Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder

Goto page 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
  • โค๏ธ albummaster
[youtube]
Songs In The Key Of Life (1976) by Stevie Wonder

This has been chosen as an album to explore at the next soul session. We don't usually do albums but next month is an exception.

Will be posting my thoughts over the next month
  • Quote
Amazing double album with some great tracks (but surprised to see this ranked above Innervisions).
_________________
Bluesky ยท Facebook ยท Spotify ยท X
  • Quote
albummaster wrote:
Amazing double album with some great tracks (but surprised to see this ranked above Innervisions).


Or does it qualify as a triple album?

My pressing has the 7โ€ EP.

I actually would place this album above innervsions but only by a smidge
  • Quote
Johnnyo wrote:
Or does it qualify as a triple album?

My pressing has the 7โ€ EP.

I actually would place this album above innervsions but only by a smidge

interesting about the 7" EP. I bought this on double CD, but still quite a few years ago now. It would be interesting to see a tournie featuring double albums to see how high this comes, possibly a dying breed with digital releases blurring the lines.
_________________
Bluesky ยท Facebook ยท Spotify ยท X
  • Quote
albummaster wrote:
Johnnyo wrote:
Or does it qualify as a triple album?

My pressing has the 7โ€ EP.

I actually would place this album above innervsions but only by a smidge


interesting about the 7" EP. I bought this on double CD, but still quite a few years ago now. It would be interesting to see a tournie featuring double albums to see how high this comes, possibly a dying breed with digital releases blurring the lines.


I think that it would be right up there to be honest. I might well start a chart of double / triple albums at some point. Been on my mind for a while

I'll need to get cracking on reviewing the tracks. A lot to get through here
  • Quote
Love's in Need of Love Today

A great, uplifting track to start the album. I like it a lot.

Stevie Wonder said of the track, โ€œThe concept I had in mind was that for love to be effective, it has to be fed. Love by itself is hollow. When I was finished [recording the song], I listened to the playback and realized the song was perfect to open the album], to set the entire tone.โ€

I think thatโ€™s right for me. It definitely sets the tone for a great album, With increasing division and polarisation in the world, for me, the message of this song is as important today as itโ€™s ever been, certainly in my lifetime


Link
  • Quote
Have a Talk with God

The lyrics to this song do not speak to me (I am not religious at all) but if they speak to you, Iโ€™m cool with that. Clearly, they mean a lot to Stevie. Feels like heโ€™s writing from the heart here.

As a piece of music, I really like this track. Funky with a great groove. Itโ€™s actually one of my favourite tracks musically on the album


Link
  • Quote
https://pitchfork.com/story/stevie-wonder-unvaults-four-songs-in-the-key-of-life-tracks/

Don't forget to bring this news to your group ๐Ÿ˜
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:
https://pitchfork.com/story/stevie-wonder-unvaults-four-songs-in-the-key-of-life-tracks/

Don't forget to bring this news to your group :D


Thanks Hayden, that's exactly the sort of thing that I'm looking for. Really appreciate you sharing and i will share with the group
  • Quote
Village Ghetto Land

"Tell me, would you be happy in Village Ghetto Land?"

Full of social commentary, I really like this track a lot and the opening string arrangement is so beautiful. Having said that, there is no orchestra involved. Stevie Wonder using the Yamaha GX-1to create the sound.

Itโ€™s a shame that the themes of urban decay, poverty, institutional neglect, severe struggles like starvation and lack of police protection, are still as relevant as they were 50 years ago. And not just in the US. Thatโ€™s sad.

Itโ€™s a great political song wrapped up in a sugar candy coat


Link

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 12  Next
Page 1 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] Innervisions or Songs In the Key Of L... AAL2014 Music
Album of the day (#356): Songs in the... BestEverAlbums Music
[ Poll ] [THREAD CLOSED] MBV Vs Stevie Wonder Wombi Tournaments
Album of the day (#339): Innervisions... BestEverAlbums Music
[ Poll ] [THREAD CLOSED] Talking Heads Vs Stev... Guest Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.