This is far and away my favorite drop of the week. I was a big fan of Remi Wolf's EP last year "I'm Allergic to Dogs!" with its wildly fun pop arrangements and clever lyrics. This is her label debut and it is excellent. She's taken her work to the next level with even crazier arrangements, using sounds and samples that are crazy fresh and original to the ears. And her lyrics are some serious post-modern Gen Z madness. It all works so well and it's such a bop. Consider her part of the "post" wave that's been shaping this year with post-punk in the UK and post-rap in Arizona. Now we've got post-pop in LA.
Im looking forward to a release from the Radiohead spin off, The Smile. I saw the Glastonbury thing. It was really good and surprisingly heavy in places. Im now more intrigued by this than I probably would be for a new Radiohead album. Ive not heard a release date for the album though so maybe there is still a while to wait.
Def a rec for fans of mid00s DragCity-core. Bedroom-y singer/songwriter with a slow blues-ish voice. Lovely orchestration, but I felt everything needed to be mixed up just a smidge. Took a sec to settle in, but good stuff.
Yeule dropped a covers album. Think everyone missed it. Some great cuts in the mix. Covers The Breeders, Grouper, Grimes, Lenker, Frank Ocean, Big Thief, Velvet Underground, it's a decent line-up. Opening track is These Days.
"The latest by iconic slowburn Australian duo HTRK is an elegant nine song suite of windswept emotion and heartbreak noir, crafted in skeletal arrangements of guitar, voice, metronomes, and FX. Inspired by a recent infatuation with “eerie and gothic country music,” Rhinestones moves from whispered lament to acoustic eulogy to downtempo vignettes, tracing muted embers of loss and lust through haunted city streets."
Sissoko dropped a sister album to his release earlier this year. Completely missed it. Beautiful stuff. Just as good as Djourou. Very glad it's two records though, would have been too lengthy as a double LP.
Louca impressed me with his previous record, but this is even a step above that. Excellent modern Arabic jazz. Very dark, textural, a little grim, hoarse. Almost feels you can touch it. One of my unexpected favourites of the year.
well tonight, as a critical roll d&d fan, is mostly going to be dominated by the first episode of their 3rd campaign. BUT this also is a big night for releases I have been looking forward to or been very intrigued by. So yeah, it's gonna be a late night/morning.
albums-wise that I think may be on a lot of your radars along with ones I also am looking forward to are:
new peggy album?!!! Not in database yet (understandably) but its coming tonight in a few hours and its called simply "LP!" by JPEGMAFIA
new Parquet Courts LP tonight!
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Sympathy For Life by Parquet Courts
(full disclosure this isn't one I have been particularly hyped for because I've yet to be stung/won over by them. So this may be the number 1 album tonight for many people. I'll check it out.)
The album I personally am most excited for is a new folk beauty from Bedouine dropping tonight! it's called "Waysides"...nice!
New Trace Mountains album looks like it may be cool
New My Morning Jacket could be solid. I haven't personally been following them since at least 2005, still they were/are(?) a big deal.
and also new LPs from the following that I personally am less excited for but are maybe a big deal for a lot of people: Dream Theater, Deerhoof, Biffy Clyro, and yet another Guided By Voices LP (they keep churning them out, don't they?).
Anyway, this seems to be a relatively big release friday for sort of mid tier famous artists. Bedouine, Grouper, LDR, and JPEGMAFIA will probably be my first listens personally. _________________ -Ryan
new peggy album?!!! Not in database yet (understandably) but its coming tonight in a few hours and its called simply "LP!" by JPEGMAFIA
I think he's trolling a bit with the playlist. The 'online' version and 'actual (?)' version have different tracklistings. One has 'Bald!' and the other has 'Hazard Duty Pay!', two of the lead singles 🤣
And there's a couple other switch-ups too.
Going to dive in Lana's record now. Only one tracklist there. EDIT: Is it my headphones, or is this clipping like mad? 🤔 _________________ Doubles & Conch
Last edited by Hayden on 10/22/2021 15:21; edited 1 time in total
MercuryTurn your back on the pay-you-back last callProfile St. Louis
new peggy album?!!! Not in database yet (understandably) but its coming tonight in a few hours and its called simply "LP!" by JPEGMAFIA
I think he's trolling a bit with the playlist. The 'online' version and 'actual (?)' version have different tracklistings. One has 'Bald!' and the other has 'Hazard Duty Pay!', two of the lead singles 🤣
And there's a couple other switch-ups too.
Going to dive in Lana's record now. Only one tracklist there.
I heard about that and forgot how that may be a bit confusing for the BEA database. He is a bit of a wild card and I respect his troll game (if it is one). _________________ -Ryan
Actually, You Can by Deerhoof
latest release from indie hard rockers Deerhoof. i've only listened once through, and i am a chronic shiny new toy syndrome sufferer, but i think this is their best record to date.
Sissoko dropped a sister album to his release earlier this year. Completely missed it. Beautiful stuff. Just as good as Djourou. Very glad it's two records though, would have been too lengthy as a double LP.
Louca impressed me with his previous record, but this is even a step above that. Excellent modern Arabic jazz. Very dark, textural, a little grim, hoarse. Almost feels you can touch it. One of my unexpected favourites of the year.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum