live The Doors 1970s 1970John Barleycorn Must Die Traffic 1970s 1970Trafalgar Bee Gees 1970s 1971If I Could Only Remember My Name David Crosby 1970s 1971Coat of Many Colors Dolly Parton 1970s 1971Madman Across the Water Elton John 1970s 1971Tarkus Emerson, Lake, & Palmer 1970s 1971A Nod's As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse Faces 1970s 1971Live! Fela Kuti & Africa 70 with Ginger Baker 1970s 1971Teenage Head Flamin' Groovies 1970s 1971White Light Gene Clark 1970s 1971Shaft: Music from the Soundtrack Isaac Hayes 1970s 1971John Prine John Prine 1970s 1971Songs of Love and Hate Leonard Cohen 1970s 1971Manassas Manassas 1970s 1971Every Picture Tells a Story Rod Stewart 1970s 1971Let's Stay Together Al Green 1972Transa Caetano Veloso 1972American Gothic David Ackles 1972Made in Japan Deep Purple 1972Eagles Eagles 1972Pictures at an Exhibition Emerson, Lake, & Palmer 1972Home Is Where the Music Is Hugh Masekela 1972Will the Circle be Unbroken Nitty Gritty Dirt Band 1972Sail Away Randy Newman 1972Slayed? Slade 1972The Slider T. Rex 1972All Directions The Temptations 1972Greetings From LA Tim Buckley 1972Something/Anything? Todd Rundgren 1972The World Is a Ghetto WAR 1972Chrono Trigger Original Sound Version Yasunori Mitsuda (1972) 1972Space Ritual Hawkwind 19733 + 3 Isley Brothers 1973Solid Air John Martyn 1973Countdown to Ecstasy Steely Dan 1973Bongo Rock The Incredible Bongo Band 1973Next The Sensational Alex Harvey Band 1973A Wizard, A True Star Todd Rundgren 1973American Graffiti Soundtrack Various Artists 1973Honky Tonk HeroesWaylon Jennings 1973Tres Hombres ZZ Top 1973Sheet Music 10cc 1974Bad Company Bad Company 1974461 Ocean Boulevard Eric Clapton 1974No Other Gene Clark 1974The Grand Tour George Jones 1974Winter in America Gil Scott-Heron 1974Grievous Angel Gram Parsons 1974Court and Spark Joni Mitchell 1974Autobahn Kraftwerk 1974Paul Simon in Concert: Live Rhymin' Paul Simon 1974Good Old Boys Randy Newman 1974I Want to See the Bright Lights Richard & Linda Thompson 1974Country Life Roxy Music 1974Inspiration Information Shuggie Otis 1974Kimono My House Sparks 1974Pretzel Logic Steely Dan 1974Fulfillingness' First Finale Stevie Wonder1974Phaedra Tangerine Dream 1974It's Too Late to Stop Now Van Morrison 1974Marcus Garvey Burning Spear 1975There's No Place Like America Today Curtis Mayfield 1975Young Americans David Bowie 1975Born to Be With You Dion 1975That's the Way of the World Earth, Wind & Fire 1975Pieces of the Sky Emmylou Harris 1975The Hissing of Summer Lawns Joni Mitchell 1975The Köln Concert Keith Jarrett 1975Go Girl Crazy! The Dictators 1975Nighthawks at the Diner Tom Waits 1975Godbluff Van der Graaf Generator (1975) 1975Red Headed Stranger Willie Nelson 1975Joan Armtrading Joan Armtrading 1976Hejira Joni Mitchell 1976Music From the Penguin Café Penguin Cafe Orchestra 1976Frampton Comes Alive! Peter Frampton 1976Legalize It Peter Tosh 1976Pacific Ocean Blue Dennis Wilson 1977New Boots and Panties!! Ian Dury 1977One World John Martyn 1977Hard Again Muddy Waters 1977Peter Gabriel Peter Gabriel 1977Rattus Norvegicus The Stranglers 1977Heavy Weather Weather Report 1977Babylon By Bus Bob Marley And The Wailers 1978C'est Chic Chic 1978Honky Tonk Masquerade Joe Ely 1978Real Life Magazine 1978Here, My DearMarvin Gaye 1978Dub Housing Pere Ubu 1978Public Image Limited Public Image Limited 1978Shalimar Rahul Dev Burman 1978The Scream Siouxsie & The Banshees 1978Crossing the Red Sea With The Adverts The Adverts 1978The Only Ones The Only Ones 1978Duck Stab/Buster & Glen The Residents 1978Eternally Yours The Saints 1978Live and Dangerous Thin Lizzy 1978D.o.A: The Third and Final Report of Throbbing Gristle Throbbing Gristle 1978Siembra Willie Colón & Rubén Blades 1978Germ-Free Adolescents X-Ray Spex 1978Risqué Chic 1979Armed Forces Elvis Costello 1979GI Germs 1979Movies Holger Czukay 1979Broken English Marianne Faithfull 1979Metal Box Public Image Limited 1979We Are Family Sister Sledge 1979Street Life The Crusaders 1979Machine Gun Etiquette The Damned 1979Live at the Witch Trials The Fall 1979Reggatta De Blank The Police 1979Undertones The Undertones 1979
Man, what a ride! This must be what you would get if Tangerine Dream recorded an Unplugged set. I drew that parallel while listening to “The Side of Man and Womankind”, and so because I had TD on my mind, I really was anticipating “The Side of the Machine” to be electronic. I was kind of bummed that it wasn’t, but my disappointment waned pretty quickly when I realized it was the better side of the album. It was too, too good...each instrument sounds as if it’s swirling in place separate, yet adjacent to the others...total geometric abstraction.
Also, Conrad’s improvisational violin style was obviously a huge influence on Henry Flynt, especially considering that he played with Flynt’s idol, La Monte Young.
(2)
Groovin’ isn’t my favorite of those choices, but it’s a strong album with a couple of great garage numbers and I just feel like picking it. :)
It looks like he hasn’t popped in for a while, but I was gonna do Luigii’s chart next, so here goes. I’m scared.
Luigii’s 84 Greatest Music Albums:
1. Velocity : Design : Comfort /—/ Sweet Trip
2. The Age Of Adz /—/ Sufjan Stevens
3. Caracal /—/ Disclosure
4. Geogaddi /—/ Boards Of Canada
5. Virgins /—/ Tim Hecker
6. Medúlla /—/ Björk
7. Pop /—/ Gas
9. California /—/ Mr. Bungle
10. The Mollusk /—/ Ween
11. Astral Progressions /—/ Josef Leimberg _________________ Can you play free, or in three, or agree to try something new?
Cardinal by Pinegrove
This was pretty good! I can definitely see what babyBlueSedan likes here. There's plenty of folk here mixed with the usual indie grooves. The singer Nick Levine has a great voice for this type of music, it's passionate but in a cool, lazy way. If that makes any sense. And the lyrics are good, the whole album has this theme of connecting and reconnecting with other people, as well as with yourself. So typical indie content, but it seems sincere and well put. Consistent, although a bit short album. I think the highlight is Cadmium, it has a great buildup and fantastic chorus at the end. Size of the Moon was another good one. 7.5/10
Some great lines:
"I tried travel once, I lost my keys"
"I got caught, you got those Caravaggio moves" - this one is a brilliant quote
(2)
Wow that's a lot of great stuff that's on my shortlist. Also quite a few great albums I've heard, like The Age of Adz. I heard it in this game a month or so ago, and I must've listened to it 5-6 times since then. Try it Jameth 😁
4/ Somi - Petite Afrique
8/ Autechre - NTS Session 2
15/ The Armed - Untitled
16/ Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact
19/ The Field - Looping State of Mind
20/ Mica Levi - Under the Skin OST
39/ Japandroids - Celebration Rock
41/ Ghostpoet - Dark Days + Canapés
42/ Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion
44/ Flying Lotus - You’re Dead!
--------------------------------------
46/ Blood Orange - Freetown Sound
49/ Greg Ward - Touch my Beloved Thought
50/ Oceansize - Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
Sorry from not popping in in this forum. I think the setup I was doing kinda burned me. That and the work I had during the last quarter of 2019. But I kinda call this set up somewhat over for me. I did listen to the Silent Hill 2 OST. And thought it was quite excellent. Like grade wise a 90. But I'm still here. Not only am I back in the diary section of the site, I have been going through 1997 if anyone is curious. Have almost 60 albums done. Trying to get to 250 to have a full year chart.
Also don't worry Jameth. I feel like you'll probably enjoy some of those albums.
