I've started an indie folk band because I love playing acoustic guitar, it's in, it's interesting live but I need to listen to more folky stuff for it to rub on off me. We're aiming to play dancey stuff with a bit of punk and pop thrown in. I like lumineers and fleet foxes but not of monsters and men and mumford and sons..
what else could I listen to?
Here are some recommendations, I've assumed a somewhat wider definition though: Greetings from Michigan and Illinois by Sufjan Stevens, Anything by Iron & Wine (esp. The Creek Drank The Cradle or The Shepherd's Dog), Anything by Joanna Newsom, When You Left the Fire by The Wilderness of Manitoba, Shallow Bed by Dry the River, Sea Change by Beck, The King Is Dead by The Decemberists, Yellow House by Grizzly Bear, Chinatown by The Be Good Tanyas, (A)spera by Mirah, Armchair Apocrypha by Andrew Bird, Diamond Mine by King Creosote & Jon Hopkins, Rhine Gold by Choir of Young Believers, Halfway Home by Angel Olsen, Thereโs No Leaving Now by The Tallest Man On Earth, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning by Bright Eyes, The Lion's Roar by First Aid Kit.
Robert Plant's Band of Joy. If you like folk, you'll like this, especially the first track: Angel Dance.
'Indie folk' ๐
Anyway. If you want some nifty stuff, I certainly second purple's choices. But check these out too:
Smog - The Doctor Came At Dawn (bit darker)
Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas (a must)
Any Neutral Milk Hotel obviously.
Xiu Xiu - A Promise (bit more avant-garde)
Destroyer - City Of Daughters
King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Diamond Mine
Wrens - Meadowlands
Palace Music - Viva La Blues
Grizzly Bear - Horn Of Plenty
Lofty Pillars - Amsterdam
Josh Ritter - The Animal Years
Frog Eyes - Golden River
Any Andrew Jackson Jihad
Yeah ๐ Good luck with the band though! _________________ Doubles & Conch
Great suggestions so far.
For Bright Eyes, both Fevers and Mirrors and I'm Wide Awake it's morning are brilliant
For Fleet Foxes check out Helplessness Blues
For Iron & Wine try Our Endless Numbered Days and The Shepherd's Dog
For Sufjan Stevens you may want to try Michigan and 7 Swans rather than Illinois, as Illinois is way more than just pure indie folk
Joanna Newsom check out Ys and Have one on Me
For Mirah check out Advisory Committee and C'mon Miracle
I saw Andrew Bird Mentioned, and while I wouldn't really lob him in the category of indie folk, it's worth checking out The Mysterious Production of eggs and Armchair Apocrypha.
The Decemberists are essential, though they do get a little proggy on the Hazards of Love and The Crane Wife, you should still listen to Crane Wife, along with Her Majesty, Castaways and Cutouts, and Picaresque
There are a few more essential ones, but most importantly, on a thread like this, how can one fail to mention Elliott Smith? Check out Either/Or, XO, Elliott Smith, Figure 8, From a Basement on the Hill,... you know what screw it just listen to his whole discography. It's worth it
For Iron & Wine try Our Endless Numbered Days and The Shepherd's Dog
This guy knows his shit. The Shepherd's Dog sounds like the best bet for what you're looking for.
Although my favorite Iron And Wine record is The Creek Drank The Cradle. I think it may be a bit too quiet for what you're looking for though. Still worth a listen, it's unreal.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum