General Film Chat

Goto page Previous  123 ... 171819 ... 232425  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

LazyTown by LazyTown
  • Quote

Link
  • Quote
You might have heard in the news the writer's strike has resolved. Some good news. Now we need the actor's strike to resolve so more films and events don't get delayed (and I can have a regular job again ; )

I saw The Creator yesterday. Decent sci-fi flick, totally worth seeing on the big screen.
  • Quote
what are you fine folks' 10 or 20 or 25 or whatever favorite film directors ranked...

and if you were looking broadly at like film history, like a basic broad film school look, what would you say are the top 10 or 25 or whatever most SIGNIFICANT and greatest and must-watch filmmakers ever in your opinion.

In preperation for the 1960s films survey thing we will be doing I have been amending and pruning and working through my lists and rewatching and watching for the first time some movies and some of this are from absolute LUMINARIES of the art form, like Luis Bunuel and Robert Bresson, and as I often tend to do, I started wondering who are the true GIANTS and great innovators and most important directors ever.

The first names I thought of - the ones that seem to be whispered with awe and reverence - were Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Godard, Kurosawa, Ozu. Then later I remembered that Ford should be in there. I left him off I suppose because I haven't personally recognized what is so damned genius about his films. I like a few of em, but I think his innovations are so ingrained at this point that while I watch them now I don't see too many things that make me go "Wow! That was innovative and flashy and creative!" like I do with most of the first few mentioned. I suppose I actually have a similar feeling about Ozu but even more so. His style is so understated and minimalistic. But I have had it it drilled into my head that Ozu is an uber-genius that I just thought of him.

Whereas with Hitchcock and Godard, even though I wan't say I'm as of yet a huge fan of them, I can see and feel what made them such absolutely creative forces of nature. With Tarkovsky, Kurosawa and especially Bergman both the reputation "out there" as well as my own love match up nicely.


Anyway, I think maybe we did a poll like this a few years back. But I can't remember. And I just was curious. I want to go back to basics and list out for myself the 20 giants of the art and queue up 1 to 4 films by each to give me a firm grounding in the pre-spielberg/modern blockbuster era of cinema. But you need not limit your input to such an arbitrary cut off. I just personally find myself drawn to the 60s and earlier masters more these days than almost anything from the late 70s onwards styles and innovators. blah blah blahh

let me know... if ya wanna.

-----------------------

oh and i'll post my faves and what I think are the most iconic later.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
In an earlier era, but I'd consider Fritz Lang and Charlie Chaplin to be giants as well. They made the transition from silent to talkies better than anyone I'm aware of (though to be fair my knowledge of film history is lacking compared to many on BEA).

When I think of "true GIANTS and great innovators", Kurosawa, Bergman, and Hitchcock also come to mind, although I feel like you might be leaving out Kubrick in this list. There's a few "active" directors who I think may go down in history in this category as well: Scorsese in particular, but also Spielberg and Cameron (despite their repertoire not being as consistent as many of the others listed, they're the 2 highest grossing directors and 2 of the most well known by non-film buffs). In terms of other "active" directors, I'd love to see Greta Gerwig and Spike Lee included in that list eventually, though I suppose that depends on their future output.

I'm excited to watch more Tarkovsky and Godard as we get into the 60s. I don't think I've seen anything by Godard yet, and what I've seen by Tarkovsky has wowed me so I'm excited for more.
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Cubbierill/favorite-filmmakers-2022-edition/
  • Quote
Applerill wrote:
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Cubbierill/favorite-filmmakers-2022-edition/

Interesting to see John Waters so high up! I recently read Liarmouth, his first novel, and it was so balls-to-the-wall ridiculous and hilarious that I'm excited to see what comes of the film adaptation
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
Yeah, speaking of which, TSPDT is now having a "Beyond the Canon" poll, where you are asked to make a top 100 features without ANY films that were on a SINGLE 2022 S&S ballot. I think it's a pretty rewarding and fun challenge.

https://letterboxd.com/cubbierill/list/beyond-the-canon-ballot/
  • Quote
Applerill wrote:
https://letterboxd.com/cubbierill/list/beyond-the-canon-ballot/

No Putney Swope? ๐Ÿค”
  • Quote
I dunno, I've LIKED Putney Swipe since first being recommended it by Film Crit Hulk in high school, but I never really LOVED it. In fact, my brother's been a much bigger fan than I have.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 171819 ... 232425  Next
Page 18 of 25


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Film General Hayden Movies & TV
Random chat HigherThanTheSun Lounge
Sticky the Random Chat and the "... Guest Suggestions
Our Country Music Chat JOSweetHeart Music
chat Guest Suggestions

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.