No doubt I will (I was teasing), your chart is very eclectic. And I understand being burned out, I was away for the same reason. I got burned out on listening to new music, in particular, and needed a couple of months to enjoy what I’d found.
Good luck with 1997, man! I doubt I could stick with any one year for that long. I’ll keep an eye on your diary. _________________ Can you play free, or in three, or agree to try something new?
No doubt I will (I was teasing), your chart is very eclectic. And I understand being burned out, I was away for the same reason. I got burned out on listening to new music, in particular, and needed a couple of months to enjoy what I’d found.
Good luck with 1997, man! I doubt I could stick with any one year for that long. I’ll keep an eye on your diary.
Jane's Addiction.Faith No More. And Primus. These were the three bands that invented Alt Metal. It was 1990. Hair metal was still king. And these freaks from Cali dropped this nugget on us changing metal forever & ever. Amen. Word of it spread like wild fire in the underground scene. And it still sounds fresh this many years later. And NO ONE could manipulate the mosh pit like these guys. No one.
Primus cranked out two other essential Alt Metal albums - Sailing The Seas of Cheese & Pork Soda - before quietly sailing off my horizon. But, that's more a matter of taste. I'm not the biggest fan of their goofy sense of humor or funk metal. So for me, owning three is plenty. But all three kick serious ass and belong in any metalhead's collection. Grade: A. Essential Primus. Essential Alt Metal. Essential 1990!
========================================================================================== =======================
I've got to give you one of my kids' favorite albums...
1. Megadeth – Rust In Peace (Grade: A+. Essential Thrash)
2. Judas Priest – Painkiller
3. Slayer – Seasons in The Abyss
4. Entombed – Left Hand Path
5. Bathory – Hammerheart
6. Artillary – By Inheritance
7. Morbid Saint – Spectrum Of Death
8. Rainbow – Live In Germany 1976
9. Accept – Staying A Life
10. Kreator – Coma of Souls
11. Primus – Frizzle Fry ( Grade: A, Essential Alt Metal)
12. Neil Young – Ragged Glory
13. Danzig – II
14. Athiest – Piece Of Time
15. Obituary – Cause of Death
Although this is named after the great Picasso painting, this is not a masterpiece. It's OK, but sometimes "Experimental" music is just that, an obvious attempt to create something new, but in this case it's not great. The long track I linked was probably one of the better ones, and anything with prominent vocals was atrocious. So, not the best choice on my part. 😁
Primus does indeed suck. They suck live even more. 😎 I'll give a relisten to Artillery even though I know that I already like it.
Vanilla - Sweet Talk
His Name Is Alive - 1985-1989 Early Works
Maggi Payne-Crystal
Flamingosis - Pleasure Palette
菊池ひみこ (Himiko Kikuchi)-All Right
Riccardo Sinigaglia- Riflessi
P-MODEL - P-MODEL
Heldon - Électronique Guerilla
Cypher 7- Dead Drop
Robert John- Robert John
Nihonjin - Far Out
They suck live even more.😎 I'll give a relisten to Artillery even though I know that I already like it.
Totally. lol. I'm glad you've seen them too. Unforgettable for me. Seen them about four times. The second time was one of the greatest live experiences of my life.
Never heard Artillery so psyched to check it out. 😁
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
1959-1960 isn't my favorite era of Charles Mingus. I enjoy his three studio LPs, but find none of them to be spectacular classics. But it turns out this live performance from 1960, released sixteen years after the fact, is a whole other ballgame. The combo tears through the majority of these tracks with infectious abandon. When it gets mellower, it stays engaging. And there's even a sense of humor that comes through at times. I think the chemistry with Eric Dolphy is what really makes this all work so well. Just a great jazz record. 4/5.
~~~~~
2. Take it from the top Chief.
~~~~~
3. RYM Top Hip-Hop Albums
69. All My Heroes Are Cornballs - JPEGMAFIA
76. Mystic Stylez - Three-6 Mafia
81. Rodeo - Travis Scott
90. Death Certificate - Ice Cube
91. Sobrevivendo No Inferno - Racionais MC's
97. Nada Como Um Dia Após O Outro Dia - Racionais MC's
99. Live And Let Die - Kool G. Rap & D.J. Polo
102. Absence - Dälek
108. AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted - Ice Cube
122. Muddy Waters - Redman _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
Last edited by baystateoftheart on 02/09/2020 21:35; edited 1 time in total
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum