Recommendations Thread

Goto page Previous  123 ... 949596 ... 101102103  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Tap wrote:

Oh hey I thought about saying this but I don't know the genre well enough to toss out recommendations, but I'll definitely second it. The follow up to this, Cough, is really cool too, there's like a klezmer element to it.


Of course you'd know the really awesome, experimental, forgotten stuff. Why am I even surprised at this point? XD Do you know No Trend? You might really enjoy them:


Link


MrFrogger wrote:
Deja Entendu, which isn't really what i'm looking for, but I'll check those others out.

And it's not that I don't like La Dispute, it's just that i'm not really looking for that story driven Emo Post-hardcore, I'm looking for the more fast paced aggressive stuff like the 2 bands I mentioned.


Given all of that, skip Funeral for a Friend and Bayside, there's a decent to good shot you'll like the rest, especially Alexisonfire, City of Caterpillar, and Black Eyes. If we're allowing a slightly broader definition (screamo, emo) here within the "fast paced aggressive" stuff you can add on


To The Beat Of A Dead Horse by Touchรฉ Amorรฉ


Old Pride by Pianos Become The Teeth

(can't recall if you knew just their new stuff or if that's another friend)


Document #8 by Pageninetynine
_________________


. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

"While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to Earth" - Frightened Rabbit
  • Quote
BurningBright wrote:
Looking for punk recommendations. It's a genre I've been completely lacking. (In other words, I have hardly any punk listens, so hit me up with your favorites)

Care to be more specific? New? Old? Anything?

You might want to check out this chart of mine, which is in dire need of an update, but if you've heard basically nothing than it's a good starting point.
  • Quote
BurningBright wrote:
Looking for punk recommendations. It's a genre I've been completely lacking. (In other words, I have hardly any punk listens, so hit me up with your favorites)



Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing by Discharge


Wrong by NoMeansNo


The Shape Of Punk To Come by Refused


Lyburnum Wit's End Liberation Fly by Moss Icon


Chaos Is Me by Orchid


Eros/Anteros by Oathbreaker


ใ‚ใ‚‰ใŸใ‚ใพใ—ใฆใ€ใฏใ˜ใ‚ใพใ—...ช [Midori]


Warning Device by Teenage Bottlerocket


My Brain Hurts by Screeching Weasel


Three Sides Dead by Funeral Diner


The Moon Is A Dead World by Gospel


Living In Darkness by Agent Orange


The Empire Strikes First by Bad Religion


My War by Black Flag


Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables by Dead Kennedys


Rocket To Russia by Ramones


Food For Thought by Gray Matter


(GI) by The Germs


All The Footprints You've Ever Left And The Fear Expecting Ahead by Envy


Energy by Operation Ivy
  • Quote
I love a few French hard rock/ metal bands like Manigance, Heavenly, Gojira etc, Anyone know of any that they particularly enjoy?
My fave French band though, is Outrage (crazy ska/ hard rock)- the albums 'Irrecuperable' or 'Court-Circuit' are especially awesome!
  • Quote
so I'm sick and just gonna be reading for awhile. Anyone have any very long (preferably dark) ambient albums to recommend me? Mostly just listening to Selected Ambient Works Vol II and M.J. Harris/Martyn Bates' Murder Ballads trilogy atm (thanks Norm)
  • Quote
benpaco wrote:
Do you know No Trend?


Oh hey I'd missed this earlier, I was unfamiliar but that has my interest, I'll peep that album soon.
  • Quote
Anyone have any great free or fusion jazz from this year that isn't from Exploding Star Orchestra, Matana Roberts, or William Parker (No Kamasi)?
  • Quote
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Anyone have any great free or fusion jazz from this year that isn't from Exploding Star Orchestra, Matana Roberts, or William Parker (No Kamasi)?


I've really been enjoying Food's latest recently - they're a sax/percussion duo who do a lot of groove-based, improvised jazz, with added electronics and atmospheric guitar flourishes from Christian Fennesz. Also, Mette Henriette's album is fantastic, but it's not strictly a jazz album by any means - periods of the second half definitely evoke late '50s/early '60s Ornette and early '70s Archie Shepp, but much of the record (including its entire first half) is much quieter and actually resembles a freer Satie or a more slapdash Messiaen. Thundercat's latest mini-album is excellent, but as with his previous releases it's definitely more along the lines of George Duke's R'n'B/ambient jazz fusion. Myra Melford's Snowy Egret is knotty, angular and groovy, but is certainly far more traditional than the Mazurek and Roberts albums you mentioned (haven't heard the William Parker, which I'll check out ASAP). I really enjoyed Mike Majkowski's Neighbouring Objects, which is better summed up by his own website than by anything I can say:

Quote:
mike is currently exploring the spectral qualities of double bass resonance, examining deliberate frequencies and circumstantial resonance. his music also explores the relationship between physicality and sonority, with the aim of creating a sense of stillness.


Definitely not what I'd describe as "jazz", but he comes from a jazz background, and this isn't a million miles away from certain segments of the Matana Roberts record.

Anyway, hope that helps.

EDIT: By the way, which William Parker album were you referring to?
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
Skinny wrote:
By the way, which William Parker album were you referring to?


There's Great Spirit; don't listen to that. To Roy is good, and For Those Who Are, Still is great.

Thanks for the recs; I'll be getting on those this afternoon. Wouldn't consider Thundercat's albums as jazz, as much as his live performances are.
  • Quote
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
There's Great Spirit; don't listen to that. To Roy is good, and For Those Who Are, Still is great.


Thanks. Also, I forgot Joshua Abrams' Magnetoception.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 949596 ... 101102103  Next
Page 95 of 103


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: The Tournaments Forum Suggestions Thread Guest Tournaments
New Recommendations Thread RockyRaccoon Music
Recommendations Thread 2.0 KitchenSink Music
Recommendations sticky? DarkSideOfTheComputer Suggestions
Finished My First Top 100 List/Recomm... DJENNY Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.