You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 151152153 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

Eleven Pop Songs by Happydeadmen

As much as I wished this was something like Throbbing Gristle, this is exactly what it says. Eleven nicely performed jangle pop songs by some Swedes. Could've been on US college radio in 86, and nobody would've been the wiser.

The Shins, I guess.

Vlad Tepes / Belkètre ‎– March To The Black Holocaust (This one may be too scary)
in slaughter natives - in slaughter natives
Roberto Cacciapaglia - The Ann Steel Album
Jason Lescalleet- The Pilgrim
David Shea - Satyricon
The Last Emperor - The Legend of Bigfoot
Merzbow - Ecobondage
Nate Young - Regression Vol. 3 (Other Days)
Darc Mind - Symptomatic Of A Greater Ill
Ojas - The Trance Tape
  • Quote
(1)

The Lemon Of Pink by The Books
Incredible. It sounds like nothing I've ever heard before, and it's also sublime. There aren't any songs that I'd say are well above the album average, and that's because the average is so high. Wonderfully experimental folksy sound, combines samples with some folk instruments and great singing by Anne Doerner on the first track. Would recommend to everyone who has been living under a rock like me. 9/10

(2)
I guess you can never listen to enough Merzbow, it's Ecobondage for you Chief.

(3)
Hayden's Top albums of 2000s (6 to go)

4. Belle And Sebastian - Push Barman To Open Old Wounds
7. Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabaté - In The Heart Of The Moon
10. Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens
11. Panda Bear - Person Pitch
14. Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender
16. Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala
18. D'Angelo - Voodoo
22. M.I.A. - Kala
23. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
24. Isla - Portico Quartet
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote

Oh, Inverted World by The Shins

The Shins have never done much for me and this album didn't change that. New Slang was good, but apart from that it's just jangle pop that I neither like or dislike....it just is. 7/10 and 39/45 for 2001.


Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabaté - In The Heart Of The Moon is worth hearing Zep.


In The Heart Of The Moon by Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabaté


Onto the next chart - only 2 albums in common (Travels With Myself And Another by Future Of The Left & The Runners Four by Deerhoof) but I've probably only heard less than 10 of these.

Top 100 Music Albums of the 2000s by Tha1ChiefRocka (5 picks)

2. Women by Women
3. Black Eyes by Black Eyes
4. The View From This Tower by Faraquet
6. Miss Machine by The Dillinger Escape Plan
7. Drum's Not Dead by Liars
8. Plague Soundscapes by The Locust
9. The Egg by Shiner
10. Wilderness by Wilderness
11. Freedom's Just Another Word For Never Getting Paid by Gravitar
12. Let's Stay Friend by Les Savy Fav
  • Quote
(1)


Wind by Gigi Masin

I was naturally anticipating more vocals following "Call Me", but instead got a parade of instrumentals. I'm not going to complain, given the quality of the rest of the album, but his voice has some George Michael-esque quality to it that I would have loved to hear more of. Anyways, I don't know that I would crown this album as a masterwork, but Masin does create some really interesting moods and environs. Some of the ambient I've listened to has too little going on...Masin has just enough elements to generate interest without spoiling the mood. The horns are really nice...jazzy at times, but I think they're at their best when they align themselves with the modernist approach taken by the synths, as on "Swallow Tempest". Cool album.

(2)

I've only heard one off that chart. I am Jack's giggling roulette wheel:


The View From This Tower by Faraquet

(3)

Tha1ChiefRocka's 57 Greatest Music Albums

1. Satie: 3 Gymnopédies & Other Piano Works // Pascal Rogé
3. Krzysztof Penderecki: St Luke Passion // Krzysztof Penderecki / National Radio Symphony Orchestra / Warsaw National Philharmonic Chorus
4. Krenek: Lamentatio Jeremiae Prophetae // Marcus Creed / RIAS Kammerchor
5. Canto Ostinato // Simeon Ten Holt
7. Lisbon // Keith Fullerton Whitman
9. Arrange And Process Basic Channel Tracks // Scion
10. Live At The Liquid Room - Tokyo // Jeff Mills
12. Persian Surgery Dervishes // Terry Riley
15. Zwölftonspiele // Josef Matthias Hauer / Ensemble Avantgarde
16. 6 // Supersilent
  • Quote
(1)


