CLOSED Let's Rank 19: Belle & Sebastian

Goto page Previous  12345  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Not heard these in ages but here goes...

If You're Feeling Sinister
Tigermilk
The Boy With The Arab Strap
Push Barman
Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Fold Your Hands Child
Storytelling
The Life Pursuit
  • Quote
Finally another lets rank I actually care about kinda.

I've only heard maybe half but I rank em

1. If You're Feeling Sinister
2. Tigermilk
3. Dear Catastrophe Waitress
4. Push Barman To Open Old Wounds
5. Boy With The Arab Strap
6. Write About Love


Songs:
1. If You're Feeling Sinister
2. Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying
3. Sleep The Clock Around
4. Expectations
5. Piazza, New York Catcher (fucking Juno soundtrack, you gem)


Belle and Sebastian are just about the greatest ever. And they received our prestigious Lifetime Acheivement Award earlier this year, so that says it all.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!


Last edited by Mercury on 09/21/2014 15:46; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
If You're Feeling Sinister is the most popular one and I think it was a good album from what I remember. Not sure on the songs though
  • Quote
meccalecca wrote:
I don't really see a point in ranking both Lazy Line Painter and Push Barman, since one essentially contains the other with additional tracks. In fact, not sure why people would place Lazy Line Painter over Push Barman. Push Barman gives you a bunch of solid additional tracks on top of everything contained in the other.


Haha! So Practical! Stop talking sense. ๐Ÿคฃ
  • Quote
1. If You're Feeling Sinister
2. The Boy With the Arab Strap

3. Lazy Line Painter Jane (boxset)
4. Tigermilk
5. Push Barman To Open Old Wounds

6. Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant
7. Dear Catastrophe Waitress
8. The Life Pursuit

9. Storytelling
10. Write About Love
_________________
Finnegan was super bad-ass.
  • Quote
Cuba, does this have anything to do with the Scottish independent referendum. If so, well played. ๐Ÿ˜œ

Anyway, I probably won't get all of their discography down, but I'll damn try.
_________________
  • Quote
I made a top 5 on this site about them, among others.
It goes like this, studio albums only:
1. If you're feeling sinister
2. The boy with the Arab strap
3. The life pursuit
4. Fold your hands...
5. Storytelling

Then,
6. Tiger milk
7. ... write about love
8. Dear catastrophe waitress
  • Quote
1 - If You're Feeling Sinister by Belle & Sebastian
2 - Tigermilk by Belle & Sebastian
3 - The Boy With The Arab Strap by Belle & Sebastian

1 - The State I am In
2 - If You're Feeling Sinister
3 - Sleep The Clock Around
4 - She's Losing It
5 - Is It Wicked Not To Care?
  • Quote
B&S finally <3

1. Tigermilk
2. If You're Feeling Sinister
3. Push Barman to Open Old Wounds
4.The Boy With the Arab Strap
5. Dear Catastrophe Waitress
6. The Life Pursuit
7. Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant
8. Write About Love
9. The Third Eye Centre
10. Storytelling

It's impossible to choose my favourite songs but I should try...

1. If You're Feeling Sinister
2. The State I Am In
3. Expectation
4. The Loneliness of a Middle Distance Runner
5. Sleep the Clock Around
_________________
If you're feeling sinister, Go off and Listen to Indie Pop
  • Quote
meccalecca wrote:
I don't really see a point in ranking both Lazy Line Painter and Push Barman, since one essentially contains the other with additional tracks. In fact, not sure why people would place Lazy Line Painter over Push Barman. Push Barman gives you a bunch of solid additional tracks on top of everything contained in the other.


I understand what you're saying, but don't you prefer albums which are full of songs you adore to albums which contain a few tracks you really don't like very much? By your logic, everybody with any of the first four Pavement albums on their chart should replace them with the two-disc reissues, since they give you a bunch of solid additional tracks on top of everything contained in the original albums.

Not to mention the fact that Lazy Line Painter Jane plays like an actual album, with those 1997 EPs all having an extremely similar sound, similar themes, and even recurring characters (the same Sebastian who "wrote in his diary that he would never be young again", in the song 'Belle & Sebastian', finally has "a story worth talking about" on album closer 'Put the Book Back on the Shelf'). That cohesion and unity is torn apart by the inclusion of the singles released in 2000-2001, which have a completely different vibe to them and feel totally out of place.

But yes, I'm not sure why anybody would place Lazy Line Painter Jane over Push Barman either.

Anyway, my ranking:

1. Lazy Line Painter Jane
2. If You're Feeling Sinister

3. Tigermilk
4. Dear Catastrophe Waitress

-----> Push Barman

5. Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant
6. The Boy with the Arab Strap

7. The Life Pursuit
8. The Third Eye Centre
9. Write About Love

10. Storytelling

Songs:

1. If She Wants Me (from Dear Catastrophe Waitress)
2. Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying (from If You're Feeling Sinister)
3. Lazy Line Painter Jane (from Lazy Line Painter Jane)
4. Photo Jenny (from Lazy Line Painter Jane)
5. She's Losing It (from Tigermilk)
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12345  Next
Page 3 of 5


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] [THREAD CLOSED] Belle & Sebastian... Polythene Pam Tournaments
[ Poll ] [THREAD CLOSED] Muse Vs Belle & S... Guest Tournaments
[ Poll ] CLOSED- 2000s BST Rd2: Belle & Se... cestuneblague Tournaments
[ Poll ] [THREAD CLOSED] Belle & Sebastian... Wombi Tournaments
[ Poll ] [THREAD CLOSED] Blur Vs Belle & S... Guest Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.