As is stellar, I'll grant you that. We're only nitpicking here anyway: during the whole of 68-76, Stevie was walking on water. What's the pojnt in choosing one masterpiece over another?
As is stellar, I'll grant you that. We're only nitpicking here anyway: during the whole of 68-76, Stevie was walking on water. What's the pojnt in choosing one masterpiece over another?
Oh I realize. Just nitpicking because I rate these records so evenly that just for my own sanity, I wanted different views. I've only had the debate with myself up to this point ๐
Not to mention the two records have always been very close on the overall chart here. _________________ Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed control.
neilgeeThe longer i'm retired the better i use2 playProfile Manchester
Innervisions because it has more spontaneity to it, for me Songs always bordered on the edge of over-production, like they tried too hard to make the perfect record and lost something in too many mixes, though there are some classics on there I do think about half the tracks on the Songs album have been overmixed to some degree or other.
This is a very tough call. Both are great. I rate them very close to each other and I go back and forth from one listen to the next. Songs in the Key of Life, I suppose...
Songs in the Key of Life is wonderful. When an artist has this much to say, let him say it! Stop with the "less is more" stuff. Every once in awhile, an artist truly has a double album's worth of quality inside him that needs to be released at once. The Rolling Stones' Exile of Main Street, Prince's 1999, George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, and Dylan's Blonde on Blonde are a few more examples where the double album format wasn't just necessary, it's essential.
Would "Lawrence of Arabia," "Ben-Hur," or "Gone With the Wind" work as well if edited down to 120 minutes? Nope.
And yet, "Leonard Part 6" so perfectly clocks in at 125 minutes and, more recently, "Gigli" at 121 minutes. I dare you to sit through either. _________________ Speakers of the House DJ
Songs in the Key of Life is wonderful. When an artist has this much to say, let him say it! Stop with the "less is more" stuff. Every once in awhile, an artist truly has a double album's worth of quality inside him that needs to be released at once. The Rolling Stones' Exile of Main Street, Prince's 1999, George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, and Dylan's Blonde on Blonde are a few more examples where the double album format wasn't just necessary, it's essential.
Would "Lawrence of Arabia," "Ben-Hur," or "Gone With the Wind" work as well if edited down to 120 minutes? Nope.
And yet, "Leonard Part 6" so perfectly clocks in at 125 minutes and, more recently, "Gigli" at 121 minutes. I dare you to sit through either.
Completely agree. Stevie had to say what he had to say. That album was not only about "Life" but it was His life and I think whether it's your favorite of his or not, it's the culmination of what he wanted to do starting with Music Of My Mind and Where I'm Coming From. All of the songs on Songs in the Key of Life work well together and there aren't two that are alike. Personally Side 3 (or the beginning of disc 2) is the least interesting part of the album for me, but it's still fascinating to see Isn't She Lovely, about his daughter being born, and Black Man, a history class in a song, be a part of the same album side. I wouldn't cut anything from the actual album itself.
It is certainly one of the top 10 if not 5 double albums of all time. _________________ Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed control.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum