CLosed2022 BST Rd1: Jenny Hval v Mydreamfever

View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which Song?
Jenny Hval- Year of Love:
58%
 58%  [10]
Mydreamfever- Moment is Now:
41%
 41%  [7]
Total Votes : 17

  • Quote
Jenny Hval- Year of Love
Captain: Repo


Link



Repping: Norway


VS


Mydreamfever- Moment is Now

Captain: Eyekanfly


Link



Repping: Seoul, South Korea


Last edited by cestuneblague on 02/09/2023 22:40; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
A tough one. Year of Love is a beautiful poppy track by Hval, it's a style of hers I prefer (perhaps controversially) to her earlier more experimental and spoken word stuff. Moment is Now comes from a consistently beautiful and chill Parannoul/mydreamfever album, but it doesn't work as well in single format imo. Both excellent choices though, thanks Repo and Eyekanfly. Leaning mydreamfever, but will have to think about this one.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
Hval gets this one for me, but genuinely not by much. I think it's like Ledzep saidโ€” just works better as a single.

Looking forward to Parannoul's new record. Should get around to that later today.
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:
Looking forward to Parannoul's new record. Should get around to that later today.

I think it's his best one yet, but I too was compelled to vote for Jenny Hval here. Cynics might assume this is because Classic Objects is her first 4AD album and I'm basically a 4AD cheerleader, but it really is a good album, which I've yet to put on my 2020's chart for some reason. One of these days...

Moment is Now is an interesting neo-classical (and borderline ambient) collection which everyone who's into that sort of thing should check out, though (particularly since it's NYOP on Bandcamp like Parannoul's other, more dreampoppy/shoegazey stuff). But for a "song of the year" contest, sorry but I can't really vote against Jenny for what amounts to an improvisational piece, despite how nice and/or pleasant it sounds.
  • Quote
MadhattanJack wrote:
I think it's his best one yet

Me too. Or at least tied with mydreamfever, have a lot of love for it too.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
Hval used to own this forum community.
  • Quote
I actually really like both of these tracks, but went with Mydreamfever by just a hair.
_________________
Griselda, by Fashion Rebels
2020's Hip-Hop
2020's Country
  • Quote
Jenny Hval finds a new way to be fancy, as she adds an exotic touch to her sound, nice.
Moment is now, on the other hand, is a piece of stunning beauty, hard to vote against it.
_________________
Bob Dylan
Charles Mingus
  • Quote
Jenny Hval - Year of Love
Sometimes I confuse it with Julia Holter, probably because of the initials.
Lost Girls - Menneskekollektivet (already was my example).
This means that for me its strong point is the atmosphere.
In the 2022 bid, there is a desire to experiment with simple shapes.
The sound lost its riddle, interesting differences mixed with banal repetitions.

Mydreamfever - Moment is Now
The brand does not evoke associations in me.
Although the rating pedigree is not buried so deeply.
I quickly realized the Parannoul connection, thanks to the comments.
The fresh album is now on the buzz - roughly among the top 5 of 2023.
I don't see anything exceptional that would justify such popularity.
But this track looks more holistic.
  • Quote
BEA still in love with Hval 10-7

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] Elite 8: Julia Jacklin v. Jenny Hval baystateoftheart Tournaments
[ Poll ] Sweet 16: Weyes Blood v. Jenny Hval baystateoftheart Tournaments
[ Poll ] (Closed) 2015-2019 Round 2: Jenny Hva... babyBlueSedan Tournaments
[ Poll ] Round 1: Black Midi v. Jenny Hval baystateoftheart Tournaments
[ Poll ] (Closed) 2015-2019 Round 1: Jenny Hva... babyBlueSedan Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.