This is a party album with electro production, and it has some nice grooves and competent rapping, plus a couple mediocre r&b tracks thrown in. The standout track is the first one, which is a hip-hop take on Monster Mash. After that, the album is pleasant enough, but definitely repetitive at times. The two Magic's Wand tracks are too similar, and the vocoder version of the lead track that closes the album is unnecessary. I wasn't very impressed by Whodini, but it was fairly fun in spite of its clear flaws. 3/5.
~~~~~
2. Listen to the only one of those I've heard. It's pretty good:
1980 bronze: Rappin’, Dancin’, And Laughin’ - Blowfly
1981 gold: Live Convention 81 - Various Artists
1982 silver: Live Convention 82 - Various Artists
1983 bronze: Players - Too $hort
1984 silver: Escape - Whodini
1985 silver: The Album - Mantronix
1987 silver: Criminal Minded - Boogie Down Productions
1989 bronze: No One Can Do It Better - The D.O.C.
1990 bronze: The Geto Boys - The Geto Boys
2002 gold: Nada Como Um Dia Após O Outro Dia - Racionais MC's _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
And just like that, we get a nice segway from transitioning from the last album to this where I recommended to Pash Zapp's debut and then Bay giving me Doggystyle, which is quite drenched in P-Funk influence. But as well as Zapp, because a lot of artists from the west coast were inspired as well as admired Roger Troutman. We could go to California Love or how Kool Keith got the last laugh where the "beef" from other rapper would rely on him and then have him on Master of the Game before his unfortunate death in 1999. If you want more info, watch the Unsung video for Zapp.
But back to Doggystyle. This was wonderful. If there is something that I really love from this album is how there is a bit of a tongue and cheek quality to it where it would reference funk tracks of the 70's and 80's and would flip it on its head where it ends up being hilarious and quite endearing. The intro of Tha Shiznit is a prime example. But I would also say most of the songs have a lot of addicting qualities where they set a mood and are quite intricate. On the same song Tha Shiznit, there is a part of the track where I could see that as a link to cutting edge of Rockets on The Battlefield from Kool Keith or in an electronic sense, that odd sound on Dael from Tri Repetae. If there was a complaint for this album, it would some of the G Funk squeals can be a bit annoying. And I do wish the ending was a bit better. But this was really enjoyable and as of now this is 2nd place for best hip hop album for 1993. Tribe has the gold. Unless some other hip hop album comes in the clutch. But we will see what happens.
Grade:95
(2) Actually that one moment how this album would add a raunchy attitude did come from Blowfly Bay.
(3)
BEA: Top 100 of 1993
(13) Blur-Modern Life Is Rubbish
(15) The Breeders-Last Splash
(17) Depeche Mode-Songs of Faith and Devotion
(23) U2-Zooropa (R)
(29) The Cranberries-Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?
(31) The Flaming Lips-Transmissions From The Satellite Heart
(32) Aerosmith-Get A Grip
(33) Crowded House-Together Alone
(34) Paul Weller-Wild Wood
(35) James-Laid
(2) Actually that one moment how this album would add a raunchy attitude did come from Blowfly Bay.
I was hoping no one would pick this. I will listen to it, but I may be M.I.A. from this game from a while as I put off doing so. _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
Well shit. Do you want me to give you the 2002 album?
No, it's okay. Listening to an historically important album that I probably won't like is in the spirit of the game. _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
Totally new to me. I've never heard of them before. A debut album from four brothers, with George Clinton and Bootsy Collins behind the scenes. I find it hard to dislike funk. It's usually just so inherently good mood, positive vibes, toe tapping type of stuff. This was a fun listen, particularly the opening track with it's use of a voicebox, and some interesting synth effects. Apparently it's been sampled many, many, many times over the years. The rest of the album never reached these heights again, and on an individual level at times the songs may have been just a tad too repetitive for their lengths, but still a decent synth funk album overall.
Luigii wrote:
....A part of me thinks you might give it a decent 6 or may give it a light 8.....
Somewhere in the middle of the two Luigii....I give it a light 7, and 40/44 in my 1980 chart.
Last Splash is an easy listen and I've always had a soft spot for it.
Top 15 Music Albums of 1980 by Jameth (4 picks left)
1. Les Dragons by Ninki-Nanka
5. The Expanding Universe by Laurie Spiegel
6. Sandinista! by The Clash
8. Solid Pleasure by Yello
10. Telekon by Gary Numan
12. Haul Ar Yr Eira by Pererin
13. Crazy Rhythms by The Feelies
14. Não Me Lembre Demais, Nem Me Esqueça by Junia Horta
15. Catching The Sun by Spyro Gyra
26. Ambient 3: Day Of Radiance by Laraaji (from Baystate's best of the '80s)
Boxer by The National
The National like Croatia. Mainly because of a guy named Mate Škugor, he's a great promoter who's been booking them since 2004, when they played at a 200 capacity club. They had 9 concerts in Croatia since then, each one at a bigger venue than the last, and I've been to a grand total of 0 of those concerts. That should tell you how I feel about the band. That was mostly a joke. They're a fine indie band who aren't standing out from the crowd all that much. But they can write a song and put together an album which fits a certain mood. The problem is I'm not often in The National mood, and when I am I just find myself listening to other similar bands. And yet every time I force myself to put a National album on, I love it. A weird band for me, I don't gravitate towards their music and it's like I always forget how much I enjoy their work. Boxer is no different, and it may in fact be their best crafted one. From the immaculate opener Fake Empire to the fantastic closer Gospel (which are also my 2 favourite songs), it's one of the standouts of the 2007 indie scene and I'm glad I got the chance to listen to it again. Like Bay said, this game is really good at forcing you to listen to things you might not want to, which turned out fine this time. 7.5 or 8/10
(2)
Sandinista is the only one I've heard, so go with Clash.
Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends
--------------------------------------
Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
Boubacar Traoré - Mariama
Oidupaa Vladimir Oiun - Divine Music From A Jail
Rokia Traoré - Bowmboï
Sun City Girls - Torch Of The Mystics
Jimmy Lee Williams - Hoot Your Belly
Soungalo Coulibaly - Dengo
Various Artists - The Roots Of Chicha: Psychedelic Cumbias From Peru
--------------------------------------
The Magnetic Fields - The Wayward Bus _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
Baystate, because I know Blowfly is probably not going to sit well with you, I figured I'd let you know that this exists to clean your pallette afterward. Clarence Reid aka Blowfly's highly underrated funk/soul album sans profanity.
The aesthetic this band was going for was always so damn confusing. Russian? Japanese? Future? Synth-Pop? Rock n Roll? It's like something that bands try to do today. Trick you into thinking they have this wide range of influences when it's really just pop music.
I was familiar with the first track "Love Missile F1-11" which was a minor hit in the 80s. It's kind of a cool song. The main reason I wanted to listen to the rest is because it's produced by Giorgio Moroder, but the rest of the album after the first few songs pretty much just repeat the same things over and over. Good to get out of the way.
Les Savy Fav create some nice catchy hooks on that album. Sometimes that's all you need.
Il Baricentro - Sconcerto
Musette - Datum
Violent Onsen Geisha - Excrete Music
Silvio Rodriguez-Al final de este viaje
These Trails- These Trails
Anubi- Kai Pilnaties Akis Uzmerks Mirtis
Emmanuelle Parrenin – Maison Ros
Mo*Te ~ Life in a Peaceful New World
Sasha & Digweed-Northern Exposure
Spirit Agent - Depth Perception
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum