Round 1: Tyler, The Creator v. Sarathy Korwar

Goto page Previous  12
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Please listen to both albums in full before voting, then choose your favorite.
Igor by Tyler, The Creator:
56%
 56%  [13]
More Arriving by Sarathy Korwar:
43%
 43%  [10]
Total Votes : 23

  • Quote
I'm voting for Korwar.
Although it didn't hit me at first, tracks of side B are just incredibly well fit for my taste.

It doesn't bothers me if Igor pulls through, it's a great album but I find More Arriving to be a lot more interesting.
  • Quote
I just discovered korwar and think it's great too, maybe after some time it'll change but i have to go with Igor here
  • Quote
guzguzgarbit wrote:
I'm voting for Korwar.
Although it didn't hit me at first, tracks of side B are just incredibly well fit for my taste.

It doesn't bothers me if Igor pulls through, it's a great album but I find More Arriving to be a lot more interesting.


Glad you liked it ๐Ÿ˜„

I'm shocked it's this close of a fight. I didn't think a somewhat obscure record from India had a chance against our #1 on the charts...
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:


I'm shocked it's this close of a fight. I didn't think a somewhat obscure record from India had a chance against our #1 on the charts...


i agree it seems hard here but at the same time, strangely, i feel like this is the only place that this could be ๐Ÿ˜„
  • Quote
Indian jazz hiphop: I liked it
  • Quote
Sarathy Korwar is excellent. Like people have already mentioned, it suffers in the MC/rapping departments, but the instrumentals are fantastic. It'll land near the end of my 2019 chart.

I've overplayed Igor a bit last year, but songs like Gone Gone/Thank You and Are We Still Friends? are still a masterclass in contemporary R&B, soul and hip hop production and aesthetics. Lyrics are honest and likeable throughout the entire album, even on the lesser songs like I Don't Love You Anymore and Running Out Of Time.

It's always cool to see an underdog upset, but Igor is a better album here imo so it gets my vote.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
guzguzgarbit wrote:
I'm voting for Korwar.
Although it didn't hit me at first, tracks of side B are just incredibly well fit for my taste.

It doesn't bothers me if Igor pulls through, it's a great album but I find More Arriving to be a lot more interesting.


Similar here. I like Igor but it's not exactly my thing I suppose. Really like the rhyhms and especially the saxophone on the Korwar album. The sax reminds me of Sons of Kemet/ The Comet is Coming, which is cool.
  • Quote
Voting solely on the production and overall song composition on Igor, I would be pleased, but something about Tyler's peformance just turns me off here. It doesn't feel like he's turning over a new mature leaf, he just sounds neutered. It's like he's plainly content with delivering the album that's expected of him in this point in time, rather than notably subverting expectations, and why it makes for a well-made release overall I feel no enthusaism or much returning interest for it at all. Sarathy Korwar was def hit or miss, but I found it generally more interesting and more passionate so it gets my vote here.
  • Quote
Igor defeats More Arriving 13-10 to advance to the sweet sixteen.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12
Page 2 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] (Closed) 2015-2019 Round 1: Tyler The... babyBlueSedan Tournaments
[ Poll ] BER Round 1: Kanye West vs. Tyler, Th... Guest Tournaments
[ Poll ] (Closed) 2015-2019 Round 4: Tyler, th... babyBlueSedan Tournaments
[ Poll ] (Closed) 2015-2019 Round 2: Tyler, th... babyBlueSedan Tournaments
[ Poll ] CLOSEDEarly 2010s Tourney: Bon Iver v... cestuneblague Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.