Covers and Standards

Goto page 123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
A thread to post some of your favorite versions of songs. I'll start with a medley of Gershwin's Summertime and an old spiritual called "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child" by Mahalia Jackson. This is fabulous in my opinion.


Link
  • Quote
Here's another cover I love! Bettye Swann's version of The Isley Brothers song "This Old Heart Of Mine". I love how Bettye slowed this song down and gave it a totally different sound. I personally like Bettye's version better than the original.


Link
  • Quote
Bettye Swann also did a great cover of Elvis Presley's "Suspicious Minds".


Link
  • Quote
Been vibing to Ewa Beamโ€™s cover of โ€˜Here, There and Everywhereโ€™ a lot recently. Super queasy, oddly cheap sounding, and just off-kilter enough that it feels as though the whole thing is about to fall apart at any time. It takes in a real steady, almost dub-esque bassline, new age synths, and little flourishes of easy listening jazz guitar. Then thereโ€™s her singing voice, which aims for fairly straightforward vocal jazz but really benefits from that subtle, English-as-second-language thing that differentiates it from the norm. A really inventive take on a well-worn classic.


Link

_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
@Skinny Thank you for your reply. I had never heard of Ewa Beam.

Here's Reba McEntire's cover of "Oh Happy Day" (The Edwin Hawkins Singers).


Link
  • Quote
The Sesame Street children's TV show is where this song came from in 1971, but it was covered by both the legendary Barbra Streisand and the late and legendary Karen Carpenter. This rendition is from the 20th anniversary Sesame Street special in 1989. The 2:06 mark is my favorite because my most favorite character is shown behind the counter of the place that was left to him in Mr. Hooper's will. ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„


Link


God bless you and Barbra always!!!

Holly (a girl who will forever love the late beautiful precious masterpiece of a gentleman who kept Mr. Hooper's place going)

P.S. My only question is when Mr. Hooper's passing took place in 1982, where was David exactly where his plan of becoming a lawyer was concerned? In other words, how much law school was left for him to complete or was he already finished by then?
_________________
Me & my favorite singer James Otto

Check him out here when you can!
  • Quote
@JoSweetHeart My favorite singer, Lauren Talley, put that one in a medley. Sing / I've Got A Song was on Lauren's second solo album. "Sing" is first in the medley and lasts for about the first minute of the medley.


Link
  • Quote
I personally like this version much better than Chuck Berry's original version.

Nadine - George Benson


Link
  • Quote
Here's Aretha doing B.B. King's "The Thrill Is Gone".


Link
  • Quote
OK, many may disagree with me on this one. This is Michael Bolton's cover of "Dock Of The Bay". I have never understood why so many people make fun of Michael Bolton. No one will ever convince me that he isn't a great vocalist. And I am far from alone on this. The widow of Otis Redding absolutely loved Michael's version of this. "Zelma Redding, Otis's widow, wrote a letter to Michael Bolton saying his cover was her all-time favorite version of her husband's classic. She was so moved by Bolton's performance "that it brought tears to my eyes. It reminded me so much of my husband." Bolton had the letter framed and it hangs on his office wall." https://www.songfacts.com/facts/otis-redding/sittin-on-the-dock-of-the-bay . And if you go down to the comments on this video, you'll see how much others love Michael's singing too. But for whatever reason people make fun of him. I don't get it, but my opinion will never be swayed or changed by them.


Link

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 123  Next
Page 1 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Album covers that look like other alb... Juan Schwartz Music
The Best and Worse Album Covers! silverwing Music
Pictures of album covers If they told... Guest Lounge
Novelty album covers or album packaging bobbyb5 Music
Best covers Guest Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.