What album are you listening to right now?

Goto page Previous  123 ... 199481994919950 ... 219272192821929  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

The Clarke / Duke Project by Stanley Clarke / George Duke
  • Quote
CharlieBarley wrote:
Romanelli wrote:
You can certainly bring that point up to albummaster, but it's one of those consistency things...keeping that as a rule means that there isn't chaos in trying to get more popular covers in place over originals...and not everyone is going to agree on those. The butcher cover may have been shocking in the sixties... but I'd be surprised if anyone was offended by it today. And covers can be marked as NSFW. And there are a LOT of covers that can be seen as offensive that don't have any kind of alternates. There are covers here that I wouldn't show to my kids...



There are a lot of offensive covers here on BEA. I had to block a user, block seeing their posts cos of offensive album covers they posted on this forum. It was years ago but I was shocked. One album was by Scorpions and it looked to me like paedophilia. And another showed a picture of a cartoon Pope being led to his execution which I found offensive. Like you say there are some shocking album covers.

So why don't you ban them and find alternative ones?

I am sure the two albums mentioned aren't sold in shops.
And I'm pretty sure BEA doesn't have the original cover of The Jimi Hendrix Experience's Electric Ladyland. They only use the alternative cover now, not the photo of naked women, which I remember being in music shops as a kid.


It only takes a little research...the cover that you see of Electric Ladyland is the US cover. The one you mention is the UK cover. The album was released in the US nine days before it was released in the UK. The cover on BEA is the original release.

Again...I do know that BEA does have a Not Safe For Work option. I do know that album covers can be reported and if they are deemed offensive (nudity, for example), they are flagged as such. And as I have mentioned, many (most) albums do not have alternate covers to display. If you don't like seeing albums with offensive covers, I believe that there is a setting you can use to filter them out.
_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote

Relish by Joan Osborne
_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote

Daydream by The Lovin' Spoonful
  • Quote

The Record by Boygenius
  • Quote
NoisyBeast wrote:

Get Ready by New Order


Nice. Probably my favorite post-1980s New Order Album
  • Quote
Johnnyo wrote:
Romanelli wrote:
CharlieBarley wrote:
Johnnyo wrote:
NoisyBeast wrote:
matterhornrider wrote:
neilgee wrote:

The Man Who Sold The World by David Bowie


nice pick, but

this is the wrong album cover

I'm intrigued though :D


Me too. Never seen this cover before.


I read on Wikipedia years ago that American music execs didn't want a cover with a man in a dress. But I thought the U.S. alternative cover was a Photo of Bowie in spiky hair kicking the air.

Personally I think it should be the original cover on BEA. In the dress.
Also loads of AC/DC covers are the wrong ones.
I'm sure others have noticed


The rule on BEA is that the original covers are used. Unlike some other sites, we only have one version of each album...and that version is the original. I know that it sometimes appears wrong, but a lot is done to make sure that the covers are original. Sometimes those originals are far from the popular covers...but if it's original, then on BEA, it's correct.

If you see covers that you believe are wrong, you can question it...you can use the suggestions forum, or you can add a note to the album moderation for someone to look at it.

In the case of this album, it was released in 1970 in the US with the cover shown above. That's the original. The dress cover (the more known one) came out in 1971. The one above is the correct cover because it's the original.


Fascinating stuff. Thanks for clarifying. Never knew that this was the original cover.


Thanks Romanelli for your explanation. I know Jimi Hendrix didn't care for the U.K. cover, which was released first, of Are You Experienced and was much more involved in the design of the U.S. cover. However having a consistent policy of showing the original release photo of Albums does maintain integrity.


Get Ready by New Order
  • Quote

Dawn Of A New Age by N.A.D.
  • Quote

Ramp by Giant Sand
  • Quote
CharlieBarley wrote:
Romanelli wrote:
CharlieBarley wrote:
Johnnyo wrote:
NoisyBeast wrote:
matterhornrider wrote:
neilgee wrote:

The Man Who Sold The World by David Bowie


nice pick, but

this is the wrong album cover

I'm intrigued though :D


Me too. Never seen this cover before.


I read on Wikipedia years ago that American music execs didn't want a cover with a man in a dress. But I thought the U.S. alternative cover was a Photo of Bowie in spiky hair kicking the air.

Personally I think it should be the original cover on BEA. In the dress.
Also loads of AC/DC covers are the wrong ones.
I'm sure others have noticed


The rule on BEA is that the original covers are used. Unlike some other sites, we only have one version of each album...and that version is the original. I know that it sometimes appears wrong, but a lot is done to make sure that the covers are original. Sometimes those originals are far from the popular covers...but if it's original, then on BEA, it's correct.

If you see covers that you believe are wrong, you can question it...you can use the suggestions forum, or you can add a note to the album moderation for someone to look at it.

In the case of this album, it was released in 1970 in the US with the cover shown above. That's the original. The dress cover (the more known one) came out in 1971. The one above is the correct cover because it's the original.


Well well
I just read something slightly different to your interpretation Romanelli.

You are right that the 1970 release with the the cowboy in front of the asylum was the first version to be released and in the U.S. No quibbles there.

Bowie approved of the album cover at the time. His friend designed it. At first he was keen on it.
However what you fail to mention is that Bowie soon changed his mind about the cover and shot the one wearing his man's 'Fish' dress named after British designer Michael Fish. Bowie changed his mind.

In the U.S. Mercury rejected the man dress photo, and released the cowboy cover. But this was against Bowie's wishes at the time. In 1972 he described Weller's cowboy photo as 'horrible'. Although later in 1999 he re-appraised his opinion about it, saying he thought it was 'really cool' which it kinda is, imo.

But Bowie wore the Fish dress to promote the album in the U.S. in 1972, even though Americans didn't know why.

I can see your point when the cowboy cover is the cover you know. But here in the UK the dress cover has always been the one we know. And it was the one Bowie preferred himself. He is the artist after all.

I Love the controversy surrounding this topic!
Definitely understand the motive to feature original artwork from country of originโ€ฆ but this case is definitely perplexing. Dig it! โค๏ธ

New topic  Closed Move by albummaster on 02/13/2025 16:16
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 199481994919950 ... 219272192821929  Next
Page 19949 of 21929


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: User Listening Log Masterlist mickilennial Music Diaries
What ***VINYL*** album are you listen... RoundTheBend Music
What album are you listening to right... danfaitz Music
What note are you listening to right ... GARY Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.