Is it cheating to put Best-of's in your Top 100???

Goto page Previous  12345  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
And if I did a list of desert island 100 albums I would have some greatest hits/ compilations on it including the previously mentioned as well as the blue and red Beatles albums.
  • Quote
glynspsa wrote:
And if I did a list of desert island 100 albums I would have some greatest hits/ compilations on it including the previously mentioned as well as the blue and red Beatles albums.


Yeah, if for some reason you were only allowed to own 100 albums then of course that's what I would do. That's actually another reason why I sometimes put compilations even when the artists have perfectly good non- compilations. To save space. If I didn't put a Creedence best of, for example, I might have put three or four of their regular releases, thereby by taking up too many slots. I mean, you only get 100 slots so you have to use them wisely. It's not like you get 1000 or anything.


Last edited by bobbyb5 on 07/23/2018 14:41; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
I limit comps on my overall to R&B, Blues and pre-LP music. I have two Miles Davis box sets, but I don't count them as comps because one is all 6 sets he played at a club (edited versions of two of the sets were previously released) and the other's all (officially) previously unreleased live shows.

Personally I think it's better to only include albums of album-oriented artists, though singles-oriented artists are fair game. But ultimately it's between each member and their chart.
  • Quote
Personally I don't think it's cheating at all, especially considering some genres are more orientated towards singles than albums and therefore compys are in some cases the only way you'll hear an artist's work in an album format (that Lancelot Layne compy Gabe mentioned springs to mind, as does early Kleenex).

I do however feel that anyone who has Legend in their overall chart needs a quarter pound ishen stuffed right up their fudge tunnel.
_________________
'Reggae' & t'ing
Folk 'n Stuff
SHAMELESS RECORD DEALER PLUG
  • Quote
I don't know what you mean by "cheating." Making a Top 100 isn't a game which you have rules to abide by. Everyone may put what they please on their list.

I have one greatest hits album on my list:

Photographs & Memories: His Greatest Hits by Jim Croce
  • Quote
Jimmy Dread wrote:
I do however feel that anyone who has Legend in their overall chart needs a quarter pound ishen stuffed right up their fudge tunnel.

Lol, that's the jimmiest thing ever
_________________
Top 100 Hits you must hear before the universe implodes of beauty
  • Quote
In the end it's simple: if, for an artist you like, you can't find an album you like better than the compilation, then go for the compilation!
For example, The Police : I love the band and I quite like the albums, but in my charts, I decided to include the best-of.
But for some artist, some albums are so strong that there is no debate that they're superior to the best-of. The Velvet Undergroud for instance.

An album is the result of a session (I like that term), and some sessions are just touched by grace so that no best-of would ever beat it.
  • Quote
Almost always, yes
  • Quote
I used to try and avoid doing it a long long time ago, nowadays I'm a lot more chilled though, in the current iteration of my chart I have a few compilations (and I can think of a few more that'll make the cut when I finish updating):


The Best Of Django Reinhardt by Django Reinhardt


In The Jungle Groove by James Brown


Substance by Joy Division


Louder Than Bombs by The Smiths
_________________


2023
2022
  • Quote
well, I mean, it is YOUR top 100. So, whatever you say goes.

That said, I try very hard to not have greatest hits/compilations in mine. As a matter of fact, the only one I have is AC/DC live. I did that because I definitely need AC/DC in my top 100, but none of their individual albums really warranted it.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12345  Next
Page 2 of 5


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
How much time put into Top 100 past t... Jasonconfused Music
Hi, I put up my top 25, it was fun, c... FatherTime Music
Put on Your Parkas PossiblyMichigan Music
Cheating the system videoheadcleaner Suggestions
Songs about cheating CassidyInc Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.