MBGA: Discuss the Yearly Chart Above You

Goto page Previous  12345678  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Top 80 Music Albums of 1974 by Tha1ChiefRocka
  • Quote
I'm not sure how this game works. But I like to talk about all the years from the 1970s, so I'm going to talk about this 1974 chart
To begin with, you can see how the mid-70s was the peak of so many different kinds of music.. And he's got a good representation of a lot of them. For instance, the excellent choices of Krautrock by Can, Triumvirat (the mouse coming out of the egg album, as I call it), Harmonia, Conrad schnitzler, Tangerine Dream (and Edgar Froese solo album), Cluster, Popol Vuh. And the granddaddy of them all, Kraftwerk Autobahn!!! Most of these people had their breakthrough album that year. Which means it was a good year for that kind of music. It was also a peak year for British Prog, which he has really well represented here with Genesis Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, King Crimson Red, Strawbs, Nektar, and people like Henry Cow, Robert Wyatt and Gong. (Not too sure if they were British or not though). And also American and Canadian Prog like Rush.
And then Southern Rock guys like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Marshall Tucker Band had their very best albums in 1974 too. He's got both of those too.
And he's even got the Proto-disco/funk of BT Express Do it til You're Satisfied (one of the best ever disco albums) and the Fatback Band.
And then odds and ends like Tom Waits and Steely Dan and even Robert Palmer had good albums that year. This is to point out how diverse and varied any year of the 70s was. The only thing he's got missing is singer songwriter, except for Neil Young and Gram Parsons maybe. 74 was a good year for the big singer-songwriters too.
Even glam-rock was still holding on with good albums by David Bowie Roxy Music, which he also has here. The only ones I really don't know anything about are the Jazz Rock Fusion ones like Weather Report. So I don't know if those are good or not.
He also doesn't seem to have a taste for 70s pop/rock like I do. But what the hell. Really good variety on this chart.
  • Quote
emoji crazy ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ X ๐Ÿฅณ X ๐Ÿฅฐ ๐Ÿฅฐ X X X X X X X X ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ ๐Ÿชฆ [quote="bobbyb5"]I'm not sure how this game works. But I like to talk about all the years from the 1970s, so I'm going to talk about this 1974 chart
To begin with, you can see how the mid-70s was the peak of so many different kinds of music.. And he's got a good representation of a lot of them. For instance, the excellent choices of Krautrock by Can, Triumvirat (the mouse coming out of the egg album, as I call it), Harmonia, Conrad schnitzler, Tangerine Dream (and Edgar Froese solo album), Cluster, Popol Vuh. And the granddaddy of them all, Kraftwerk Autobahn!!! Most of these people had their breakthrough album that year. Which means it was a good year for that kind of music. It was also a peak year for British Prog, which he has really well represented here with Genesis Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, King Crimson Red, Strawbs, Nektar, and people like Henry Cow, Robert Wyatt and Gong. (Not too sure if they were British or not though). And also American and Canadian Prog like Rush.
And then Southern Rock guys like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Marshall Tucker Band had their very best albums in 1974 too. He's got both of those too.
And he's even got the Proto-disco/funk of BT Express Do it til You're Satisfied (one of the best ever disco albums) and the Fatback Band.
And then odds and ends like Tom Waits and Steely Dan and even Robert Palmer had good albums that year. This is to point out how diverse and varied any year of the 70s was. The only thing he's got missing is singer songwriter, except for Neil Young and Gram Parsons maybe. 74 was a good year for the big singer-songwriters too.
Even glam-rock was still holding on with good albums by David Bowie Roxy Music, which he also has here. The only ones I really don't know anything about are the Jazz Rock Fusion ones like Weather Report. So I don't know if those are good or not.
He also doesn't seem to have a taste for 70s pop/rock like I do. But what the hell. Really good variety on this chart. ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
I'm not sure how this game works. But I like to talk about all the years from the 1970s, so I'm going to talk about this 1974 chart
To begin with, you can see how the mid-70s was the peak of so many different kinds of music.. And he's got a good representation of a lot of them. For instance, the excellent choices of Krautrock by Can, Triumvirat (the mouse coming out of the egg album, as I call it), Harmonia, Conrad schnitzler, Tangerine Dream (and Edgar Froese solo album), Cluster, Popol Vuh. And the granddaddy of them all, Kraftwerk Autobahn!!! Most of these people had their breakthrough album that year. Which means it was a good year for that kind of music. It was also a peak year for British Prog, which he has really well represented here with Genesis Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, King Crimson Red, Strawbs, Nektar, and people like Henry Cow, Robert Wyatt and Gong. (Not too sure if they were British or not though). And also American and Canadian Prog like Rush.
And then Southern Rock guys like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Marshall Tucker Band had their very best albums in 1974 too. He's got both of those too.
And he's even got the Proto-disco/funk of BT Express Do it til You're Satisfied (one of the best ever disco albums) and the Fatback Band.
And then odds and ends like Tom Waits and Steely Dan and even Robert Palmer had good albums that year. This is to point out how diverse and varied any year of the 70s was. The only thing he's got missing is singer songwriter, except for Neil Young and Gram Parsons maybe. 74 was a good year for the big singer-songwriters too.
Even glam-rock was still holding on with good albums by David Bowie Roxy Music, which he also has here. The only ones I really don't know anything about are the Jazz Rock Fusion ones like Weather Report. So I don't know if those are good or not.
He also doesn't seem to have a taste for 70s pop/rock like I do. But what the hell. Really good variety on this chart.


So you got half of the game right with your commentary. The second half is to leave one of your own year charts that you like for someone to respond to.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
Doh... I didn't catch the key word "yearly"... sorry.
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I'm not sure how this game works. But I like to talk about all the years from the 1970s, so I'm going to talk about this 1974 chart
To begin with, you can see how the mid-70s was the peak of so many different kinds of music.. And he's got a good representation of a lot of them. For instance, the excellent choices of Krautrock by Can, Triumvirat (the mouse coming out of the egg album, as I call it), Harmonia, Conrad schnitzler, Tangerine Dream (and Edgar Froese solo album), Cluster, Popol Vuh. And the granddaddy of them all, Kraftwerk Autobahn!!! Most of these people had their breakthrough album that year. Which means it was a good year for that kind of music. It was also a peak year for British Prog, which he has really well represented here with Genesis Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, King Crimson Red, Strawbs, Nektar, and people like Henry Cow, Robert Wyatt and Gong. (Not too sure if they were British or not though). And also American and Canadian Prog like Rush.
And then Southern Rock guys like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Marshall Tucker Band had their very best albums in 1974 too. He's got both of those too.
And he's even got the Proto-disco/funk of BT Express Do it til You're Satisfied (one of the best ever disco albums) and the Fatback Band.
And then odds and ends like Tom Waits and Steely Dan and even Robert Palmer had good albums that year. This is to point out how diverse and varied any year of the 70s was. The only thing he's got missing is singer songwriter, except for Neil Young and Gram Parsons maybe. 74 was a good year for the big singer-songwriters too.
Even glam-rock was still holding on with good albums by David Bowie Roxy Music, which he also has here. The only ones I really don't know anything about are the Jazz Rock Fusion ones like Weather Report. So I don't know if those are good or not.
He also doesn't seem to have a taste for 70s pop/rock like I do. But what the hell. Really good variety on this chart.


So you got half of the game right with your commentary. The second half is to leave one of your own year charts that you like for someone to respond to.


Oh, okay. Got it.
  • Quote
Top 72 Music Albums of 1979 by bobbyb5
  • Quote
bobbyb5 wrote:
Top 72 Music Albums of 1979 by bobbyb5


It would be cool to get this thread going again. I have a suggestion for a structure for discussion:

How about

a) Listen to one album you haven't heard from the chart above and provide your thoughts
b) Suggest one album you like that isn't present
c) Leave a year chart of your own (already part of the game)

~~~~~

So in keeping with that, here goes:

a) For the first time, inspired by this chart, I listened to


Risquรฉ by Chic

I liked it quite a bit. Good Times was the obvious standout, but some of the deeper cuts were cool too. Good grooves throughout. I need to listen to more disco albums. I was especially happy to hear the source of one of my favorite Kanye beats:


Link


b) Based on your other ratings, one album that's not here that you might like is


Rust Never Sleeps by Neil Young And Crazy Horse

c) A chart I recently updated is Top 91 Music Albums of 2015 by baystateoftheart
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
I like Rust, but probably I just overlooked it because I haven't heard it in so many years.

I've heard a lot of Chic songs sampled, but I've never heard When You Hear this Song sampled before. Everybody knows all the millions of times that Good Times was sampled, but there's tons more too.
  • Quote
Ok I am playing. Good game.

Last chart to be mentioned was baystateofhearts's Top albums of 2015.

I had a look through. A very nice, diverse chart. The few albums I know on it. I am wanting to improve my knowledge of 2010's music because I don't know a lot of it.

SO I am going with your recently posted rules:

1. I review one album from your chart I wasn't familiar with.
2. I suggest an album from 2015 you don't have which I like and think you may like.
3. I post one of my own year charts.

OK, here goes.

I picked:


But You Caint Use My Phone by Erykah Badu

I have heard a lot of good things about Ms Badu but aside from a couple of songs on alternative radio I never heard her. So I picked this mixtape album.

Man is it good! I love her cover of Drake's Hotline Bling, my favourite song of his. She makes it uniquely her own and mixes it up a bit. The whole album has a very smooth flow and she has a terrific voice. the cover of the Ray Parker Jr song Mr Telephone Man, originally sung by New Edition back in the 80s, I remember it fondly. Yes this is another great cover and its use made me laugh, partly cos of nostalgia. What's Yo Phone Number is pretty slick as well. And the last song, featuring her ex-partner Andre 3000, is very good too. I like his rap. I like how the whole album is about using the phone, what cell phone use does to us, missing calls, communication between people esp lovers.

It's a slick, sick album. It was a pleasure to listen to. Now I want to listen to more Erykah Badu albums.

Now for my recommendation to you.

I don't know if you like the band or not but number one album on my 2015 year list is this baby:


Blurryface by Twenty One Pilots

I adore this album. It's in my top 100 all-time chart. Let me know what you think Mr Bay.

Okay now for the hard choice. One of my year charts. I want to go 70's as it's my favourite decade for music (I second that emotion Bobby!). But as I want to improve my knowledge of 2010 charts I am gonna plump for a Ten's year. Ok got it.

Top 38 Music Albums of 2017 by Stover75

Let me know what you think, whomever is going to (hopefully) pick up this thread.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12345678  Next
Page 4 of 8


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: Chart talk Guest Music
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
Do you keep yearly lists of singles? rkm Music
Decade/yearly chart "Sort by&quo... asimpkins Suggestions

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.