ALC #2: STURLE DAGSLAND

Goto page 123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

Sturle Dagsland by Sturle Dagsland
Available on Spotify, Apple Music, Bandcamp, and I'm sure other platforms.

Sounds Like: Kind of a mix of experimental, somewhat psychedelic rock, Art/Prog Pop, Avant-Folk, and Nordic folk with blasts of Industrial, and some dreamy bits, and other stuff.

Origin: Stavanger, Norway.

Sturles Dagsland is an act composed of 2 brothers, Sturle and Sjur Dagsland. So, when speaking of Sturle Dagsland you could be speaking of just Sturle or Sturle and his brother. Very confusing. Sturle is the one singing and taking center stage as far as I can tell. They've been making music for a solid decade, and have been touring the world playing for many crowds. This is their debut.

Its a strange and off-the-wall kind of album. It mixes many sounds I recognize but as a whole its very unique. The lyrics are Norwegian as far as I know and so I don't understand a lick of it. A lot of the songs are sung with a wild, careening, random mix of barking, soaring spiritual notes, keening, and many other sounds. I wanted to see if I could learn more about some Norwegian folk or traditional singing styles that may have influenced this act, and sure enough I went down a rabbit hole of listening to Joik, which is a traditional singing style from that region. There are parts that definitely sound like that style. Other times it sounds like insane, manic, machinegun, speaking in tongues. Sometimes sounds like Bjork, sometimes like Michael Jackson when MJ used to let out those weird sorta barked sounds, other times when the music gets real pretty and stops being jagged the vocals sound like Jonsi/Sigur Ros, I could go on, but you get the idea.

I was meaning to be more like Gowi and make this a short sweet post, however, I am failing and rambling.

The album is only 29 minutes. The 11 tracks are all over the place as mentioned in the "Sounds Like" section. The production is somewhat noisy and I like how all the sounds blend together. Its a trippy mix of so many styles and, for me anyway, it manages to be completely unique and quite beautiful. Mixes organic/naturalistic sounds and vibes with more machine/industrial sounds.

I personally have listened to this about 7 times through and for some reason I never come through on the other side with a clear idea of what just transpired. It never settles on a sound or mood and the music is a unique enough brew that I tend to want to listen again to make more sense of all the chaos.

Currently this is my #2 album of 2021, but its a close call with the top 3-5 albums.

Anyway, that's all I have for now.

Actually, also here is a fun music video for one of the songs.

Link



What are your thoughts & impressions on this here album? Some of you may have more context for the, to my ears, unique style of this artist, and I am interested in learning about more stuff like this.

-Ryan
  • Quote
It was a little loud, but I liked this a lot <3
  • Quote
Glad I sampled this trippy thing and yes the Jonsi vibes are what I initially thought too... although way more manic. I kinda thought of Joanna Newsom too.

Will check out more/post more when I do.
  • Quote
What on earth am I listening to. Are the vocals sampled? I swear I'm hearing Michael Jackson and Bjork.
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:
What on earth am I listening to.

Pretty much my reaction haha. There were some compelling sounds though, and the songs are weirdly memorable. Or at least main melodies are. I liked it, but it's gonna take more than a few listens for my brain to process this lol.

Edit: There's obviously Xiu Xiu influences imo, but overall it doesn't exactly sound like anything I've heard. Especially the vocals.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s


Last edited by LedZep on 02/08/2021 17:36; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Dug a handful of the final few tracks for sure. Just such a crazy opening. Weird thing overall, but it def gets some points for being unique.
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
Um. I'm hungover for obvious reasons. Should I wait until tomorrow to listen to this?! ๐Ÿค” ๐Ÿคฃ
  • Quote
Repo wrote:
Um. I'm hungover for obvious reasons. Should I wait until tomorrow to listen to this?! ๐Ÿค” :lol:


I'd vote yes. Everything aside, it is quite loud.
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
Repo wrote:
Um. I'm hungover for obvious reasons. Should I wait until tomorrow to listen to this?! ๐Ÿค” :lol:

I started listening this morning and uh... yeah I would wait until the headache disperses haha
Gonna take another shot this evening or tomorrow and will update then.
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
Mercury wrote:
Sturles Dagsland is an act composed of 2 brothers, Sturle and Sjur Dagsland. So, when speaking of Sturle Dagsland you could be speaking of just Sturle or Sturle and his brother. Very confusing.



hey Ryan if you need me I'll be listening to an album that makes sense


nah this looks tight I'll check it out evening
_________________
A Variety of Artists

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 123  Next
Page 1 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
ALC #11: Encarnado by Juรงara Marรงal brun027 Music
ALC #20: Young Heart mickilennial Music
ALC #whatever (28?): Perfect Hair Guest Music
ALC #12: I Want The Door To Open by L... Repo Music
2013 ALC #3: Future Bible Heroes - Pa... tbakeman Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.