You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 767778 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

Street Poets by Street Poets

The MC's for this group don't have much of a personality, but whoever produced the beats was one chill dude. They're consistently downtempo and derivative of eachother, but in a really nice way.

Here's my favorite from the album


Link


Baystate, tackle Pete Townshend's opus, "Quadrophenia".

Mental Dimension- MD's .....On the Come In
Ill Biskits- Chronicle of Two Losers
Ill Advised- Can You Smell It
Live Poets- What's It All About
Greer - Ill Visions
Red Money- II Much Red
StreeThugs- Not to Be Fuโ€ข?ed With
Big 50- Ain't No Turnin' Back
D of Trinity Garden Cartel- Straight Texas Hoodlum
Intrepid Stylez- Underground Connex
  • Quote

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary And Thyme by Simon And Garfunkel

I'm always happy to listen to Simon and Garfunkel. They just seem to put me at peace. There was a few songs I hadn't heard before but I think this is my favourite of theirs that I've heard so far. Of course Homeward Bound is a classic but I really want to give a mention to The Dangling Conversation. An under-rated song in my opinion considering it's not in their top 20 rated songs on this site but would be in my top 5. I also enjoy their clever homage?/tribute?/parody? to Bob Dylan, A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd Into Submission). It brings a smile to my face and makes me chuckle every time. 8.5/10, 2/4 for 1966, 19/87 for the 60's (just below Dylan ๐Ÿคฃ )

Rocka all of these are even hard to find info on. This one seems to get a lot of respect. Mental Dimension- MD's .....On the Come In

Seth's best of the 60's (4 picks left)

12. Donovan's Greatest Hits - Donovan
26. With The Beatles - The Beatles
31. Sailor - Steve Miller Band
33. Willy And The Poor Boys - Creedence Clearwater Revival
34. Wheels Of Fire - Cream
35. First Take - Roberta Flack
36. Smiley Smile - The Beach Boys
40. At San Quentin - Johnny Cash
43. Beatles For Sale - The Beatles
44. Bayou Country - Creedence Clearwater Revival
  • Quote
1.

Selected Ambient Works Volume II by Aphex Twin

This was actually quite nice. Long, but nice. Great for subconscious music. I enjoyed it as much if not more than any Eno album. 85.

Sailor by Steve Miller Band


2. Purplepash, I almost went Donovan, but curious what your take on Steve Miller Band is.
  • Quote
(1)

This was an enjoyable album. There are a few things that I would have changed. However as a whole I did have a lot of fun. Like I will hopefully give this another listen. Grade:90

(2)
Seth listen to The Sound Of Perseverance by Death. Unless your changing the list.

(3)
Best Ever Albums 2000 List
#61 The Sickness-Disturbed
#70 Alone With Everybody-Richard Ashcroft
#73 Mother Earth-Within Temptation
#77 SMPTe-Transatlantic
#79 Return Of Saturn-No Doubt
#81 Violent By Design-Jedi Mind Tricks
#84 V-Spock's Beard
#85 Holy Wood-Marilyn Manson
#86 Spiritual Machines-Our Lady Peace
#87 Suburban Light-The Clientele
  • Quote
1.


Quadrophenia by The Who

Technically, it's well-played. Some of the songs are good. The problem is it's an indulgent, ponderous slog as a whole, telling a meandering story about an unsympathetic character. I don't hate it, and I wouldn't call it bad exactly, but I have no intention of ever revisiting it. I have yet to connect with a rock opera. 2.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Luigii, try this:


Suburban Light by The Clientele

~~~~~

3. BEA Top Rated Member Overall Chart Sampler

1. Tilly: 12. Stormcock - Roy Harper
2. Tap: 14. Futuristie - Pierre Henry
3. babyBlueSedan: 1. Emergency & I - The Dismemberment Plan
4. Arthurknight: 5. Tender Prey - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
5. Imaybeparanoid: 9. Takk... - Sigur Rรณs
6. sidneyfranklyn: 8. Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band
7. LadyGodiva: 4. Ocean Rain - Echo & The Bunnymen
8. DJENNY: 10. Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads
9. Stover75: 22. Lionheart - Kate Bush
10. Antonio-Pedro: 1. Eureka - Jim O'Rourke
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
(1)

This was a great album. Not an amazing album. That album while pretty chilled and relaxing, my chilled music needs to be a bit enveloping to get me more entertained. Also do want to point out that the vocals could have been mixed a little better. Otherwise, pretty enjoyable.
Grade:80

(2)
Bay listen to Takk...
I thought you listen to that album? I might be wrong.

(3)
Best Ever Albums 2000 List
#61 The Sickness-Disturbed
#70 Alone With Everybody-Richard Ashcroft
#73 Mother Earth-Within Temptation
#77 SMPTe-Transatlantic
#79 Return Of Saturn-No Doubt
#81 Violent By Design-Jedi Mind Tricks
#84 V-Spock's Beard
#85 Holy Wood-Marilyn Manson
#86 Spiritual Machines-Our Lady Peace
#88 Train Of Thought-Reflection Eternal
  • Quote
1.


Takk... by Sigur Rรณs

Luigii, you might be thinking of ( ), which I listened to in this thread. As for Takk..., it's quite beautiful, but compared to other works I've heard from the band / within the genre, it's more predictable and has less personality. At times the sweeping sounds feel like stock soundtrack footage, which is not great. There are some standout tracks and the gorgeousness makes up for the dull moments, but this is a notch below their prior two studio albums. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. This is the only one I've heard:


Train Of Thought by Reflection Eternal

~~~~~

3. BEA Top Rated Member Overall Chart Sampler

1. Tilly: 12. Stormcock - Roy Harper
2. Tap: 14. Futuristie - Pierre Henry
3. babyBlueSedan: 1. Emergency & I - The Dismemberment Plan
4. Arthurknight: 5. Tender Prey - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
5. Imaybeparanoid: 22. Nowhere - Ride
6. sidneyfranklyn: 8. Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band
7. LadyGodiva: 4. Ocean Rain - Echo & The Bunnymen
8. DJENNY: 10. Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads
9. Stover75: 22. Lionheart - Kate Bush
10. Antonio-Pedro: 1. Eureka - Jim O'Rourke
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

MD's... On The Come In by Mental Dimension

Hey, this one's on bandcamp! https://mentaldimension.bandcamp.com/releases

So, another really solid album. Underground conscious hip hop in the 90s is pretty much my jam. These guys (from North Carolina!) can really rhyme. This group is one of the most lyrically skilled I've listened to so far. Beats are pretty good as well.

Baystate, you've not listened to any of those? ๐Ÿคค Listen to "Emergency & I".


Ill Biskits- Chronicle of Two Losers
Ill Advised- Can You Smell It
Live Poets- What's It All About
Greer - Ill Visions
Red Money- II Much Red
StreeThugs- Not to Be Fuโ€ข?ed With
Big 50- Ain't No Turnin' Back
D of Trinity Garden Cartel- Straight Texas Hoodlum
Intrepid Stylez- Underground Connex
Murder Inc.- Let's Die 2-Gether
  • Quote
1.

The Sound Of Perseverance by Death (Metal)
This was surprisingly pretty good. I actually dug Story to Tell. The bassist is pretty damn good. Can't tell if this is growing on me or if it's just a better death metal album than most. 80-85.

Also nice catch there Luigii... probably got distracted.

2. Chief... check: Ill Biskits- Chronicle of Two Losers

3.
256. Still Life by Opeth (1999)
274. Human by Death (1991)
309. Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer (1990)
322. Hvis lyset tar oss by Burzum (1994)
324. Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler by Ulver (1995)
332. Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch (2006)
360. Desertshore by Nico (1970)
362. Red House Painters [Rollercoaster] by Red House Painters (1993)
365. Silent Hill 2: Original Soundtrack by ๅฑฑๅฒกๆ™ƒ (2001)
367. Get Up With It by Miles Davis (1974)

363. Iron Maiden by Iron Maiden (1980) - needs a rating
370. NEU! '75 by NEU! (1975) (assuming this is different
371. Stress: The Extinction Agenda by Organized Konfusion (1994)
373. Script of the Bridge by The Chameleons (1983)
374. Altars of Madness by Morbid Angel (1989)
375. Moment of Truth by Gang Starr (1998)
378. Individual Thought Patterns by Death (1993)
379. Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus by Charles Mingus (1964)
380. Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath (1980)
381. Youth of America by Wipers (381)
386. Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection (1995)
387. Ghost Reveries by Opeth (2005)
390. Lanquidity by Sun Ra (1978)
395. You Won't Get What You Want by Daughters (2018)
396. Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) by Eno (1974)
399. Astigmatic by Komeda Quintet (1966)
400. flood by Boris (2000)
  • Quote
After waiting for a few hours to get tickets for End Game, I get to post.
(1)

If a few songs on this album had more instrumentation, I could see this graded even higher. But even then, this is an excellent album. From the lryics to the flow and to a lot of the sounds on this album, I could say for hip hop of 2000 it is top 3 material. I mean your below Like Water For Chocolate and Stankonia but your still doing quite good. If I could say what my favorite tracks were, it would definitely be Good Mourning and Expansion Outro.
Grade:90

(2)
Glad that I catched that for you Seth. Now my pick has to be the Silent Hill 2 soundtrack.

(3)
Best Ever Albums 2000 List
#61 The Sickness-Disturbed
#70 Alone With Everybody-Richard Ashcroft
#73 Mother Earth-Within Temptation
#77 SMPTe-Transatlantic
#79 Return Of Saturn-No Doubt
#81 Violent By Design-Jedi Mind Tricks
#84 V-Spock's Beard
#85 Holy Wood-Marilyn Manson
#86 Spiritual Machines-Our Lady Peace
#90 Excuses For Travellers-Mojave 3

Also want to point out that there is only 20 albums left for 2000. The list & 91-100. Wow, I'm proud for that.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 767778 ... 444445446  Next
Page 77 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.