Drum Talk, Recommend me some Drum Albums!

Goto page Previous  123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Wow, thanks so much guys. That's a hell of a lot of albums, only a couple of which I've listened to. Still great nonetheless, Rush Moving Pictures of course, Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger with the ever underrated Matt Cameron on drums. The groove he provided underneath the thunderous Kim and Ben and the lion that was Chris made Jesus Christ Pose one of the most unique songs I've ever heard.

Tha1ChiefRocka, I will not argue with a man who says Tony Williams is the best. Dude was so majestic. Every note mattered and then some. I'm going to link you to what I think is the greatest drum solo I think I've ever heard, not just from Anthony. Excited to hear more stuff from him in what you selected.


Link



Kool Keith Sweat, I already took your advice and listened to 3 tracks from Tortoise. Instantly connected with it. Can't wait to hear more. Forgive me, but what is the Bumps record?


Hayden, all three of those guys have unbelievable style, Blakey especially for me so far. But I can't wait to listen to those specific works.
_________________
Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed control.
  • Quote
AAL2014 wrote:
what is the Bumps record?


The three rotating drummers from Tortoise just make sample-able beats; it's like twenty one or two minute drum tracks with one or two drummers on each, produced by Peanut Butter Wolf.
  • Quote
This is my favourite drum performance of all time, I love Bill Bruford's subtle touch and the way he weaves seamlessly between different time signatures and tempos.

Link


Pete Thomas is another drummer I greatly admire. This track really melts my brain, how he manages to keep this groove steady i'll never know.

Link


and of course you can't go wrong with XTC, I always struggle to hear where the '1' is in this track.

Link
  • Quote
Nearly forgot! The drums on this tune are very cool, it switches between 5/4 and 4/4 a lot, no idea what meter the chorus is in... 21/8?
https://kantcope.bandcamp.com/track/what-then
  • Quote
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
The three rotating drummers from Tortoise just make sample-able beats; it's like twenty one or two minute drum tracks with one or two drummers on each, produced by Peanut Butter Wolf.


I don't know how I've never heard of this before, because I know the records of both Tortoise and Peanut Butter Wolf pretty well. I saw Tortoise a couple years ago, and the percussion was amazing.
  • Quote

Drumming (1987) by Steve Reich


Orgy In Rhythm, Volume One by Art Blakey
  • Quote
kickerofelves wrote:
Nearly forgot! The drums on this tune are very cool, it switches between 5/4 and 4/4 a lot, no idea what meter the chorus is in... 21/8?
https://kantcope.bandcamp.com/track/what-then



Cool track, thanks! And yes 21/8 sounds like it makes sense for the chorus. I counted 10 quarters and an 8th. Very good use of it.
_________________
Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed control.
  • Quote

Internal Combustion by Glen Velez

amazing frame drum stuff, look at him go here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzgcI68UWlo
  • Quote

Drums Of Passion by Olatunji
  • Quote
Purely for drumming, Buddy Rich is probably the greatest of all time (at least among the virtuoso crowd). However, I don't think he was involved in any of the greatest jazz albums (unless I'm mistaken). So I'm going to recommend you albums (Rock and Jazz) that combine incredible drumming with incredible music -- the very best I know of. Very possible that you've already heard some/several?/all? of these (sorry, I didn't take the time to go through your charts recently so this can also be considered recommendations for anyone else interested) ... ... ...

These are the best that come immediately to mind (certainly not all of them). In order per my overall album rankings:

The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus (1963)



A Love Supreme - John Coltrane (1964)



Unit Structures - Cecil Taylor (1966)



The Jazz Composer's Orchestra - Michael Mantler (1968)



Improvisie - Paul Bley (1971)



Crystals - Sam Rivers (1974)



Even the Sounds Shine - Myra Melford (1994)



Neu! - Neu! (1972)



Mu - Don Cherry (1969)



We Insist! Freedom Now Suite - Max Roach (1960)



Disappeared - Spring Heel Jack (2000)



The Bandwagon - Jason Moran (2003)



Mother of Virtues - Pyrrhon (2015)



Rusty - Rodan (1994)



Double Nickels on the Dime - Minutemen (1984)



Future Days - Can (1973)



Bricolage - Amon Tobin (1997)



2 - Don Caballero (1995)



Brilliant Corners - Thelonious Monk (1956)



I - Meshuggah (2004) [EP]



Orgy in Rhythm, Vol. 1 & 2 - Art Blakey (1957)



OV - Orthrelm (2005)


_________________
Best Classical
Best Films
Best Paintings

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123  Next
Page 2 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Chart talk Guest Music
Recommend me some albums? daysbetween Music
Recommend me some Indie Folk albums f... quincytejani Music
I'm new, recommend me some albums Happy Music
Recommend some Good Pop punk newbands1 Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.