You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 381382383 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
EyeKanFly wrote:
To preface, the 90s is probably my least favorite decade of music, and it appear's to be PP's favorite era. I'm trying to get to appreciate this time period a little more.


That's a pretty rare opinion (assuming you're not counting pre-50s, but if you are, even rarer). Why is it your least favorite? Are you not a fan of big 90s genres like hip-hop and grunge?
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
That's a pretty rare opinion (assuming you're not counting pre-50s, but if you are, even rarer). Why is it your least favorite? Are you not a fan of big 90s genres like hip-hop and grunge?

Yeah I should have clarified that I meant more like 60s-present, the 90s are my least favorite decade. I've certainly listened to more 90s albums than 50s though I think of the 50s albums I've heard, I prefer the silver age of jazz over the grunge era.

I've never been huge on grunge, I think the garage rock and hard rock that evolved from grunge in the 00s works better for me. Hip hop in the 90s was the peak of including skits in albums. So comparing albums, I think the 90s (and early 00s) is among the weakest eras of hip hop since the origins of the genre. But comparing songs to songs, the 90s are actually pretty close to a peak.

I do also want to clarify that I don't dislike the 90s, just don't like it as much as any other decade (post 50s). That's why I'm trying to find albums from the decade that I love, because there's currently comparatively less of them than albums I love from the 80s or 00s. The NPR list has actually been great at diversifying my 90s repertoire, including introducing or reintroducing quite a few artists.
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
EyeKanFly wrote:
Hip hop in the 90s was the peak of including skits in albums. So comparing albums, I think the 90s (and early 00s) is among the weakest eras of hip hop since the origins of the genre. But comparing songs to songs, the 90s are actually pretty close to a peak.


Wow, you hate skits that much? To me they're usually filler, and only sometimes bad enough to significantly drag the album down. The 90s are more or less the undisputed peak decade of the genre among hip-hop heads. Saying they're among the weakest eras is a take I have literally never heard before.

Also interesting that your favorite 90s hip-hop album is one I haven't listened to (2001 by Dr. Dre). So I would need to check that out before making any suggestions.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
Wow, you hate skits that much? To me they're usually filler, and only sometimes bad enough to significantly drag the album down. The 90s are more or less the undisputed peak decade of the genre among hip-hop heads. Saying they're among the weakest eras is a take I have literally never heard before.

Also interesting that your favorite 90s hip-hop album is one I haven't listened to (2001 by Dr. Dre). So I would need to check that out before making any suggestions.

Oh yeah that's definitely gonna change, Tribe is gonna shoot up if I re-evaluate the 90s chart. I can also say that I didn't truly start listening to hip hop until post-2008 or so, and I definitely wouldn't consider myself a hip-hop head. Trying to learn to be though!

But yeah I do despise skits lol. I just feel like they disrupt the flow sooo much. There are times when it works though, but I'm having a harder time thinking of an example of the latter than the former.
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
1.


Sprained Ankle by Julien Baker

I love Turn Out The Lights and Boygenius, so listening to Julien Baker's debut is long overdue. It is in fact very similar to her sophomore album. Both are classified by RYM users as slowcore with indie folk influences, and both are full of raw, emotional songs exploring bleak, depressive subject matter, with secondary themes of faith that lend a bit of hope to the proceedings. Baker's deeply personal songwriting is the clear highlight, and her spare instrumentals and beautiful vocals complement the evocative lyrics perfectly. Most of the songs on Sprained Ankle are harrowing and expertly crafted, making it a great record overall. 4/5.

~~~~~

2. This one is on my to-do list:


Come On Feel The Lemonheads by The Lemonheads

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 14 (last pick)

D2: LC - The Durutti Column
E: Yellow Fields - Eberhard Weber
F: The Reminder - Feist
F2: 56 Nights - Future & DJ Esco
G: White Light - Gene Clark
H: Little Queen - Heart
I: Birds Of My Neighborhood - The Innocence Mission
J: All Mod Cons - The Jam
J2: Ekstasis - Julia Holter
K: Failer - Kathleen Edwards
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic by The Ocean

I thought I would probably get at least one album from LedZep's chart that I hadn't heard of before that would be great, and this is it. When it comes to metal subgenres progressive metal and atmospheric sludge metal are two I often do get into and this album from German band The Ocean combines these two genres nicely. Musically interesting all the time and the combination of clean vocals and growling really works (and the growls are mostly still decipherable). Plus the environmental/geological history is a bonus in my books. Tracks 2 and 3 were my favourites. I will be adding them to some playlists. 8.5/10, and enters my top 100 for the year at #15.




I probably haven't heard All Mod Cons since the late '80s but it has some great songs on it.


All Mod Cons by The Jam




Top 100 Music Albums of 2020 by LedZep (2 picks left)

2. Stygian by Atramentus
5. Subaqueous by Drown
7. New Light by Gidge
8. Endless Detainment by Serpent Column
12. Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase by The Soft Pink Truth
16. Little Dominiques Nosebleed by The Koreatown Oddity
24. Xerrox Vol. 4 by Alva Noto
26. Siftorde by Tidiane Thiam
27. Cosmic Disco by Nemanja
29. Bloem by Fluisteraars
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:


~~~~~

2. This one is on my to-do list:


Come On Feel The Lemonheads by The Lemonheads


One of their weakest albums tbh but still a fine collections of songs. But, that's part of it's problem. it's just a collection of songs. Probably their 4th or 5th best tbh.

It's A Shame Is their masterpiece
Lovey prob 2nd
then Car Button Cloth
then Lick from 1988 (which is is INSANELY good Emo punk rock record)

STILL GOOD! LEMONHEADS RULES!!! ๐Ÿ˜

edit: I guess the BIG takeaway from this is.... Car Button Cloth is WAY better than this!!!


Car Button Cloth by The Lemonheads
  • Quote
Repo wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:


~~~~~

2. This one is on my to-do list:


Come On Feel The Lemonheads by The Lemonheads


One of their weakest albums tbh but still a fine collections of songs. But, that's part of it's problem. it's just a collection of songs. Probably their 4th or 5th best tbh.

It's A Shame Is their masterpiece
Lovey prob 2nd
then Car Button Cloth
then Lick from 1988 (which is is INSANELY good Emo punk rock record)

STILL GOOD! LEMONHEADS RULES!!! ๐Ÿ˜
.... [/url]


You are not wrong. I would never argue against anyone who says Shame About Ray is better (both are in my all time chart) but personally this album has more of my favourite songs of theirs that I used to love singing along to with my wife, and we would choose this album to listen to just that little bit more often than Ray so maybe a case of quantity over quality for me. Plus I saw them live a few times and the songs from Come On... always brought bigger smiles to my face. Especially one memorable performance of Style - so much fun to chant along and dance to live - just one of those moments that I have never forgotten so many years later. Nostalgia and happy memories definitely often play a large part in my favourites.
Anyway always good to hear your opinion Repo...and yes LEMONHEADS RULES!!! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Quote
1)

Come On Feel The Lemonheads by The Lemonheads

Based on the above conversation, I also listened to:

It's A Shame About Ray by The Lemonheads

So to start... pretty much the only thing I knew about the Lemonheads prior to now was their cover of "Mrs. Robinson". I find that cover to be godawful. My local radio station used to play it pretty regularly for years and I just found it so empty and devoid of any of the heart that the original had. It was just a crummy soulless power pop interpretation of the original. When I started listening to Come on Feel the Lemonheads, I had to do a double take because I couldn't quite recall if it was the same band as the Lemonheads I recalled. At first I noticed that same soulless empty feeling in the lead singer's voice, but I quickly found that this was very much their style and it fit much better with their own music.

I will also admit though that this wasn't for me. I enjoyed quite a few songs including "Big Gay Heart", "Style", and "Rick James Style" (lol), but I think that their power punk sound as a whole just gets stagnant fairly quickly. I felt a little differently about It's a Shame About Ray though. That one was a little more fun of an album, songs like "Alison's Starting to Happen" and "Bit Part" were more up my alley, and the version I listened to had "Mrs. Robinson" which did sound a little better in context, even though it was not featured on the original release of the album.

Overall, I certainly could've seen myself liking the band more if I had listened to them at their prime. And while I didn't love them, I did find both albums pretty solid and could see them going into my 90s chart.

2)
ok so that's almost entirely metal and glitch/ambient, most of which I either haven't listened to or didn't particularly enjoy. So let's go with the outlier. I have not listened to this, but I'd like to give it a shot as well since I've been digging the desert blues genre recently. And if you liked Optimisme, then I'm optimistic that you'll like this one as well.

Siftorde by Tidiane Thiam

3)
5 albums from each at least until one or the other runs out of steam.

NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women:
97. Daydream by Mariah Carey
103. ุงู†ุช ุนู…ุฑูŠ [Enta Omri] by ุฃู… ูƒู„ุซูˆู…โ€Ž [Umm Kulthum]
110. Platinum by Miranda Lambert
114. Rumor Has It by Reba McEntire
117. I Love Rock 'n' Roll by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

Purplepash's top albums of the 1990s:
3. Slightly Odway by Jebediah
8. Where You Been by Dinosaur Jr.
17. 30 Something by Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine
24. Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs by Ministry
26. Guide to Better Living by Grinspoon
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote

Siftorde by Tidiane Thiam

Sitting around a campfire listening to someone playing finger picked acoustic guitar instrumentals, just the one person, their guitar, and the crickets/cicadas. So peaceful you just drift away as the songs bleed into one pleasant dreamy piece of music. 7/10




My '90s chart is very alt rock/indie rock heavy so I'm not sure you'll find anything to love in there EyeKanFLy, but I'm always happy for people to hear my favourites even if when they don't like them. So I am going to give you a pick no one else would probably give you, and you wouldn't be likely to hear otherwise. Jebediah's debut album Slightly Odway. Just a bit of background first: I likely have over-rated this album because it's a local band that I first saw live at a gig with about only 30 people in attendance, before they had even released a debut single. I followed their progress as they took off and had a lot of success and critical respect nationally, and have seen them live many times since. Always fun and energetic, and they are still around and playing today.


Slightly Odway by Jebediah




Top 100 Music Albums of 2020 by LedZep (last pick)

2. Stygian by Atramentus
5. Subaqueous by Drown
7. New Light by Gidge
8. Endless Detainment by Serpent Column
12. Shall We Go On Sinning So That Grace May Increase by The Soft Pink Truth
16. Little Dominiques Nosebleed by The Koreatown Oddity
24. Xerrox Vol. 4 by Alva Noto
27. Cosmic Disco by Nemanja
29. Bloem by Fluisteraars
31. Manger On McNichols by Boldy James & Sterling Toles

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 381382383 ... 444445446  Next
Page 382 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.