Apologies if this topic has been covered before (I'm sure it has - I can't be arsed to trawl through a mountain of old threads as I'm lazy by nature), but after listening to Trout Mask Replica for the umpeeth time and thinking how my tastes have changed over the years, I wonder what people's 'biggest turnaround' LPs are in terms of going from revulsion to compulsion and vice versa:
3 of each to start you off..
HATED NOW LOVE
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica (must be a perservence thing)
The Slits - Cut (must be a reggae thing)
Steeleye Span - Hark! The Village Wait (must be a real ale thing)
LOVED NOW HATE
Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory (must be as I'm over 30)
The Verve - Urban Hymns (must be because the drugs do work)
Bluetones - Expecting To Fly (must be because I had my ears syringed)
God... Britpop was a pile of shit. Anyway, over to you...
hate and now love:
Captain Beefheart-Trout Mask Replica
Clash-Sandinista!
John Coltrane-Ascension
Metallica-Ride the Lightning
Public Image Ltd.-Second Edition
Slint-Spiderland
love and now hate:
Beastie Boys-Licensed to Ill
Dead Kennedys
Mars Volta
Fugazi
Hole
and I've always hated and may always hate Bjork, R.E.M., and Royal Trux-Twin Infinitives
thing is I rarely hate an album (there's like 3-4 or something that I hate) so I'm gonna rephrase it for myself...
ALBUMS
DISLIKE NOW LIKE
In Utero - Nirvana (I thought it was a mess initially but re-listens gave it...clarity)
The Eminem Show - Eminem (2 years ago I'd have professed my hatred for Shady. I was wrong.)
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco (Like way back in the day and I think most people go through this a little bit but it's more than worth it obviously)
LIKE NOW DISLIKE
Absolution - Muse (I went from liking to disliking the band so naturally this album being them at their most "museish" Is the one I now like least)
Play - Moby (it may just be a temporary thing but last time I listened to it it was just so...empty)
I See A Darkness - Bonnie "Prince" Billy (First listen I was all: "This is amazing! I've found my new favourite!" second listen: "eh")
ARTISTS
DISLIKE NOW LIKE
Bob Dylan (Shame on me and in general my loss)
Rihanna (I grew up and realised pop music had stuff to offer as well. I went from hating Umbrella with a passion to absolutley adoring it)
Silverchair (Although I'm a little bit apathetic about them right now)
LIKE NOW DISLIKE
Muse (Obviously)
Bloc Party (Could also have The Killers here, bands I go in and out of liking and disliking but never hate)
Powderfinger (A band I liked when I wasn't into music. Saying that however I listened to some of their older stuff recently and it was actually alright. But the most overrated band in Australia)
I think for me the most obvious example of "hated, now love" is Funeral by Arcade Fire. I think I just had to get used of the guys voice.
Then I guess most of hip hop music, though I can't say by name. I just disliked the entire genre by default, but now I like quite a lot of artists. Then maybe Bjรถrk - I didn't exactly dislike her, but I prefered Sugarcubes and I couldn't find anything by her to really enjoy (then one day I listened to full albums by her.. and then again and again until she became one of my favourite artists)
I really don't remember any artist that I would like but now dislike. I mean there are some that I lost some of my appreciation for but it's nothing too "passionate"
Hated now loved: Rap
When I was 11-12 I was in that phase most teenagers go thourgh. The "rap isn't real music" phase. I litteraly thought it was all bitches and ho's. however, i started listening to eminema nd figured he was rather good. From there I went onto Tupac, public Enemy,Kanye West and Jay Z.
Loved now Hate
Below The Heavens - Blu & Exile. When I first listened to this album I was blown away, this was to me th greatest album ever. However, recently to see if it still holds up I listened to it again and... it bored the hell out of me!
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum