Album of the day (#351): (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

Goto page Previous  123
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
hairymarx1 wrote:
I remember Oasis played the Benicassim festival in Spain about 5 or 6 years ago. They were headlining ahead of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Cave played in front of a mainly hostile crowd of Oasis fans. I was amongst them. Oasis followed Cave who I was their to see, and they were probably the most boring band I've ever seen. They are dull as dishwater. This album doesn't even register on my radar.


Well no shit Oasis would be boring compared to Nick Cave.
_________________
sig
  • Quote
Oasis were brilliant when i saw them in 2009! ๐Ÿงฑ
  • Quote
OK, here goes... I enjoy this album. ๐Ÿคก There are a lot of catchy sing along tunes with great melodies. That's one thing I will give Noel Gallagher credit for. He can write a damn catchy tune, the kind that will stick in your head. I do think it's ridiculously overrated though and I'll explain why in a moment. I also like a good portion of Definitely Maybe, even though I recognize that both are very derivative and even plagiaristic at times. In this sense, it's frustrating to say I like something of theirs because I do find and did find Oasis as personalities unbearably annoying for their bravado and overall obnoxiousness. I find Noel entertaining in interviews now, but for some reason, his brother Liam remains one of the biggest douches in rock.

Here's the thing about Oasis though: Although they (Noel, really) had the ability to craft catchy pop songs, there's no real substance to them. Listening to them is sort of like eating junk food or watching an action movie with a cliche storyline and trite dialogue. They're fun, but their songs aren't going to enrich your lives like say a Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, or Radiohead song might. But their first two albums are really fun and I also like their best of, Stop the Clocks. Put those on in the summer time and crank up the volume and just enjoy. But time will show, and already does, that this band was far from being one of the most important bands in rock history. They were shallow imitators basically, albeit good ones.

Also, just on a personal note: I actually saw these guys for free in a nightclub in Seattle in '94, I think. If that seems unbelievable, Definitely Maybe had just come out and although they were getting hyped in Britain, they hadn't broken in America yet, so maybe it was a management decision to have them do some free shows. My best friend / roommate at the time and I were Anglophiles, so of course, we weren't going to miss this opportunity. That's still probably one of the loudest concerts I have ever experienced. I mean they were playing at arena rock level volume in a medium-sized club! ๐Ÿ˜จ My ears were ringing the next day!

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123
Page 3 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: Release Day Eve Repo Music
World album of the day (#351): Allego... albummaster Music
Album of the day #448: I'm Wide Awake... BestEverAlbums Music
[ Poll ] I love the smell of tournaments in th... videoheadcleaner Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.