ALC 2016 #15: Side Pony by Lake Street Dive

View previous topic :: View next topic
samistake2ice
General Grievous Angel

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2016 23:12
  • Post subject: ALC 2016 #15: Side Pony by Lake Street Dive
Hey sorry im late... again.

2016 has been a bit of a let down for me. I love Sturgills album but there havent been a bunch of albums that have got me excited about music.

One, however, I do keep going back to; primarily for the the lead singers sexy deep voice and there is some awesome bass playing.

Side Pony by Lake Street Dive

my favorite tracks are Call Off Your Dogs and Spectacular Failure.

let me know what you think.

Check out my new review/pop-culture site MAD DISTRACTION
  • Visit poster's website
jwammo12

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2016 19:01
  • Post subject:
Finally got to listen to this straight through. Hard to argue with that voice!

I enjoyed the album. 'Mistakes' was by far my favorite track. I kinda wish the album was mixed differently. I came away thinking that they have all the ingredients to rejuvenate a classic sound. Not sure it's all there yet tho.

I'll have to keep this band on my watch list. This feels like the album before their breakout album.

Thanks for the share!
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2016 15:20
  • Post subject:
Finally got around to this.

I thought this was alright, relatively standard kind of southern soul/rock music, could've easily been a Grace Potter & The Nocturnals album and I don't think it'd sound any different. The vocals are great, lyrics leave a little bit to be desired (is there really a song dedicated to her ponytail?), but it's a fine album. Didn't blow me away, but there are a few songs that are catchy and enjoyable enough ("Mistakes" for example) that it was fairly interesting.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2016 19:31
  • Post subject:
I really want to like this band and this album. Rachel Price has one of the best voices I've heard in a long time. That video that made the rounds last year of her doing "What I'm Doing Here" in one take was in constant rotation at my house for a while. But their stuff is really hit or miss for me.

I have heard this band described as "eclectic" and they clearly draw influence from many styles. It must be the music school kid in them, but they are all over the place. And while that certainly showcases their musical skill, I wish they would just pick something and run with it. This album is the closest they've gotten to a coherent style, but even it strays a bit.

I also noticed, looking at the credits, that my favorite songs are all Bridget Kearney compositions. I happen to think she's the only other members who comes close to keeping up with Price. I wish they'd let her do more of the writing, because she clearly has the best ear for songwriting.

Edit: Just to be clear, I do like this album. It's in my top 20 at the moment and I expect to return to it more as grilling season picks up. Seems like it'll be a good album for parties.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 05/31/2016 19:35
  • Post subject:
Yeah this was a letdown, since their last album did have some promise. But this just feels like they're playing dress-up with a lot of old musical styles, not really making it their own. Yeah the girl can sing (although she gets less chance to really showcase her voice here than in some other releases), and really it's a pleasent listen, nothing really wrong with it per se, just nothing particularly memorable. Well-done wallpaper music at this point.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/08/2016 19:59
  • Post subject:
jwammo12 wrote:
I came away thinking that they have all the ingredients to rejuvenate a classic sound. !

They do. It’s just not on this record— 2014’s Bad Self Portraits was not only more cohesive, but it’s highs were much higher than whatever they are doing on this follow up. How dull, plodding, and unimaginative Lake Street Dive are on this record is really disheartening and frustrating since I still enjoy the preceding album. In fact, I listened to Bad Self Portraits immediately after this piece to wash my ears of this generic mess. I’m sure they had earnest intentions here, and I don’t mean to discredit them on this release but little works here and their songwriting is completely unfocused. There is maybe three or four songs worth hearing on Side Pony at best.

What a let down.
  • Visit poster's website