Ten Tracks To Define A Decade

Goto page Previous  123
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
benpaco wrote:
Train...Matchbox 20


These two set a horrible example, but you're probably right about Train. I think MB Twenty's time had already passed though. Neither Bent or Unwell hit the peak their 90s stuff did.

But after thinking about it, all the responses here are mostly what we considered to be positive influences, but there was an awful lot of shit that defined the early 2000s too.

Puddle of Mudd - She Hates Me
Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Hoobastank - The Reason
Creed - With Arms Wide Open (on CD in 1999, released as a single in 2000)
Fucking all of Nelly
etc....

(Actually I would love a separate topic where we try to name to most popular bad songs from each decade.)
  • Quote
The 80s, off the top of my head

Michael Jackson, "Billie Jean"
Prince, "When Doves Cry"
Madonna, "Like a Virgin"
The Cure, "Close to Me"
The Smiths, "Bigmouth Strikes Again"
Les Rita Mitsouko, "C'est comme รงa"
De La Soul, "Eye Know"
Pixies, "Debaser"
The Fall, "C.R.E.E.P."
Eric B & Rakim, "Paid in Full"

Pretty much what I was into way back when.
  • Quote
ButterThumbz wrote:

Blue Monday - New Order


Yeah, should have made my cut...
  • Quote
Ten tracks to define the 1990s. I post two lists. The first list has songs which make me think of the 1990s immediately when I hear these songs. I have some nostalgic connection to them, partly because I started to listen to pop music from the middle/end of the decade. I like these songs but they are not favourite, they rather subjectively define the 1990s for me.

Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Gloria Estefan - Reach
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
2Pac - Changes
Blur - Song 2
The Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight Tonight
Madonna - Ray of Light
Eminem - My Name Is
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue

The second has nothing to do with nostalgia or my experiences from the 1990, because I got into these bands, albums and songs much later, in the 2000s and in the past few years. I love these bands, songs and genres so this is my definitive 1990s list:

Primal Scream - Come Together
Pearl Jam - Even Flow
The Charlatans - Only One I Know
Ride - Vapour Trail
My Bloody Valentine - Come In Alone
Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic
R.E.M. - Nightswimming
U2 - Mysterious Ways
Radiohead - Black Star
Blur - Tender
  • Quote
2000s is what I'm going for.

Digital Love - Daft Punk
Jesus Etc. - Wilco
The Strokes - Take it or Leave it
Where The Damage is Done - The Radio Dept.
The Dog Days Are Over - Florence + The Machine
Eple - Royksopp
Hoppipolla - Sigur Ros
The View From the Afternoon - Arctic Monkeys
Almost Crimes - Broken Social Scene
Do You Realize?? - The Flaming Lips
_________________
  • Quote
The 1990s:

Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy
Blur - Girls & Boys
Oasis - Live Forever
Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight Tonight
The Prodigy - Firestarter
Radiohead - Paranoid Android
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
_________________
"De gustibus non disputandum est"
  • Quote
SquishypuffDave wrote:
So are we basically listing songs from each decade that everyone heard and knows about? And that weren't necessarily any good at all?


Well, you could do that or you could do something a little more interesting. Why not enlighten us? Show us the error of our ways.
  • Quote
SquishypuffDave wrote:
So are we basically listing songs from each decade that everyone heard and knows about? And that weren't necessarily any good at all?


is there literally any other way these "CANONIZE THIS" threads go?
  • Quote
1991: Alan Jackson-"Don't Rock The Jukebox"
1992: Brooks & Dunn-"Boot Scootin' Boogie"
1993: Alan Jackson-"Chattahoochee"
1994: Tim McGraw-"Indian Outlaw"
1995: Shania Twain-"Any Man Of Mine"
1996: LeAnn Rimes-"Blue"
1997: LeAnn Rimes-"How Do I Live"
1998: Faith Hill-"This Kiss"
1999: Lonestar-"Amazed"
2000: Lee Ann Womack-"I Hope You Dance"

God bless you and these wonderful singers always!!! ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„

Holly (a day one fan of LeAnn)
_________________
Me & my favorite singer James Otto

Check him out here when you can!
  • Quote
ButterThumbz wrote:
Well, you could do that or you could do something a little more interesting. Why not enlighten us? Show us the error of our ways.


I guess when I think about songs that define my memory of the (late) 90s, this is the sort of thing that comes to mind:


Link



Link



Link



Link


All very noticeably dated. I don't think any of those could have been made nowadays.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123
Page 3 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Top Ten Side Tracks? (B-Tracks) Guest Music
Songs That Define an Album's Greatness meccalecca Music
Define Arena Rock RoundTheBend Music
CSV Files for Top Rated Tracks, Album... jqmusiclove Suggestions
List of top tracks - Exclude tracks f... hoomantc Suggestions

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.