So I was listening to 'Dull Day' by the Birthday Party (I'm doing 1981 this week) and it got me thinking, I can think of several songs about having a perfect day, but I can't think of any other songs about having a dull day where nothing happens. Or just about being bored. Any ideas? Any genre welcome.
I did think of 'I'm Bored' by Iggy Pop, and 'Nothing Ever Happens' by Del Amitri.
Great shouts thanks. I am so embarrassed that I didn't instantly think of Boredom! (seeing as it is Edwyn Collins' favourite song and all)
That Rolling Stones one is interesting, you'd think from that title and the chorus that it would be a love song but it is clearly not. _________________ How did we survive before we had the entire history of recorded music instantly available at our fingertips?
One of my favourite songs. I did not know the meaning of the word "bored" at the time (being German) but easily guessed the meaning by listening to this song. _________________ When the stewardess is near do not show any fear.
Yet another band that I had never heard of. Reading their bio is very interesting. I am left wondering, when James Murphy name checks Niagara in 'Losing My Edge' was he actually referring to her (singer of Destroy All Monsters) and not the French New wave band from the 80's. Either would make sense. _________________ How did we survive before we had the entire history of recorded music instantly available at our fingertips?
Sleep the Clock Around by Belle & Sebastian, from The Boy with the Arab Strap (I see B&S was mentioned already, they have quite a few songs which I think work here, including a lot of that album)
Sunday Morning by Velvet Underground (& Nico)
Lazy Song by Bruno Mars, from Doo-Wops and Hooligans
Dopesmoker by Sleep, from Dopesmoker (it's basically an hour long song, fills the whole album pretty much; also any stoner metal works here really)
Futile Devices by Sufjan Stevens, from The Age of Adz
Not sure if any of these really fit what you're looking for but figured I'd throw a few ideas out there _________________ 51 Washington, D.C. albums!
I'm still loving this thread. It's like an old school (or middle school?) Bobbyb5 thread hehe
Great shouts on the 'Ballad of Who Can Care Less" and "Sunday Morning" guys.
I agree that B and S are probably masters of this mood, but I wasn't sure where to go next after the one I suggested! Lazy line Painter Jane?
Re: What to do. I actually only know the Meat Puppets version of this song, which has a really lazy feel to it. I used to have it on a comp of Rolling Stones covers (courtesy of Uncut magazine)
The Beach Boys - Busy doin' Nothing
The Beatles- I'm only sleeping
The Beatles- Fool on the hill
Belle and Sebastian- Is it wicked not to care?
Not sure if they exactly fit. I guess it depends if we're just talking about just songs that describe boredom as an uncomfortable/ restless feeling or also include songs about happily doing nothing/ watching the world go by. I guess if you are happy doing nothing then you are not actually bored. It seemed a related concept though hmmm
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum