===========================================
Both of these albums were massively influential on the sound of the mid 90s. Which is better & why?[/quote]
I personally liked Generator by Bad Religion. I like the lyrics better, it seems more heartfelt, the songwriting is better, the recording is better, the bass tone is great (even though I typically am a Greed Day fan when it comes to bass tone). The only thing I dislike about it is I was craving some more dynamic, but that often is the weakness of punk (imo). Multiple vocalists and the solos seem to be better. Cool tempo changes. Atomic Garden was probably my favorite track.
The Green Day album is earlier in their career, so songwriting hadn't blossomed yet. The vocals and lyrics are lacking. The bass of course is fantastic. Welcome to Paradise is a bit rushed/messy compared to Bad Religion or Green Day's later recordings. The songs are that goofy pop sound, but aren't quite honed into the dookie green day later became, I guess some think. Sweet Children probably is my favorite track (I think was their first band name?). My Generation cover was actually pretty weak.
Both have that upbeat punk sound typical of CA punk. My 14 year old self loved this stuff and that ska revival a few years later. Another great band I love from this scene is Social Distortion.
I'll post my two albums once I figure out how the rules work.
Two albums from 1968 in the blues yet psychedelic rock genre and don't have a massive distance between the two but I don't really hear a lot of recognition of The Steve Miller Band and most people just think fly like an eagle and that's the end, but they actually did some really cool stuff in the late 60s overshadowed by other stuffs.
===========================================
Both of these albums were massively influential on the sound of the mid 90s. Which is better & why?
Quote:
I personally liked Generator by Bad Religion. I like the lyrics better, it seems more heartfelt, the songwriting is better, the recording is better, the bass tone is great (even though I typically am a Greed Day fan when it comes to bass tone). The only thing I dislike about it is I was craving some more dynamic, but that often is the weakness of punk (imo). Multiple vocalists and the solos seem to be better. Cool tempo changes. Atomic Garden was probably my favorite track.
The Green Day album is earlier in their career, so songwriting hadn't blossomed yet. The vocals and lyrics are lacking. The bass of course is fantastic. Welcome to Paradise is a bit rushed/messy compared to Bad Religion or Green Day's later recordings. The songs are that goofy pop sound, but aren't quite honed into the dookie green day later became, I guess some think. Sweet Children probably is my favorite track (I think was their first band name?). My Generation cover was actually pretty weak.
Both have that upbeat punk sound typical of CA punk. My 14 year old self loved this stuff and that ska revival a few years later. Another great band I love from this scene is Social Distortion.
Completely agree. Great synopsis. I think Bad Religion may have been the most influential band of the entire 1990s punk scene. So many band copied the sound of their late 80s/early 90s records like this one.
This will probably not last. But for the time being, I vote for Traffic. I just literally discovered the Traffic album (it was hidden somewhere in my wifeโs collection). And am still utterly amazed. I only had a best of Album by Traffic that I found okay but not overwhelming. A wonderful example of how one album can be much better as a whole than just a collection of "hits".
Everything on the album is great, and it is Mr. Fantasy that I liked the least.
It is full of ideas, different styles and the voice of Winwood fits beautifully to the mood that is created. And the sitar on Utterly Simple wins easily over Within You Without You. _________________ When the stewardess is near do not show any fear.
This will probably not last. But for the time being, I vote for Traffic. I just literally discovered the Traffic album (it was hidden somewhere in my wifeโs collection). And am still utterly amazed. I only had a best of Album by Traffic that I found okay but not overwhelming. A wonderful example of how one album can be much better as a whole than just a collection of "hits".
Everything on the album is great, and it is Mr. Fantasy that I liked the least.
It is full of ideas, different styles and the voice of Winwood fits beautifully to the mood that is created. And the sitar on Utterly Simple wins easily over Within You Without You.
I only recently heard the whole Mr Fantasy album, even though I knew one or two songs from before. I always liked a couple of their early 70s albums like John Barleycorn, but I never really listened to their 60s albums. This one is really great. I wouldn't rank it higher than Sergeant Pepper, but it's still pretty good.
mickilennialThe Most Trusted Name in NewsProfile Detroit
You can really tell that Traffic wasnโt quite there yet.
I think Iโm going to give it to Sgt. Peppers despite absolutely hating being in The Beatles corner on such a contentious issue. Mr. Fantasy is too inconsistent to really give it the edge and while I prefer a lot of stuff on the guitar end it just doesnโt push Mr. Fantasy enough to compete for me.
Moved: 04/18/2018 14:08 by RockyRaccoon From Music to Tournaments
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
Anyone going to take the Jimi Hendrix vs Steve Miller Band challenge?
RULES:
- You have to listen to a previously suggested 2 albums, and comment on them before you can post a new listening challenge.
- The two albums you list in your challenge must be from the same year, and be somehow comparable in style/genre.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum