Music allows me to explore the many associations that have been made over the years of my life. While some of them may carry a certain logic, many more are without justification or explanation, and will forever remain so.
HazeyTwilightboyfriend in your wet dreamsProfile Elmo Knows Where You Live
I have a page on listology.com that covers my criteria pretty extensively and if/when the site gets up and running again, I'll reproduce it on BEA. The gist could be summed up pretty well as follows:
Accumulation of the consistency and degree of ingenuity, emotional and conceptual depth across the time frame (as in music, film) or space (as in visual art) of the work of art.
ALL of my choices have the above as their common denominator. The higher the ranking/rating, the more extraordinarily/astonishingly it will be seen to be followed. _________________ Best Classical Best Films Best Paintings
mickilennialThe Most Trusted Name in NewsProfile Detroit
Why do I like the music I like? Because I rarely like the music I don't like, so if I like something since the leak, my brain will take that as a likeable piece of music that I like, that I really do like, while not liking things I don't like since the live show. But liking something that doesn't sound like the things I like, are things I likely don't like liking like liking park. Also part of me is deeply affected by things other people like, so I like things that like...other people also like, like lykke li(ke). I like music that are made for me to like, because liking in the end is not like liking other's people like. Vote for ike. _________________ Top 100 Hits you must hear before the universe implodes of beauty
I've always thought lyrics mattered, but maybe I'm a bit like you, Seth. Great lyrics do elevate a piece, and I can't stand bad lyrics, but I can enjoy music without paying attention to the lyrics. I love Joanna Newsom, even though I've barely scratched the surface of her lyrics, and I can like a hip - hop album on the production alone. I suppose the music is generally the first thing I notice and fall in love with and then if there's great lyrics it increases my enjoyment.
I was thinking about what a requirement is for me to like an album, and the only criteria was: Transportation. It needs to take me some place when I close my eyes. The better it is able to do this, the more I like it. And it has to make me feel something as well. Music is where I go for emotional comfort. It can make me feel better when I'm sad or be cathartic when I'm angry.
I tend to like melancholy, so Radiohead paradoxically is uplifting to me. A great melody will hook me instantly, but it's not a pre-requisite. I've taught myself to appreciate more avant-garde music by removing it from the idea of traditional music. It's purpose isn't to provide melody, it's to create an atmosphere, often very dark. By thinking about the intended purpose of a piece of music, I find I can enjoy just about anything that's actually had care and thought put into it, to varying degrees of course. This is how David Bowie listened to music, and it allowed him to draw from a wide range of influences.
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
Because they listen to it for more than one minute a song. O:)
I think you've misinterpreted something I said in the past. Thanks for adding to the conversation though.
I've listen to these albums in their entirety and really just haven't gotten into them. It's not my cup of tea. I guess I should be shunned though for trying... what an ass I am.
Just to name a few "amazing pieces" that just don't jive with me, but have listened to them in their entirety, yet I probably won't listen to again... it'd be a bit sadistic for me if I did.
Last edited by RoundTheBend on 12/03/2016 05:04; edited 2 times in total
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
I don't think I have the words to adequately express my opinion on this topic, but I'm gonna try anyways.
My closest approximation of what makes me like a piece of music is that it makes me think or feel something. Music, like all art forms, is media, and media is a form of indirect communication. Someone, somewhere, felt or thought something, some inspiration, and made a piece of media (in this case, the piece of music), which relates to that thought or feeling. I then receive that piece of music, and it either makes me think/feel something or it doesn't (what I get out of a piece of music won't always be what they tried to put into it). Music I like succeeds in making me experience something I can relate to; a thought, an emotion, a perspective, or maybe just the urge to dance. It doesn't have to be something profound, or something complex, or something positive, as long it gives me a genuine experience. Music I don't like either creates an impression which I can't relate to, or lacks the ability to create an impression, which I guess my definition of bad music. I think this bad music is created when there is no initial inspiration which sparks the creation of the music, but rather the music was made for some reason other than to give people that true genuine experience.
Personally I like this answer, because it can explain the rather expansive tastes of some persons, because it doesn't matter what the music is, all that matters is its effect on the listener. Does Coltrane make you feel something?? Good. Do Kraftwerk also acheive that?? Also good. Nine Inch Nails?? The Beatles?? Kendrick Lamar?? David Bowie?? Can?? deadmau5?? Miles Davis?? All good. And if Katy Perry or Taylor Swift also somehow affect you (how is beyond me, but lets just say that they do)?? Then good for you. Music is intensely personal because different people will have different things which they can relate to. I haven't lived in your shoes, so maybe you've had lived some event where now these things speak to you where they don't to me.
On a related note, I do think that some musicians bury their messages deeper in their music (such as progressive rock), whereas others display it on the surface (such as bubblegum pop, but also punk rock). I think some of the music that I like that others don't is because I take more seriously than others, and I'm willing to sit there with my headphones on listening intently, trying to get every last bit of detail out of a piece, whereas others I know aren't willing to look past the surface. I think that may explain some differences in taste, but that's just my guess. And your guess is as good as mine.
Anyways, that's my best attempt at an explanation. I welcome feedback if you've got any opinions on my perspective.
Wow, this was fantastic.
I especially liked how you went from the obvious of what is, to maybe the dialectical question should be of what isn't.
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
I wish I knew... or rather, on second thoughts, I'd rather not, I don't want to learn so many things about myself. I suspect analyzing the music I like would tell more hidden stuff about me than getting analyzed on a couch would.
Isn't this the truth!
I think this is kinda what RKM was getting at - probably the reason we listen to the music we listen to is psychological.
Last edited by RoundTheBend on 12/03/2016 17:00; edited 1 time in total
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum