ALC16 #3: Blood by Paint

View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined

• Posted: 02/22/2016 09:07
  • Post subject: ALC16 #3: Blood by Paint

Blood by Paint

Taken from the trusty 'ol 2016 chart:

dividesbyzero wrote:
Paint, a collaborative project from US based producers Tsuruda and Huxley Anne, exists primarily in the deepest regions of the realm of undiscovered potential dopeness that is soundcloud obscurity, and really given the recent rise in certain circles of relentlessly futuristic yet immediately accessible and "right-to-the-point" beat based electronics informed by myriad contemporary trends in electronic production including (but not at all limited to) industrial, grime, trap, UK bass, future house, and warped techno from hell, it's honestly quite surprising that the ever-growing sub-section of internet music society known for its insatiable hunger for and relentless consumption of all such soundcloud and bandcamp DJ mixes exhibiting the above traits (as well as a certain level of punk's "no fucks given" attitude) isn't all over this shit.

Christ that was one hell of a run-on.

Gowi always did say I was the king of run-on sentences.

Anyway, this shit is crazy. Mind-crushingly immediate yet intermittently delving into atmospheric introspection such that each track of this relatively short ep seem to function by the nature of their own immaculately organic ebb & flow that forwards listener immersion whilst also furthering a buildup of a certain kind of tension leading up to each new unexpected (and almost always exciting) iteration of some form of heavy distortion (and eventually total annihilation) of the relative serenity of these moments of atmosphere; this ever-oscillating contrast between lush and crushing pervades most all of these 6 tracks (+ 1 bonus track featuring ridiculously distorted Danny Brown samples) maintaining sonic flow and cohesion within the context of each individual track as well as that relative to the EP as whole listening experience. All of this expert craftsmanship considered, and of course with respect to Paint's fantastic ear for the free-form placing of beats reminiscent of everything from Rabit's modern take on some kind of industrial onslaught to Logos' subtlety pervasive brand of instrumental grime, there's a certain kind of pleasing lack of professionalism and polish to the whole affair, and whether or not these edges have been left rough by choice, the aesthetic works wonders to further the EP's sense of organicness (is that a word?), ultimately culminating in a final product that, despite its ostensible mechanical artificiality, feels remarkably human in the best way. Absolutely stellar release.

listen on soundcloud here!

^ and one thing I'd like to add to that, Skinny made an observation in his ULL that there are a lot of parallels to be drawn between this EP and last year's Future Brown release, and I think we both came to the same conclusion that this is ultimately a more enjoyable experience due to the pure brash humanity that went into its production, the lack of "hyper-detached demeanour and workmanlike precision" as Neil put it. Basically I'd recommend this one to fans of Future Brown, but even more-so for those who love the idea of Future Brown but were left cold by the music itself. Blood is anything but cold.

---

and of course tl;dr LISTEN HERE

Last edited by undefined on 02/23/2016 08:29; edited 1 time in total
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2016 14:51
  • Post subject:
This is pretty great. I definitely agree with you on the sense of immediacy but simultaneously atmospheric, it's a fantastic balance. You've got this sort of aggressive beat-based sound with little delves into the ethereal. They actually work really well as a breather, the album isn't constantly attacking you over and over again, it's frenetic and then it stops, as if it were running and running and then jumped off a cliff. Works really well, I like it.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 02/22/2016 18:25
  • Post subject:
I like some of the bits here, particularly the openers of the first couple tracks and "Poppy," where they're utilizing nice frenetic beats to start up a cool song and stuff. But then there's these mindless detours into modern EDM cliches of warped voices blabbing into a drop that then morphs into that terrible new downtempo sound where it's like loungey? if that's how I can describe it? Idk, that stuff that would get called "electronica" in most circles. That chillout shit. I think there's plenty here that borrows from some more interesting branches of dance music, but the overall sheen comes off to me as repurposing stray bits of wonky or grime or trap into larger compositions that follow too many cliches for comfort. The best example of an absolute sin against good taste would be the closer of "Zatoichi" with its '90s soft jazz trip hop whatever the fuck sound that's just completely garish.

Ultimately, it's those regressive tendencies that make it come off as very amateurish and unappealing. I would never in a million years compare this to Future Brown's latest. Take it or leave it, that album wasn't ever sounding like a YouTube freestyle beat like this does on "Mr. Pill." There wasn't a straight up snoozer like "Hoisin" within miles. The grime influences ran deeper and their sound was always living up to their name even when their experiments failed. The latter half of this completely collapsed into nu-jazz downtempo wankery that fills up a lot of corners of Soundcloud before detouring back to standard EDM fare. Not feeling this at all. That bonus track is alright, though.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2016 18:35
  • Post subject:
listened to it once, but mentally checked out at some point due to work and pets. Will give it another go later on. Wasn't feeling it, but it's also not the type of thing I usually enjoy all that much.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/22/2016 18:55
  • Post subject:
Next thing I listen to, that's a promise.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 02/22/2016 20:05
  • Post subject:
nu-jazz downtempo wankery is in my like top 8 musical cliches
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/22/2016 20:11
  • Post subject:
I'll be honest and say I was only half-convinced. Whenever the pace keeps up, I'm quite enthralled, otherwise I might pay attention to something else altogether. The flu doesn't help, certianly, and a relisten is due if I want to be fair to the record, but as it is I'm skeptical. Not that I hear the jazzy downtempo Satie does, but I do get his take on 'modern IDM' and how he sees it as 'regressive' (not a problem by my standards anyway, as I'm all for clever rehash, just sayin' I see his point).
  • Visit poster's website
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 04/26/2016 09:23
  • Post subject:
I finally checked it out, as I hope to do with all my ALC backlog this week. I found it compelling, if a bit messy at first. Certain fragments of this album (like Zatoichi made me think it would be a good background for some weird hip hop and then bang ! You get the bonus track which does involve some some spoken word.