My discoveries per year
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1661
- Posted: 02/13/2025 21:26
- Post subject: Round 16: 1989
|
Two albums of 1989 I listened to:
First an album I already own/know:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
On Fire by Galaxie 500
Maybe their first album was a bit better but also this album is very good. This is a real slowburner in the very literal sense but somehow most tracks seem to end up in some kind of catharctic point in which the guitar plays a very nice role. I like this album and it goes from the 36th to the 19th rank.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Spike by Elvis Costello
The album starts off fine with very good songs like Veronica and Deep Dark Truthful Mirror and good songs like ...This Town, God's Comic and Tramp The Dirt Down. But after that things start to go downhill. OK it's a varied album but it's definitely too long. If Elvis would have trimmed it a bit, this would be a much better one. Still ok for my year chart but only at the 51st rank.
|
|
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1662
- Posted: 02/17/2025 21:00
- Post subject: Round 16: 1990
|
Two albums of 1990 I listened to:
First an album I already know/own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Hell To Pay by The Jeff Healey Band
This band and singer/guitar player and album sound bluesy but many people will say a somewhat cheesy version of the blues. But that's not taking into account the very own style of guitar playing Jeff Healey has which in my ears is very interesting and wonderful. One of the best examples is how he tackles the cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps which is absolutely...wonderful. Overall this album is a gem which I already appreciated when it was released. Unfortunately, except for a greatest hits, I haven't really listened to his other albums so I should do something about that. This one goes up from the 40th to the 21st rank of the year.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Lloyd Cole by Lloyd Cole
The album where Lloyd Cole went solo and it's certainly not as good as his Commotions period. Of course there are some highlights (and with a voice like that he will always charm me) mainly centered round the end of the album and overall the album is not bad. Just not the genius of his former albums with that band. The album enters my year chart at the 45th rank.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1663
- Posted: 02/19/2025 20:28
- Post subject: Round 16: 1991
|
Two albums of 1991 I listened to:
First an album I already own/know:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Funeral At The Movies by Shudder To Think
More of a mini album and certainly not one of their best but still ok and goes from the 60th to the 70th rank of 1991.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Scavenger by The Walkabouts
Again a band I wouldn't like at first view because they seem to be situated in the country atmosphere but there is really a lot I like about them and not in the least the voice of Carla Torgerson. And of course the guitar playing which is always very interesting. There are two grandiose tracks here: the long ending song Train To Mercy which follows a fairly classic rhythm but which just gets more intricate the more it goes to its end. And also Nothing Is A Stranger has some great guitar work. But the whole album is good so this album goes to the 39th rank.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1664
- Posted: 02/20/2025 21:02
- Post subject: Round 16: 1992
|
Two albums of 1992 I listened to:
First an album I already own/know:
Magic And Loss by Lou Reed
And a bit underestimated by me up to now. This is definitely an album about (human) loss but the way in which he brings is just fabulous and in a way not depressing. The best song, Sword Of Damecles, is in fact fairly uptempo and could well have fit in the album he made with John Cale in remembrance of Andy Warhol (Songs For Drella). The other tracks are much more downbeat but some of them, like What's Good, Warrior King And Power And The Glory (the two versions) are also good. So no wonder this album just has to move from the 81st to the 49th rank of the year.
And an album from my wishlist
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
You, The Night And The Music by Gallon Drunk
Some crazy keyboards, some tribal drumming, some cramps/The Fall guitars and weirdness, some jazzy film noir atmosphere and above all a sound completely in the style of The Birthday Party, the singing style of Nick Cave included. I fairly like it so the album comes in at the 65th rank.
Last edited by dihansse on 02/22/2025 17:10; edited 1 time in total
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Great discovery, unfortunately not too close
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1667
- Posted: 02/22/2025 17:19
- Post subject: Round 16: 1993
|
Two albums of 1993 I listened to:
First and album I already own/know:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
In Utero by Nirvana
Nearly as good as that other album of theirs. A bit more uncompromising but not less good. And full of highlights, the best of which have even been more highlighted on their unplugged album: I only have to mention All Apologies. And even more of a classic than I had it ranked originally because it goes from the 12th to the 4th rank of the year (with other classics preceding it).
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Perfect Teeth by Unrest
Good jangly album sometimes with frantic Wedding Present strumming included. Enters at the 61st rank.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1668
- Posted: 02/23/2025 20:48
- Post subject: Round 16: 1994
|
Two albums of 1994 I listened to:
First an album I already know/own:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Wildflowers by Tom Petty
A solo album by Tom Petty and not as rocking as his albums with The heartbreakers but in fact I really like these soft-spoken songs of him like To Find A Friend and Crawling Back To You and not so much a rocker like Honey Bee. Overall an album I start to appreciate more than I used to and it climbs from the 89th to the 59th rank of the year.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
The Great Subconscious Club by K's Choice
In fact the band was still called the Choice on this album but had to change their name to K's Choice after it. So this is their first album and The Ballad Of Lea And Paul was a modest hit in Belgium. But they still were growing and grew immensely popular in Belgium (although they kept on being accused of being not street credible enough but who cares) but not yet on this album where they kept it fairly low-key but that that doesn't make it less beautiful. Most of the good songs are at the front of the album but overall I would recommend the whole album to anyone who still can appreciate a good poprock album with a singer (at the time female now male) with a really fine grain in her voice.
The album enters at the 47th rank in my year chart.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1669
- Posted: 02/24/2025 20:44
- Post subject: Round 16: 1995
|
Two albums of 1995 I listened to:
First an album I already own/know:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Is The Actor Happy? by Vic Chesnutt
Wow this is an underrated artist. This album just sounds a bit sloppy but isn't at all because it is brimming with great songs like Gravity Of The Situation, Strange Language, Guilty By Association and many more. So the album rises from the 73rd to the 40th rank.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Seaborne West by Daryll-Ann
Not very special, this album from this Dutch band but just good enough for me year chart at the 57th rank.
|
|
|
|
dihansse
dihansse
Profile
- #1670
- Posted: 02/26/2025 21:27
- Post subject: Round 16: 1996
|
Two album of 1996 I listened to:
First an album I already own/know:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
2 by Dildo Warheads
A fairly average Belgian rock album which moves down from the 55th to the 64th rank.
And an album from my wishlist:
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Tarantula by Ride
I'm a fan of their first three albums and also like some of their newer ones but this fourth album is not really my thing. The thing is not so much that they moved from shoegaze to fairly regular britpop but just that there aren't a lot of really good songs here. So ok for my top chart but not at the highest ranks: at nr 57.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
New topic Post reply
|
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
|
| Page 167 of 195 |
|
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
|
|
| |