🤔
This is an album that I would argue is competent but just felt somewhat indifference. It comes to where the singer and songs don't mesh that well. Like I would argue that the singer does have a unique voice that makes her noticeable but I would be lying if I didn't mentioned that I would get tired or annoyed from her approach of singing. Or if the songs were more zany or had these blemishes that elevated the songs to more fascinating directions, I'd be more impressed by it. But after a while most of these songs end up getting stuck in the same chugging riffs that I could see pleasing some listeners but for me just get bored by it. I will say that the last track was probably the song that I enjoyed since I feel everything meshed well. But otherwise, wasn't crazy about this and don't think I would come back to this. Will probably piss people off with this but I had to be honest and give this a 60. Could be a 55 if I listen to this more.

(2)
Jameth listen to Terry Riley

(3)
Best Ever Albums 2001 List
#44 Your Favorite Weapon-Brand New
#50 Love is Here-Starsailor
#62 Full Collapse-Thursday
#71 Jessico-Babasonicos
#73 Invincible-Michael Jackson
#77 Know Your Enemy-Manic Street Preachers
#86 Bath-Maudlin Of The Wall
#89 Rock Steady-No Doubt
#91 Echolalia-Something For Kate
#92 Silent Hill 2 OST-Akira Yamaoka



Here is the 2001 canon that gets updated to me. (I have to update this)
https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=52774
  • Quote

Ecobondage by メルツバウ [Merzbow]

Merzbow is one of the most prolific noise artists of all-time, which is why it's hard to find a decent way through his hundreds of releases. I've got a couple I want to hear, and I need to refamiliarize myself with Merzbeat and Pulse Demon, because I have a broader appreciation for this sort of thing now. I think I first heard Merzbow when I was 14, and I thought it was just "toilet sounds" like Hank Hill. Now I'm listening to it for fun. He's what I would consider a musical necromancer. I'm not sure how he coaxes out some of the sounds on his records, but I'm sure there is some black magic of some sort involved. I need to get a tape of this to play outside during Halloween while the trick-or-treaters are coming to the door. 😁

You continue to amaze me Luigii. Listen to the Silent Hill 2 OST. It's a good one.

Vlad Tepes / Belkètre ‎– March To The Black Holocaust (This one may be too scary)
in slaughter natives - in slaughter natives
Roberto Cacciapaglia - The Ann Steel Album
Jason Lescalleet- The Pilgrim
David Shea - Satyricon
The Last Emperor - The Legend of Bigfoot
Nate Young - Regression Vol. 3 (Other Days)
Darc Mind - Symptomatic Of A Greater Ill
Ojas - The Trance Tape
Mastas of the Universe - Microcrusifiction
  • Quote

The View From This Tower by Faraquet

Oh yeah! I really enjoyed this post-hardcore math rock album with some prog rock influences. The first two tracks really got my interest, the bluntness of Song For Friends To Me made my smile, and after that I just wanted to turn the volume up louder than I could in the environment I was in, and just enjoy it. The album built up nicely to the two highlights for me - Sea Song and the title track - and then a nice relaxing track to close the album. It's a shame this is their only album. 8/10, 10/32 for 2000, and 65/100 for the 2000's.


Mastas of The Universe Rocka.


Top 100 Music Albums of the 2000s by Tha1ChiefRocka (4 picks)

2. Women by Women
3. Black Eyes by Black Eyes
6. Miss Machine by The Dillinger Escape Plan
7. Drum's Not Dead by Liars
8. Plague Soundscapes by The Locust
9. The Egg by Shiner
10. Wilderness by Wilderness
11. Freedom's Just Another Word For Never Getting Paid by Gravitar
12. Let's Stay Friend by Les Savy Fav
13. Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill by Grouper
  • Quote
(1)


Persian Surgery Dervishes by Terry Riley

I don't think I can across a good explanation for the album title. I had no idea what a dervish was, so had to look it up. But what's Riley getting at with "surgery dervishes"?

This is probably the most enjoyable electronic album I've heard to date. It's engaging and playful, and yet has a deeply meditative quality reminiscent of a raga. It has those same pulsing, entrancing rhythms of eastern music, especially during the second performance; Riley's left hand is droning similar to a tanpura. His right hand sounds like it's playing something distinctly western, yet the performance as a whole sounds supremely unified. His decision to tune his organ using just intonation puts this performance over the top. I doubt it would have had half the impact in equal temperament.

The analog synths are just incredible sounding. It's really disappointing to me that their heyday was so brief. They have an incredibly rich tone that digital doesn't match, and the fact that they're played by hand lets them retain some human character. For instance, you can hear his droning left hand speed up from time to time, before slowing down. Never mind the ability to vary the touch on the keys. I know they're temperamental, but I think they're worth it, especially for studio recordings. Let me know if you guys have any recommendations for analog synth music, in particular? I'm listening to Laurie Spiegel's The Expanding Universe at the moment, but could go for some more.

(2)

*waves hands around*


Plague Soundscapes by The Locust

(3)

Tha1ChiefRocka's 57 Greatest Music Albums

1. Satie: 3 Gymnopédies & Other Piano Works // Pascal Rogé
3. Krzysztof Penderecki: St Luke Passion // Krzysztof Penderecki / National Radio Symphony Orchestra / Warsaw National Philharmonic Chorus
4. Krenek: Lamentatio Jeremiae Prophetae // Marcus Creed / RIAS Kammerchor
5. Canto Ostinato // Simeon Ten Holt
7. Lisbon // Keith Fullerton Whitman
9. Arrange And Process Basic Channel Tracks // Scion
10. Live At The Liquid Room - Tokyo // Jeff Mills
15. Zwölftonspiele // Josef Matthias Hauer / Ensemble Avantgarde
16. 6 // Supersilent
17. Berg: Wozzeck // Christoph Von Dohnányi / Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Vienna State Opera Chorus
  • Quote
1.


The Rocky Horror Picture Show by Various Artists

In general, rock operas and show tunes have been hard for me to appreciate. So I wasn't expecting to enjoy this, but it's really good. The best tracks are transcendent, and although there are mediocre and dated songs as well, overall it holds up. I have not watched the movie (much less gone to a screening where the audience recites the lines), so I don't have the full perspective on this, but I dig it for the most part. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Jameth, this is the only one I've heard:


Satie: 3 Gymnopédies & Other Piano Works by Pascal Rogé

~~~~~

3. Next up is Tilly's Mellow Zone:

12. The Letting Go - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy
20. John, The Wolf King Of L.A. - John Phillips
21. This Is A Pinback CD - Pinback
22. The Pavilion Of Dreams - Harold Budd
24. Eagles - Eagles
30. One Quarter Descent - The Fun Years
32. McCartney - Paul McCartney
34. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
35. No Other - Gene Clark
36. Throb Throb - Naked Raygun
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
(1)

In The Heart Of The Moon by Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabaté
I'm really impressed with the musicianship here. Incredible guitar playing, it sounds a bit exotic to my western ears which is always a positive quality. The only problem here is the length, it didn't need to be 53 minutes long. All the songs are good but it does sound a bit stale as a whole. Maybe I'll get used to it with more listens. 8.5/10

(2)
The Letting Go is a great album, albeit not as good as I See A Darkness imo. Well worth a listen.

(3)
Hayden's Top albums of 2000s (5 to go)

4. Belle And Sebastian - Push Barman To Open Old Wounds
10. Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens
11. Panda Bear - Person Pitch
14. Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender
16. Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala
18. D'Angelo - Voodoo
22. M.I.A. - Kala
23. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
24. Isla - Portico Quartet
25. The Motifs - Cross Paths
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 151152153 ... 444445446  Next
Page 152 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.