Nominated by: AwaitingAndrew
Genres [RYM]: Indie Pop, Dream Pop
Instructions:
If you have not already, please listen to both albums in full before voting. Share your thoughts and/or your vote in this thread. This poll will be tallied in no fewer than twenty-eight days. See Tournament Spreadsheet for the full bracket. _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
Well, I don't see any scenario in which Turnover beats Nick Cave in Round 1, but if at least one user listens to Altogether and enjoys the album, I'll be satisfied.
However much I respect the idea behind Ghosteen, I never really got into the album and I must say listening to the first track of Turnover I quite liked it. But after listening further the album becomes a real drag, a bit like the figure on the album cover. So finally a choice for Ghosteen.
I can understand why Altogether didn't get the kindest reception. It's very mellow, smooth as butter, and covers well-worn musical territory. But it's also an ideal relaxing album for a hot summer day. I independently came to the same conclusion as someone in the RYM comment box, which is that it sounds a lot like early Beach Fossils. And I am a fan of early Beach Fossils. It has even less edge musically, and in terms of variety it's all a hazy blend, but it's a very pleasant album that released a bunch of endorphins for me.
I also really enjoyed Ghosteen, although not every track worked and I felt it was a step back from the great Skeleton Tree. It is perhaps the better-made album, but I can't honestly say I liked it more. So vote to Turnover. _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
Purplepashranker, rater, & music list makerProfile Western Australia
Love ghosteen, reminds of the best of his early 00s work but still very much about The Now, and again just a really great album to get lost in as hard as that can be sometimes. Turnover was pleasent to listen to from beggining to end, and... that's all I got from it. True Neutral. So easy vote for Nick this time around.
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum