This is Zemenfes Kidus from Saint Kitts & Nevis, which is easy and fun to say. Rarely do I stumble upon an obscure reggae album with the production quality of Bob Marley, but here we are. This sounds like it could've been huge (if it was). Not sure what happened. Can't even figure out when it was released. Well worth a spin.
If you dig deep on the dark web there's the area of the internet called 'reverbnation', which is kinda like Bandcamp but not, and it's on there.
Upon the release of the 2005 critically acclaimed film Madagascar (dir. Eric Darnell & Tom McGrath), anybody born in the 90s became immediately attached to the country Madagascar and believed the film to be quite similar to the actual country, even though it is not the case. Either way, the penguins are great. This record from the 50s is pretty great too.
Bahamian Calypso. If you want to listen to what Sloop John B traditionally sounds like (here it's called by its original name John B. Sail), there's a great version of it on this record. Plenty of other Bahamian classics in the mix too. Land Of The Sun And The Sea is always a blast. Don't be 'too cool' for the one. Have fun.
A short time ago I finally crossed this off of Jimmy's list. It's great. Has everything you could ever want in an indie rock record and more. _________________ Doubles & Conch
Every once in a while somebody highly regarded in their field passes away and people mourn with phrases like 'they were one of the best', 'one of the greatest', etc... things like thatโ but you really can't do that here. Ennio Morricone was the best. It's not a contest. He's the greatest film composer to have ever done it.
Every film composer has something to thank Morricone for. What he decided a film score could be changed cinema forever, and for the best.
Hippies of the world unite. Not going to lie, I tried to make an album like this a number of years ago and failed miserably. It's borderline background chilling music that's arguably 'meditative', but the production's still pretty solid. Homework music, y'know?
Dilon Djindji, a Mozambican legend, dropped his first and (so far) only album at age 75. He's credited with popularizing marrabenta, a genre of music which bases its origins on "cheap musical instruments used in this music, which are often played energetically until they fall apart" and a smidge of Portuguese fado. Not a lot of Mozambican music makes it to wax, but we're lucky to have this staple at least. _________________ Doubles & Conch
Probably the shortest 'album' in this project, I think we're clocking 20 minutes here. Afrofunk with a smidge of a reggae influence. Interesting bit is that he's a boxer foremost turned bodyguard and became a musician afterwards. The dude just likes doing whatever he does.
Mdou Moctar are rolling out the punches in 2020 with a handful of jam-session 'mixtapes'. Apiece, they're almost like little concerts. It's a pretty good band just having a bit of fun. Can't say any are better than the others, but it's well worth putting one on.
99% of the time some random famous person releases an album for kicks, it's... not great. But (I can't believe I'm saying this) I'm really digging this record by The Dalai Lama. It's a solid meditative record with some beautiful instrumentation, and his vocal delivery is surprisingly strong. Might sound bizarre, but I'm recommending this one.
I think the best bit about most early calypso has to be the lyrics. Their usually shockingly poignant, sultry and smart for what was considerably a more conservative time for music. The fact we can dig any of these 40s and 50s records up is a treat.
What a find. Brilliant record. Fantastic grooves, unique soundโ glad I found this one. Just wish it was about 15 minutes longer ๐ (it's basically 4 very danceable tracks).
Hababi Funk's collection of reissued lost masterpieces is invaluable. The fact these records are being dug up and distributed is fantastic. This one just came out the other day, and it's a blast. Sudanese surf-funk, with some pretty strong vocals. Think wedding music.
Genre-defined as harawi, huayno, and tonada, it sounds like that. Which means it isn't like anything else you've heard. If you can dig it, you will. Definitely not for everyone though. Can be a bit weird on the ears, but it's rewarding for those looking to listen to something different.
We're going with a 2020 banger for Zambia. Spooky hip-hop. Very full-moon. We've got some wolves howling here. Goes hard. _________________ Doubles & Conch
Backxwash is fantastic, that album could've been a bit longer, but it's still some of the hardest hip hop of the year. In fact, I've listened to it again just yesterday after reading an article in Metal Hammer magazine, of all places. Her views on religion, growing up in Zambia, depression and transgenderism (I think that's a word?) are quite something. Glad that God Has Nothing To Do With It... is getting a lot of attention from Myke C Town, Needle Drop, RYM, Albumofheyear and similar. _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
Backxwash is fantastic, that album could've been a bit longer, but it's still some of the hardest hip hop of the year. In fact, I've listened to it again just yesterday after reading an article in Metal Hammer magazine, of all places. Her views on religion, growing up in Zambia, depression and transgenderism (I think that's a word?) are quite something. Glad that God Has Nothing To Do With It... is getting a lot of attention from Myke C Town, Needle Drop, RYM, Albumofheyear and similar.
Backxwash had a solid record out last year too (smidge short), but I'd say God Has Nothing is a more focused effort. Every track slaps in some way or another. It's the different between hip-hop/punk and hip-hop with punk mentality (being the later). Rico Nasty's doing the same thing. Keeping an eye on both of them... there's this confidence that boosts both their work to a different level.
Anyway, I'm going to be taking a short break on the project ๐ It's a little rapid fire... going to have to do some research and dig up a couple records from here and there. Should be back at it by the weekend.
If anyone has recs for Burundi, Laos, Kuwait, Honduras, Oman, Uzbekistan or Liechtenstein, shoot. _________________ Doubles & Conch
Backxwash is fantastic, that album could've been a bit longer, but it's still some of the hardest hip hop of the year. In fact, I've listened to it again just yesterday after reading an article in Metal Hammer magazine, of all places. Her views on religion, growing up in Zambia, depression and transgenderism (I think that's a word?) are quite something. Glad that God Has Nothing To Do With It... is getting a lot of attention from Myke C Town, Needle Drop, RYM, Albumofheyear and similar.
Backxwash is up for the Canadian Polaris Prize this year, and I'm assuming they'll win. Canada's too Canadian to pick a repeat winner like Caribou, Kaytranada or Lido Pimienta. The 2020 selection is shockingly mixed-nationality... I don't think it's a bad thing by any means, and every artist is based in Canada, but we've got Ethiopian, Haitian, Colombian, Zambian, Filipino and American artists on the board, and it's not like it's a big board by any means. We are a diverse bunch I suppose. :mrgreen:.
Big names are absent, which is fine โ Grimes, The Weeknd, Carly Rae Jepsen, Destroyer, Leonard Cohen, Drake, etc... but I wish Owen Pallett made the cut (he's already one once, but whatever).
Someone needs to give Ian William Craig some recognition though. Beautiful album this year. _________________ Doubles & Conch
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum