Rank 'Em: The Beach Boys

Goto page Previous  123 ... 747576 ... 174175176  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Repo wrote:


Re: Status Quo

I've heard of them, but don't think I've ever made the plunge. Any particular album, I should check out?


I think I read over this comment/question but I mean: are you kidding me? Is Status Quo so unknown in the States?
This band defined a lot of my youth maybe most because of their "hits" but they have fantastic albums as well.

So I would like to challenge you to listen to some tracks (and the albums they appear on are also their best so it's worth checking them out):
Hello with especially Roll Over Lay Down and Caroline
On The Level with Down Down
Blue For You with Mystery Song
Whatever You Want is not their greatest album but the title track has one of the best intros I know

Maybe it's something from my youth and they were indeed looked at as a band who only knew three chords and it might be a guilty pleasure but I still absolutely adore them.
  • Quote
Quote:
Is Status Quo so unknown in the States?

Yeah, I don't even think they get considered part of the 70s rock canon either.
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
Quote:
Is Status Quo so unknown in the States?

Yeah, I don't even think they get considered part of the 70s rock canon either.

Like I said, a guilty pleasure from when I was young in the mid seventies (although they started in 1962) and the Quo were all over the place in Belgium, Holland, Germany and the Uk where they more than 60 hits and appeared in Top Of The Pops more than any other band. Many of their riffs are incredible and of course they had their weak moments like Rockin' All Over The World and the terrible You're In The Army Now but, being viewed as a singles band, I do think their seventies albums deserve to be listened to, even now.
  • Quote
Quo, Piledriver, and On the Level are very very good. I need to explore them a little more. Haven't listened to them in like ten years.
  • Quote
Repo wrote:
Happy 4th, everybody!!!

It's that time again. Where I recap the ground we've covered since the start of this little diary. Part of this exercise is to suss out what The Essential Repo Punk Metal Canon looks like. Again, I will ONLY be cataloging albums that have been specifically name-checked in this diary thus far. So this is far from an exhaustive list. More of a fun, let's see how much ground we've covered as well as a nice synopsis for those keeping score at home. So here's a list BY YEAR of the albums that I feel is essential to building the ultimate punk metal discography. I will periodically update this list. And of course, I'd love to hear your thoughts & recs!


\m/_\m/____ The Repo Canon (so far)____\m/_ \m/


1958
Duane Eddy - Have โ€œTwangyโ€ Guitar Will Travel (HR)

1964
The Animals โ€“ The Animals (E)

1965
The Animals โ€“ On Tour (HR)

1969
The Stooges โ€“ The Stooges (E)
MC5 โ€“ Kick Out The Jams (E)

1970
The Stooges โ€“ Funhouse (E)
Mountain โ€“ Climbing (E)

1973
The Stooges โ€“ Raw Power (E)

1974
Kiss - Kiss (E)
UFO โ€“ Phenomenon (E)

1975
Ted Nugent - Ted Nugent (E)
UFO โ€“ Force It (E)
Scorpions - In Trance (E)
The Count Bishops โ€“ Speedball EP (HR)

1976
Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny (E)
Rainbow - Rising (E)
Scorpions - Virgin Killer (E)
UFO โ€“ Heavy Petting (E)

1977
Judas Priest - Sin After Sin (E)
AC/DC โ€“ Let There Be Rock (E)
Scorpions - Taken By Force (E)
The Count Bishops -The Count Bishops (E)
The Vibrators โ€“ Pure Mania (HR)

1978
Judas Priest - Stained Glass (E)
AC/DC โ€“ Powerage (E)
The Vibrators โ€“ V2 (HR)
Ace Frehley - Ace Frehley (HR)
Judas Priest - Killing Machine (HR)

1979
Motorhead - Overkill (E)
Motorhead - Bomber (HR)

1980
Black Sabbath โ€“ Heaven & Hell (HOF)
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (HOF)
Ozzy Osbourne โ€“ Blizzard Of Oz (HOF)
Motorhead โ€“ Ace Of Spades (HOF)
Van Halen - Women and Children First (HOF)
Judas Priest - British Steel (HOF)
AC/DC โ€“ Back In Black (HOF)
Saxon - Strong Arm Of The Law (E)
Saxon - Wheels Of Steel (HR)
Angel Witch - Angel Witch (HR)
Diamond Head - Lightning To Nations (HR)
Witchfynde โ€“ Give โ€˜Em Hell (HR)
Vardis โ€“ 100 MPH (HR)
Tygers Of Pan Tang โ€“ Wild Cat (HR)
Discharge โ€“ Realities Of War EP (HR)
Discharge โ€“ Fight Back EP (HR)
Fist โ€“Turn The Hell On (R)
Quartz - Stand Up and Fight (R)
Witchfynde โ€“ Stagefright (R)

1981
Iron Maiden โ€“ Killers (E)
Venom - Welcome To Hell (E)
Discharge โ€“ Why (E)
Exploited โ€“ Punkโ€™s Not Dead (E)
Holocaust - The Nightcomers (HR)
Accept โ€“ Breaker (HR)
Subhumans โ€“ Demolition War (R)
Raven โ€“ Rock Until You Drop (R)
Tygers Of Pan Tang โ€“ Spellbound (R)

1982
Venom - Black Metal (E)
Discharge โ€“ Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing (E)
The Exploited โ€“ Troops Of Tomorrow (E)
Accept โ€“ Restless & Wild (E)
Pagan Alter โ€“ Volume 1 (HR)
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty (HR)
Anvil โ€“ Metal On Metal (R)

1983
Metallica โ€“ Kill โ€˜Em All (E)
Slayer โ€“ Show No Mercy (E)
Accept โ€“ Balls To The Wall (E)
Hellhammer โ€“ Satanic Rites (E)
Manilla Road โ€“ Crystal Logic (HR)
Anvil โ€“ Forged In Fire (HR)
Witchfinder General โ€“ Friends Of Hell (R)

Key
HOF - Hall of Fame
E โ€“ Essential
HR โ€“ Highly Recommended
R โ€“ Recommended

Great list! 1980 was really a pivotal year for loud music. Also, I hate to nitpick, but Killers is more of a hall of fame candidate than Maiden debut. Maybe that's just me though ๐Ÿ˜‰
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
dihansse wrote:
Repo wrote:


Re: Status Quo

I've heard of them, but don't think I've ever made the plunge. Any particular album, I should check out?


I think I read over this comment/question but I mean: are you kidding me? Is Status Quo so unknown in the States?
This band defined a lot of my youth maybe most because of their "hits" but they have fantastic albums as well.

So I would like to challenge you to listen to some tracks (and the albums they appear on are also their best so it's worth checking them out):
Hello with especially Roll Over Lay Down and Caroline
On The Level with Down Down
Blue For You with Mystery Song
Whatever You Want is not their greatest album but the title track has one of the best intros I know

Maybe it's something from my youth and they were indeed looked at as a band who only knew three chords and it might be a guilty pleasure but I still absolutely adore them.


Yeah. As Gowi already mentioned, not really. I'll check out a few of the albums that you and Gowi mention though and let you know my thoughts once I have some.
  • Quote
LedZep wrote:

Great list! 1980 was really a pivotal year for loud music.

Also, I hate to nitpick, but Killers is more of a hall of fame candidate than Maiden debut. Maybe that's just me though :wink:


No. That's not just you. lol. I like Killers slightly better than their debut too. In fact, Killers is likely to be freaking number ONE in my 1981 HOF inductees followed by Sabbath, Ozzy & ... Motley Crue! (Whose Too Fast For Love is ESSENTIAL sleaze metal.) But, that post is coming up in the near future.

My next post is all about Doom in 1985, but I'm STILL waiting for your rankings, Led Zep!!! ๐Ÿ˜œ
  • Quote
Repo wrote:

My next post is all about Doom in 1985, but I'm STILL waiting for your rankings, Led Zep!!! :P

Oh shit, I completely forgot about that. Gonna do it today/tomorrow, The Skull is the one I haven't heard yet (and Saint Vitus' Hallow's Victim is due a revisit too ๐Ÿ˜ ).
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s


Last edited by LedZep on 07/10/2020 07:31; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
@dihansse & @Gowi,

My first impression is that I like Status Quo when they deviate from typical 70s hard rock boogie bringing in elements of the Beatles, 60s psychedelia, and even folk. They've got some pretty fun, quirky & inventive songwriting which is really their strength. They're not a muscle band.

In particular, I really liked this...


Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon by Status Quo

And how can you not like that album cover!!! Classic!
  • Quote
1. The Skull
You know what, I thought it was a slightly less brilliant version of Psalm 9 after the first two songs, but by the end I wasn't even sure if it's any "worse" than the debut. The Wish may just be the best Trouble song I've heard, what an epic prog/doom tune. Also Wickedness Of Man intro is so slow and crushing that it must've been a huge influence on funeral doom. And then it explodes into cool as hell odd time riff, maybe my favourite part of the album. This one solidifies them as my second favourite doom band of the 80s. Unless we count Cirith Ungol as doom, but that's a bit of a stretch imo.

2. Land Of Mystery
80s doom with a unique, Italian twist. The synths add another mystic dimension to the record, and although vocals can be a bit weak at times, I still love this one. It was originally a recommendation from a friend, he also showed me other Italian bands such as Death SS and Bulldozer which also kick ass.

3. Relentless
A classic, Sabbath worshipping doom sound which is kind of derivative, but executed brilliantly. It's consistent and consistently cool. I do slightly prefer their 70s demos though.

4. Hallow's Victim
Another Saint Vitus album that must've been highly influential in the creation of stoner rock/metal. And a good album too, War Is Our Destiny is one hell of an opener and my fave.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 747576 ... 174175176  Next
Page 75 of 176


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] CLOSED Let's Rank 23: The Beach Boys ... RepoMan Music
Rank 'Em: Ozzy Osbourne CA Dreamin Music
Album of the day (#388): Pet Sounds b... BestEverAlbums Music
New Beach Boys Single alelsupreme Music
Looking for music influenced by The B... Guest Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.