I have a feeling that a large contributor in the overall charts is the fact that many users just join the site, put Radiohead as No.1, and then never return.
There are A LOT of these users. Many have been around for up to 1000+ days, but have little to no 'member points' aside from 'size of chart' points.
Something should be done about these inactive users.
Here's what I propose based on what was suggested here http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...p;start=10:
-User Charts don't contribute to overall charts until the user is Level 1 (10 points)
-Users inactive for more than a year should be given a warning email, and then deleted if the user doesn't log into the site within a month or two
-exceptions should be given to the above rule if the user is Level 2 (500 points) or higher, or is a premium member
I feel this will make for a more accurate overall chart by getting rid of / not counting users who sign up and leave, but allowing users who forgot about the site to return.
Also, one more quick suggestion/question, how much are the 'official' charts (e.g. Rolling Stone, NME, etc.) worth in relation to user charts? I think it would be a good idea to have these charts weighted slightly more, given that they were compiled professionally, sometimes by up to 50 people, and therefore should be worth more than just one random's opinion. My suggestion is that these charts have not 50x the weighting, but more like 2x-4x the weighting. There are less than 20 of these 'official' charts, but once again I think it would help shape a more accurate overall chart.
I agree with everything you said except the weighted rating of "professional" charts, I don't think they should get a higher rating. I agree they are professional lists... At telling people what they like to hear, ie Ok Computer is the best record ever.
Those lists are jokes and I would prefer if we didn't have them at all
Definitely those that are no longer visting the site, their chart should be removed from calculation into the overall chart. Albummaster did this with offical charts over 10 years. Maybe we need a restriction of 2-5 years for member charts (possibly shorter). We could keep the charts there but just remove their impact on the overall rankings.
Definitely those that are no longer visting the site, their chart should be removed from calculation into the overall chart. Albummaster did this with offical charts over 10 years. Maybe we need a restriction of 2-5 years for member charts (possibly shorter). We could keep the charts there but just remove their impact on the overall rankings.
So basically, for a chart to count towards the overall rankings:
-the user must be Level 1 (10 points) - NOT including 'size of chart' points
-the chart has to have been updated in the last 2 years
This will keep the overall charts dynamic and relevant.
User accounts that haven't been active for a few years should be sent an email, and deleted if there is no response for a couple of months.
I agree with removing user charts from the rankings but not from the site when they are older than 5 years. Remove user charts and ratings when over 10 years or upon user request. I also agree with adding user charts to the rankings only after their Total Score is at least 110 (including Chart Size).
I agree with this topic.
I think we do have some flaws in our overall chart, that make it look a bit pathetic. (com'on, we have a Switchfoot album in the top 500 ๐งฑ )
But maybe not delete their charts? Just do that '-' no point thing with it. This could be given to any chart not edited in the last 2 years? ๐ So if they ever want to come back, they can have their chart back? Something along those lines.
Who knows. Maybe Ok Computer won't be number 1 any more ๐คฃ
and the Joshua Tree will be long gone ๐๐ _________________ Doubles & Conch
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum