Best Tribute Albums?

Goto page 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
I was looking through my collection of tribute albums and wondered what all of you think are some of the best tribute albums out there. Suggested listening? (I know there have been a lot of crappy tribute albums, too...but, if there's a stand-out track on one of these, let us know, too!)

A few of my very favorite tribute albums are:

Nativity in Black: A Tribute to Black Sabbath
If I Were a Carpenter [tribute to the Carpenters]
Stoned Immaculate: The Music of the Doors
Kiss My Ass: Classic Kiss Regrooved
Common Thread: The Songs of the Eagles
Rave On Buddy Holly
Stoned Again: A Tribute to the Rolling Stones
Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin
We're a Happy Family: A Tribute to the Ramones
Stone Free: A Tribute to Jimi Hendrix
Virus 100 [tribute to the Dead Kennedys]
_________________
Speakers of the House DJ
  • Quote
I actually really like the Led Zeppelin tribute album "Enconium". It captures who was popular at that time perfectly, and features a great surprise with a cover of Custard Pie by Helmet and David Yow of all people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-mKWT_...mp;index=7
  • Quote
Like you I think tribute albums are usually disappointing and crappy but here's a few that at least I find kind of amusing

Easy-Stars' Lonely Hearts Dub Band. (Sergeant Pepper tribute)
Dub Side of,the Moon. (Dark Side of the Moon tribute)
Dubber Side of the Moon
The ABBA Generation. A-Teens
All This and World War Too. (Beatles songs)
Nilsson Sings Newman Harry Nilsson
Love to love you Donna (Donna Summer tribute)
For the Love of Harry. Everybody sings Nilsson
If I Were a Carpenter
Radiodread. Easy Star All- Stars ((OK Computer).
  • Quote
Common Thread: The Songs Of The Eagles
Sharp Dressed Men: A Tribute To ZZ Top

God bless you always!!!

Holly
_________________
Me & my favorite singer James Otto

Check him out here when you can!
  • Quote
I made a list: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=38709
  • Quote
JOSweetHeart wrote:
Common Thread: The Songs Of The Eagles
Sharp Dressed Men: A Tribute To ZZ Top

God bless you always!!!

Holly


Hey, youre the country music girl, so I'm really surprised you didn't say I Remember Patsy by Loretta Lynn. Heh heh
  • Quote
I looked at the list I posted and realized that maybe tribute albums are best when they have a not too serious tone to them. All the ones I listed are more like fun than they are serious.
  • Quote
I wouldn't class Dub Side Of The Moon as a 'tribute' album in the truest sense, more of a re-imagining of the original work. In actual fact I listen to it more than Dark Side... these days.

These Beatles tribute albums spring to mind, ranked in order from best to worst:


The Rutles by The Rutles


Link



Link



(What's The Story) Morning Glory? by Oasis
_________________
'Reggae' & t'ing
Folk 'n Stuff
SHAMELESS RECORD DEALER PLUG
  • Quote
Jimmy Dread wrote:
I wouldn't class Dub Side Of The Moon as a 'tribute' album in the truest sense, more of a re-imagining of the original work. In actual fact I listen to it more than Dark Side... ]


The; only Easy Stars one I haven't heard is the Thriller one. But all the others are a lot of fun.
  • Quote
One of my favorites is "Listen To What The Man Said", 90s power pop icons like Matthew Sweet, Owsley, Sloan, Finn Brothers etc. plays McCartney.
Almost as good is the soundtrack from "I am Sam" where Aimee Mann, Rufus W, Ben Folds etc. do the same with Beatles.

OK, they are not fantastic, but very seldom tribute albums are.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 12  Next
Page 1 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
GARY tribute thread Thrillhouse Lounge
free nevermind tribute Guest Music
Favorite "TRIBUTE" album? Captain_Dude Music
Compile a Tribute Album Guest Tournaments
best ever albums or coolest ever albums martintho Suggestions

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.