Album of the day (#2598): New Adventures In Hi-Fi by R.E.M.

Goto page 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Today's album of the day

New Adventures In Hi-Fi by R.E.M. (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1996.
Country:
Overall rank: 667
Average rating: 77/100 (from 379 votes).



Tracks:
1. How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us
2. Wake-Up Bomb
3. New Test Leper
4. Undertow
5. E-Bow The Letter
6. Leave
7. Departure
8. Bittersweet Me
9. Be Mine
10. Binky The Doormat
11. Zither
12. So Fast, So Numb
13. Low Desert
14. Electrolite

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Quote
Underrated R.E.M. album. It took me a while to get into it but it's good. And Electrolite is one of my favourite songs of theirs.
  • Quote
Stover75 wrote:
Underrated R.E.M. album. It took me a while to get into it but it's good. And Electrolite is one of my favourite songs of theirs.


YES.

Also this with Patty Smith:

Link
  • Quote
I recently listened to all the R.E.M. albums from the beginning through to this one. Granted, I'm not much of a fan, but I arrived at the conclusion that for my listening purposes, they're more of a "greatest hits band" than an "own every album" kind of band (I know, almost as shameful as me not liking The Smiths).

Actually, what I like to do with a lot of bands like this (ones that are a bit marginal for me, but admittedly good) is find one album of theirs to love, and supplement it with a greatest hits to grab all the other moments I like. The album in the sweet spot for me is Document. The only problem is that they're isn't an R.E.M. greatest hits album in existence that has all the other radio singles that I like.

Anyway, New Adventures In Hi-Fi had almost nothing that interested me on it. Maybe, like many things, it just takes time and repeated listening.
  • Quote
Well I certainly like it but I'm generally a big fan. I don't really see this one as a standout or disappointment in their discography. Just another very good album- a worthwhile excursion into lo-fi and a few nice twists on the normal formula. I especially like the first and last tracks. What REM really offered in the 90s is variety in their albums. I like every 90s REM album.

Edit: the last track being Electrolyte of course. Already mentioned by Stover for its awesomeness!
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
I recently listened to all the R.E.M. albums from the beginning through to this one.


That's cool.

rkm wrote:

Granted, I'm not much of a fan, but I arrived at the conclusion that for my listening purposes, they're more of a "greatest hits band" than an "own every album" kind of band (I know, almost as shameful as me not liking The Smiths).


BLASPHEMY! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

rkm wrote:

The only problem is that they're isn't an R.E.M. greatest hits album in existence that has all the other radio singles that I like.


Have you tried this:

Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage 1982โ€“2011 by R.E.M.

rkm wrote:

Anyway, New Adventures In Hi-Fi had almost nothing that interested me on it. Maybe, like many things, it just takes time and repeated listening.


My first few listens, AS A HARDCORE R.E.M. FAN, I would have a agreed with you. Now I agree with the consensus this is one of their best records.





Kidding aside, all I'm saying is R.E.M. is one of those bands I enjoy 90% of every song on every album they've ever released, yes, every album. And of course you can disagree with me.
  • Quote
Thanks Seth. I didn't know that one existed. It might be more than enough for me.

I was going to ask you at what point you felt R.E.M. began to suck (as a parallel to U2), but it would seem they never sucked for you. I haven't listened past New Adventures In Hi-Fi.
  • Quote
On first listen I'm not amazed but I feel like this one will grow on me with time.
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
Thanks Seth. I didn't know that one existed. It might be more than enough for me.

I was going to ask you at what point you felt R.E.M. began to suck (as a parallel to U2), but it would seem they never sucked for you. I haven't listened past New Adventures In Hi-Fi.


Actually yes. I don't feel like R.E.M. ever reached a status where I lost respect for them. The did the right thing and threw in the towel. Were some of their efforts not as amazing, sure. Were there still amazing tracks and still overall the album was above average and often better than other artists best efforts, absolutely.

I will say Reveal and Around the Sun are pretty weak, but still not terrible.

Here's a great song per album after this album (imo):
A sequel to Houston and full of that R.E.M. sincerity I love:

Link


One of my favorite sayings and it's nice to hear R.E.M. do this style better this time imo:

Link


The lyrics on this are just pure gold politically and the music ain't too shabby either, even if slow burner:

Link


I like this twang they can do, yet can still have that beautiful mockery, combined with the influence of UP

Link


I love how this builds up to the guitar with the strings in the beginning and then it just explodes. The beat is pretty sick too. The swagger of the vocals is pretty solid.

Link
  • Quote
PaperVinnie wrote:
On first listen I'm not amazed but I feel like this one will grow on me with time.


yes it will ๐Ÿ˜„

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 12  Next
Page 1 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: Release Day Eve Repo Music
[ Poll ] Swim vs The Orb's Adventures Beyond t... purple Tournaments
The Great Adventures of Kool Keith Kool Keith Sweat Music Diaries
Purple, Jackwc and Necharsian's adven... SquishypuffDave Lounge

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.