Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2016 07:01
  • Post subject: SLP #4: The Taplist

Spotify Playlist Link

Tracklist:
Terry Riley - G Song
Bérangère Maximin - Knitting In The Air (feat. Fennesz)
Joe McPhee Po Music - Oleo (Take 1)
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - When I Try, I'm Full
Leafcutter John - Khom?s
Nettle - As Nettle As I Wannabe (Donna Summer Remix)
Oval - Untitled [Ovalcommers Track 1]
The New Sound Of Numbers - Luminous September
The Other People Place - You Said You Want Me
Black To Comm - Hands

Please note that "Donna Summer" is actually Jason Forrest, who was just straight up using that name until he got a cease and desist letter.

I've been playing around with this playlist since I signed up to do it. It took a lot of tinkering, but I think I've got a good one for you all here. Let me know what you think.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 04/10/2016 22:09
  • Post subject:
That Leafcutter John track is so friggin great wowow. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith is always welcome. Bérangère Maximin was real cool, kinda Jenny-Hval-ish. I'm liking the recurring pitch-shifted vocals throughout the playlist. All sorts of lovely recurring elements tying this together. Some of these are probably going to be growers, going to give a couple more listens. Leafcutter John is far and away my favourite discovery here though.
  • Visit poster's website
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 04/11/2016 13:24
  • Post subject:
Three listens so far. I only knew Joe McPhee track before (thanks to your recommendation, btw), and no wonder I dig it, since free/improvised jazz makes up considerable amount of my listening these days.

Luminous September attracted my attention immediately, sort of reminds me of Stereolab, and I always have a soft spot for this sort of trance flow, with underlying garage-rock rhythm pattern.

I also enjoy Khom?s by Leafcutter John, I like its simple and harmonius structure coated with all the broken loops.

And my favourite transition (something that interest my immensely in all your playlists, guys) is Luminous September to You Said You Want Me which maintains the persistence of the former, but smoothly changes the mood into more laid-back and chilled.
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2016 21:49
  • Post subject:
Oh hey guys thanks for checking it out! Glad to see Leafcutter John get some love, that track has been a staple of mine for mixes for a while now. Would definitely recommend checking out the album that's from, The Housebound Spirit, as well as his 2015 comeback Resurrection.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 04/15/2016 20:48
  • Post subject:
Shame there's not more discussion of this... Tap is what I consider one of the few bottomless pits of recs (for me, at least) on here.

Unfortunately am busy but am excited to listen to it and give my thoughts on Monday or Tuesday. I'm very familiar with the Riley and Oval tracks, so I'm really looking forward to everything you put between and beyond.
undefined

• Posted: 04/15/2016 21:08
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Shame there's not more discussion of this... Tap is what I consider one of the few bottomless pits of recs (for me, at least) on here.

Unfortunately am busy but am excited to listen to it and give my thoughts on Monday or Tuesday. I'm very familiar with the Riley and Oval tracks, so I'm really looking forward to everything you put between and beyond.

Yeah this exactly (also familiar with the Joe McPhee). Will be listening soon and am super excited. Could probably live on nothing but Tap recs for idk how long...
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 04/16/2016 19:10
  • Post subject:
Fourth listen and oh, the opener has really grown on me. The Kronos Quartet level of intensity is always unparalleled. Love them. I need to check out the whole album, as well as other works by Terry Riley.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 04/26/2016 15:29
  • Post subject:
Very solid set of tracks here. I was familiar with the Oval and Riley tracks before listening, and coming out of it the Oval track is my favorite here on this listen (biased tho because Oval is one of my favorite musicians of all times). The Leafcutter John track reminded me of this album from this year, due to the synth/folk blend; I like the banjo sound on Tuttle better, but John's synths are more pleasing to me. Looked up some of what John does on wikipedia/allmusic and he's probably going to be what I really take away from this playlist; will definitely be looking into more of his stuff. Been meaning to listen to the new Kaitlin Aurelia Smith, and this track reinforced that notion, but I just looked at the Austin Psych Fest schedule and it looks like I'll be able to catch some of her set this Friday; excited to see her, and will give her album a listen if I enjoy the performance. Need to check out some more DJ/Rupture too; heard tracks here and there but just never sat down to dig around in his stuff. The Joe McPhee was alright; I recognize that album cover being thrown around and will probably give it a listen at some point, though I was not particularly thrilled by the playing on that track. My only complaint is that though the tracks clustered together thematically, most tracks seemed not to flow very well from one to another. Anyways, great mix. Thanks, Tap!
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 04/26/2016 16:17
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Been meaning to listen to the new Kaitlin Aurelia Smith, and this track reinforced that notion, but I just looked at the Austin Psych Fest schedule and it looks like I'll be able to catch some of her set this Friday; excited to see her, and will give her album a listen if I enjoy the performance.

I think you should give it a try regardless of the set, gets better with every listen. Very colourful and oddly beautiful.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2016 22:26
  • Post subject:
OK this was a really cool weird list as expected but damn Knitting in the Air was just a bit too much for me. I was really enjoying the intro until the voice came in and the more I think about it the more I'm honestly just not sure if I enjoy it or not at all. Outside of that, a confusingly wonderful blur, that Donna Summer track was probably my favorite. Also didn't really enjoy G Song the first time but it's grown on me.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website