Who's Next by The Who
An album which both contains Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes and Won't Get Fooled Album just has to be the best Who album. And it climbs from the 20th to the 7th rank of 1971.
Then an album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Indelibly Stamped by Supertramp
It's always interesting to listen to an earlier album from a band of which you like their legacy albums. So I was very interest to listen to the second album of Supertramp which I didn't know at all. And I must say almost all the classic ingredients are there: the distinctive voice, the special place of the piano in a lot of the tracks and in an embryonic form the epic scale of the tracks, especially with sometimes hits and misses. A miss is in my opinion the long Aries but there are enough hits to make this a fairly good though not great album and in any case a worthy prelude of what was yet to come. So the album lands at the 2st rank of the year.
Last edited by dihansse on 10/18/2020 18:44; edited 1 time in total
The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars by David Bowie
Again a real classic which I might have underrated a bit because it rises from the 5th to the 2nd rank of the year. My favorite track remains Moonage Daydream but there are so many others. David Bowie reaches his absolute height here.
Then an album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Homecoming by America
I'm a sucker for harmonies and America knows how to do them well. On the first album I really only liked A Horse With No Name and I Need You but this album is nearly without any flaws, whether it is on slows or harder edged tracks. Of course the best harmonies are to be found on Ventura Highway, a gem of a song, but I nearly like every track here (maybe except for Head And Heart. It immediately earns its 8th rank of the year.
Homecoming by America
I'm a sucker for harmonies and America knows how to do them well. On the first album I really only liked A Horse With No Name and I Need You but this album is nearly without any flaws, whether it is on slows or harder edged tracks. Of course the best harmonies are to be found on Ventura Highway, a gem of a song, but I nearly like every track here (maybe except for Head And Heart. It immediately earns its 8th rank of the year.
Nice! I'm going to have to check this out later today. ๐
Band On The Run by Paul McCartney & Wings
This is still an album I have a love/hate relationship with: the title track, Jet and Mrs Vanderbilt are amongst the best of his post-Beatles legacy but then it stops and many of the other songs even tend to MOR. Of course still an album for my top chart and it rises from the 33rd to the 17th rank but it's still the album I'd love to love more than I do now.
And the an album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Suzi Quatro by Suzi Quatro
I recently saw a documentary about her which I liked and it has to be said: she had some fine hits and one of them is on this album: 48 crash. But next to this very nice rocker it's finished: besides some not very original covers and some bland own songs, there's nothing interesting to be found here.
On The Border by Eagles
Not one of their best known and simply not their best but this is still an enjoyable Eagles album (especially Already Gone is one of the better Eagles tracks) which goes from the 22nd to the 18th rank.
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Exotic Birds And Fruit by Procol Harum
This album stands in the shadows of its predecessor Grand Hotel but definitely deserves its place in the Procol Harum legacy. Especially the first four tracks are top quality and the latter half is maybe not really top but as a whole I like it very much and it enters at the 14th rank in my 1974 personal chart.
Sabotage by Black Sabbath
I had forgotten what a really good album this is, not as good as their first few albums but nearly. The album rocks very hard and has a very sinister atmosphere which serves the Black Sabbath sound very well. Especially Symptom Of The Universe and the long Megalomania are top BS. And with this the album rises from the 24th to the 8th rank of the year.
An album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Paolo Conte by Paolo Conte
Paolo Conte gave the world Max, one of the best and most moving songs ever written. This is his second album and while his talent is already there (mind you here he was 38 years old) he would do much better on his later albums. There's not really a track here which really appeals so not one for my top chart.
A Day At The Races by Queen
My favorite Queen album because to me it's the most consistent (A Night At The Opera has in my opinion more filler) and of course also because it has my favorite Queen track. It's theatrical as hell but I adore this song. And next to this there's of course also Tie Your Mother Down. Some of the tracks are coming close to vaudeville theatre (The Millionaire Waltz, Good Old Fashion Lover Boy) but they also stay on the right side of the schmalz, something that would become their downside on their later records. The album climbs from the 9th to the 7th rank the year.
An album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Teenage Depression by Eddie & The Hot Rods
The missing link between pub rock and punk rock, but to me they still lean towards the first. There's some great covers here (The Kids Are Alright is top) but the best one remains the last track, On The Run, which on live albums is even longer and better than on this regular album. Not everything is great but nevertheless good for a 12th rank of the year.
Sabotage by Black Sabbath
I had forgotten what a really good album this is, not as good as their first few albums but nearly. The album rocks very hard and has a very sinister atmosphere which serves the Black Sabbath sound very well. Especially Symptom Of The Universe and the long Megalomania are top BS. And with this the album rises from the 24th to the 8th rank of the year.
1977 is definitely (one of) the best year(s) in music
An album I already own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Out Of The Blue by Electric Light Orchestra
1977 was the year of many classic metal albums (Let There Be Rock and Cat Scratch Fever were my favorites then), it was of course also the year Punk came crashing in with full force (too many albums to name) and you even had some albums you could call postpunk (Marquee Moon, Blank Generation and even '77). But what is sometimes forgotten is that 1977 also spawned a number of the greatest classic rock albums ever. There was Animals, there was Aja, there was Rumors, there even was Bat Out Of Hell (don't shoot me, am I not allowed to have a guilty pleasure?). And there was this album which I loved to death at the time and of course of that very expansive Mr. Blue Sky. It's a double album so there are surely some stinkers here but boy what a gem of an upbeat album. And shoots up from the 8th to the 5th rank of the year.
An album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
TV Tube Heart by The Radiators From Space
There's plenty of "classic" punk albums still on my wishlist and for 1977 I should include a punk record. But then I saw a certain repo guy who put an album and a band on the 4th rank of his overall chart I honestly had never heard of so I absolutely wanted to listen to this one and I shall begin with a positive note: I enjoyed listening to it and it enters at the 30th rank of the year. But on the other hand it doesn't nearly sound as original or energizing as I thought it would be (in fact a bit like Eddie & The Hot Rods: more pub than punk). So a fairly good album but in my opinion of all those other great punk bands (as you know the Saints is my favorite of the year but there's so many others).
1977 is definitely (one of) the best year(s) in music
An album on my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
TV Tube Heart by The Radiators From Space
There's plenty of "classic" punk albums still on my wishlist and for 1977 I should include a punk record. But then I saw a certain repo guy who put an album and a band on the 4th rank of his overall chart I honestly had never heard of so I absolutely wanted to listen to this one and I shall begin with a positive note: I enjoyed listening to it and it enters at the 30th rank of the year. But on the other hand it doesn't nearly sound as original or energizing as I thought it would be (in fact a bit like Eddie & The Hot Rods: more pub than punk). So a fairly good album but in my opinion of all those other great punk bands (as you know the Saints is my favorite of the year but there's so many others).
Glad u liked it!!! It's a grower. Wouldn't call it a lost classic, but it's definitely a super solid Class of '77 rocker that should be WAY more well known.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum