You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 254255256 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

The Inalienable Dreamless by Discordance Axis

This probably ranks just below Cattle Decapitation as most ear-shatteringly aggressive things I've listened to. The album is 28 minutes of non-stop screaming, grinding riffs, and drum sadism. I love albums that have covers that are exactly the opposite of the contents, the title and band name even sounding like it could be some kind of ambient kind of project. This one might be the most ironic of all. One unique thing about this album was the mixing of the high-pitched screeching kind of metal vocals with the lower-pitched growling sort. When they were juxtaposed, it created a different kind of sound than I'd heard before.

This sounds interesting, good review chief!
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote

Come To My Garden by Minnie Riperton

This was pretty cool. On paper this sounds like an album I wouldn't choose to listen to without a reason, (romantic smooth soul with dramatic, orchestral music), but I really enjoyed this. Great vocals, and it felt sincere and full of heart. The second half wasn't as strong as the first half but there still a couple of really good songs in there. 8/10, 17/31 for 1970, and 89/100 for the '70s.



With an album cover and title like that I've gotta go with The Lick On The Tip Of An Envelope Yet To Be Sent here.


The Lick On The Tip Of An Envelope Yet To Be Sent by Circulus



Continuing my exploration of 1970 using Jameth's 1970 chart now. Thanks!

Top 100 Music Albums of 1970 by Jameth (5 picks left)

1. Lorca by Tim Buckley
5. Hark! The Village Wait by Steeleye Span
6. Chicago by Chicago
8. Funkadelic by Funkadelic
9. Workingman's Dead by Grateful Dead
10. Parallelograms by Linda Perhacs
11. Band Of Gypsys by Jimi Hendrix
12. Exuma by Exuma
13. The Electric Lucifer by Bruce Haack
15. Third Ear Band (Elements) by Third Ear Band
  • Quote

The Lick On The Tip Of An Envelope Yet To Be Sent by Circulus

Although I'll admit it does actually rock at times, the renaissance fair aesthetic is not exactly something for me. ๐Ÿ˜ Very much a band trying to capture a specific segment of the population. I'm sure this has been the soundtrack to many a DnD session since it's release in 2005.

EDIT: This did get better as it went on; I was a little too quick to judge based on the cheesiness of the first few tracks.

Oh hell yeah, Electric Lucifer!

Skepticism- Stormcrowfleet
Misty In Roots - Musi O Tunya
Hala Strana- Fielding
Precipitation - Meditations on the Self and the Other
Perigeo - Non รˆ Poi Cosรฌ Lontano
Heathered Pearls - Loyal
Bogdan Raczynski - boku mo wakaran
Il Baricentro - Sconcerto
White Woods : Spaceship Earth
Colomach - Colomach
  • Quote
(1)

Mental Funeral by Autopsy
Well, this goes hard. It's a pretty standard old school death doom, but the songwriting is off the charts. Instead of being intro/verse/chorus, the songs here have multiple sections, most of them don't even have a chorus at all. That's something which I associate with more proggy and technical death metal, but I don't think Mental Autopsy fits in either of those groups. It's just imaginative, well written, cool as hell old school metal. 8.5 or 9/10

(2)
I love Colomach

(3)
Chart

Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress
Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Swallow The Sun - New Moon
Theo Parrish - Sound Signature Sounds Vol 2
Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
High On Fire - Death Is This Communion
Culprate - Deliverance
Wolves In The Throne Room - Black Cascade
Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote

Colomach by Colomach

Quick, efficient, and funky album from Nigeria. What else could you ask for.

Saying as though I just mentioned the "trick" album cover thing, then 20 Jazz Funk Greats is certainly the most appropriate choice.

Skepticism- Stormcrowfleet
Misty In Roots - Musi O Tunya
Hala Strana- Fielding
Precipitation - Meditations on the Self and the Other
Perigeo - Non รˆ Poi Cosรฌ Lontano
Heathered Pearls - Loyal
Bogdan Raczynski - boku mo wakaran
Il Baricentro - Sconcerto
White Woods : Spaceship Earth
Dilute - Grape Blueprints Pour Spinach Olive Grape

Amendment:

The original album does not have the song 'Discipline' on it, but I like it so much on the reissue that it's become essential for me.


Link
  • Quote
1.


Mclusky Do Dallas by Mclusky

I have to admit, I didn't listen to this particularly closely. It soundtracked a war in Civilization V. It mostly sounded pleasingly noisy, with some definite sloppiness at times. I knew it was Albini-produced before I looked it up. As you might expect from an album with a porn-referencing title, these guys come off as pretty sleazy. And while most of that is run-of-the-mill douchiness, there's also a disturbing song with lyrics that are likely about child pornography. Musically, nothing that they're offering is fresh or heavy enough to outweigh that for me. 2.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Take it from the top, Chief.

~~~~~

3. Purplepash's AOTYs

1952: Penthouse Serenade - Nat King Cole
1953: Black Coffee - Peggy Lee
1960: Have Guitar, Will Travel - Bo Diddley
1974: Rock N Roll Animal - Lou Reed
1981: Prayers On Fire - The Birthday Party
1986: Infected - The The
1997: Slightly Odway - Jebediah
1998: Without You I'm Nothing - Placebo
2005: Wolfmother - Wolfmother
2006: Just Like The Fambly Cat - Grandaddy
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
Quote:
As you might expect from an album with a porn-referencing title, these guys come off as pretty sleazy.


You ever think that might be the point?

Quote:
there's also a disturbing song with lyrics that are likely about child pornography.


Eh, what track? I've listened to this album dozens of times, and I'm unsure of which one you thought that about.
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Quote:
As you might expect from an album with a porn-referencing title, these guys come off as pretty sleazy.


You ever think that might be the point?

Quote:
there's also a disturbing song with lyrics that are likely about child pornography.


Eh, what track? I've listened to this album dozens of times, and I'm unsure of which one you thought that about.


Yeah, of course that's the point. I'm just not a fan aesthetically of their particular brand of sleaziness.

There seems to be a consensus at songmeanings.com that that's the meaning of Alan Is A Cowboy Killer, so I went off that. It's possible they're missing the mark, but it wouldn't change my assessment of the album. I'm not a fan of the lyrics for that song either way, and when I said "outweigh that," I was referring to the album's lyrics as a whole.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
I'd say that they are missing the mark, but that's why things are subjective. They're all a bit cryptic and up to interpretation.

I figured that the lyrics were going to be a highlight for you. ๐Ÿ˜„
  • Quote
(1)

20 Jazz Funk Greats by Throbbing Gristle
I've certainly heard this one before. But, like other 2 Throbbing Gristle albums (Second and archival First Report), it leaves me pretty cold. Admirable, extremely influential, sometimes interesting early industrial/experimental which ultimately doesn't lead anywhere. Like on the Second Annual Report, I enjoyed the low-key, almost ambient parts much more. Their live shows were a blast though. I'm just gonna give it my default rating and hope that it'll grow on me in the future, but I'm slowly starting to lose hope. The cover and the album title are hilarious 7.5/10

(2)
Placebo is cool, although none of their albums are exactly filler free.

(3)
SquishypuffDave's Top 100 Greatest Albums / Xxnu99etxX Top 100 Greatest Albums

24. Gum Takes Tooth - Mirrors Fold
13) White Suns - Totem
18 ) Dean Roberts - Be Mine Tonight
24) Love, Claire - Love, Claire
27) Unwound - Rat Conspiracy
29) Smog - The Doctor Came At Dawn
31) Shoji Aketagawa, Kan Mikami & Toshiaki Ishizuka - Daikanjyo
38 ) Gospel - The Moon Is A Dead World
40) Sigur Rรณs - Kveikur
32) Glenn Branca - The Third Ascension
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 254255256 ... 444445446  Next
Page 255 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.