You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 165166167 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

Soundclash by Renegade Soundwave

An interesting mix of dub, madchester, and even what I'd consider some early plunderphonics.
It would be better if there weren't vocals though, I'd rather have an insrumental experience.

Seth, here's the problem with Earthbound. That album for Mother 2 is great, but it only has the Town Themes. No battle themes or other music is present. The full Earthbound soundtrack is almost 3 hours long, so that's a lot to listen to.


Colin Potter-2 nights
Xiphiidae - Used Parts Galaxy
Wongraven - Fjelltronen
Christina Kubisch โ€Žโ€“ Night Flights
Death Toll 80k - Harsh Realities
Derek Bailey - Improvisation
Iordanis Tsomidis- "BOUZOUKEE The Music of Greece"
Kenjiro Sakiya - Difference
Constantine- Hades
Ekkehard Ehlers-Plays
  • Quote

Mother 2: Gyiyg No Gyakushลซ by Keiichi Suzuki, Hirokazu Tanaka, Hiroshi Kanazu

So I decided to listen to the youtube full album here:

Link


I got about 2.5 hours in. It was interesting, I imagine some of those what sound like samples were actually then put in loops on the game. It was an eclectic listen for sure. It was pretty cool to hear 8 bit guitar bends. So many different things - I guess my beef with this one can't be dynamics - hahaha. Anyway, it's on one hand really interesting "electronic music" and on the other hand it's background music. I listened to it while on a hike, then the park, then raking leaves. At times I was a bit wowed and at times I was like cool I'm in motion like a video game. And other times I was like how the freak does someone enjoy this like real music instead of background music (excuse my ignorance to the beauty of video game music). I feel the same about sound tracks - they usually are actually incredibly boring, especially the "score" part. Anyway, sorry for being negative nancy. Still a decent listen. 3.5/80.

2. Chief, just cause it sounds cool (Ehlen is a German verb, but dunno if that's the thing here) Ekkehard Ehlers-Plays

3. RYM Top 500
330. Hvis lyset tar oss by Burzum
383. Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath
395. Individual Thought Patterns by Death
414. Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk by Emperor
443. South of Heaven by Slayer
476. Unquestionable Presence by Atheist
480. Holy Diver by Dio
483. Pastel Blues by Nina Simone
486. De mysteriis dom Sathanas by Mayhem
487. Harmony in Ultraviolet by Tim Hecker


488. Bottomless Pit by Death Grips
489. Let My Children Hear Music by Charles Mingus
491. Hosianna Mantra by Popol Vuh
494. Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous by Big L
495. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus by Candlemass
497. The Good Son by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
499. Transa by Caetano Veloso
  • Quote
Thanks for taking the time and listening to it like that. And, yeah, some of it's purpose is purely for background noise in certain areas, which isn't for listening. There are a good deal of samples from artists the composers liked: The Beatles, Beach Boys, and Ric Ocasek being a few.

BTW, if you didn't get to this one, then give it a spin. It's part of the final boss battle.


Link
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Thanks for taking the time and listening to it like that. And, yeah, some of it's purpose is purely for background noise in certain areas, which isn't for listening. There are a good deal of samples from artists the composers liked: The Beatles, Beach Boys, and Ric Ocasek being a few.

BTW, if you didn't get to this one, then give it a spin. It's part of the final boss battle.


Link


Yeah I read about that to the point of almost a legal battle. And thanks for sharing because I didn't get that far and that was pretty hardcore for video game music... near industrial.
  • Quote

Plays by Ekkehard Ehlers

Nice concept for an album with great execution. I'd listened to part before, but this was the first time I've listened to the whole thing. It's actually a compilation of singles that were released by the artist; each piece is supposed to represent the aesthetics of one artist. The artists covered are Cornelius Cardew, Alber Ayler, Robert Johnson, John Cassavetes, and an author, Hubert Fichte. (Seth, do you know this guy?) The music ranges from glitchy ambient, to cacophonous (the ayler), to experimental bluesiness with the Robert Johnson tribute. The Johnson tracks are the most mesmerizing to me; have a listen.


Link



Link


Seth, go for Simone.

Colin Potter-2 nights
Xiphiidae - Used Parts Galaxy
Wongraven - Fjelltronen
Christina Kubisch โ€Žโ€“ Night Flights
Death Toll 80k - Harsh Realities
Derek Bailey - Improvisation
Iordanis Tsomidis- "BOUZOUKEE The Music of Greece"
Kenjiro Sakiya - Difference
Vladimir Ussachevsky - Music for 'Line of Apogee'
Lone- Galaxy Garden
  • Quote

Beggars by Thrice

I know nothing about this band...this is the first thing I've heard from them. I gotta admit I was a bit worried at first during track one, with how he seemed to be singing in the same style as Matt Bellamy, and there was a bit of a Muse vibe going on, but then he started shout singing on the second track, and all concern was gone. Actually from then on the vocals were probably the strong point of the album for me. I really liked the sound of his voice, the passion in it, and the variety of delivery over the whole album. Musically it's some pretty solid alternative rock, with Wood And Wire one of the best songs, but the title track to close the album was the highlight. I can see why you would love it Seth - there are similarities I hear in here with a few other artists you have in this chart. 7.5/10, and 16/26 for 2009.


Going with Lone - Galaxy Garden Rocka.


Galaxy Garden by Lone


Best of the 2000's by RoundTheBend (last pick)

3. Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends by Coldplay
7. The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow
11. You Can't Take It With You by As Tall As Lions
12. In Your Honor by Foo Fighters
14. Stadium Arcadium by Red Hot Chili Peppers
15. By The Way by Red Hot Chili Peppers
16. Jones Beach, New York August 25, 2000 by Pearl Jam
22. Designing A Nervous Breakdown by The Anniversary
25. All That You Can't Leave Behind by U2
26. You're The One by Paul Simon
  • Quote
(1)

Heartleap by Vashti Bunyan
Never heard of Vashti Bunyan, but apparently she's a legendary cult artist who restarted her career 35 years or so after her debut "Just Another Diamond Day". This is her 2nd album after she started writing music again, and 3rd overall. Released in 2014, 9 years after the comeback. The Wiki page was a scarce but interesting read. Anyways, the album itself is pretty great, I listened to it in the background while studying and then again a bit more thorough. It's a lovely, chill, beautiful little album, short and sweet. It didn't have a standout, but that's probably the idea of the whole project. It sounded very coherent too. Reminded me a bit of Grouper, also great musician I've discovered through this game. Maybe Liz Harris took some notes while listening to "Just Another Diamond Day". 8 or 8.5/10

(2)
By The Way is a good listen, enjoyed that one a lot when I was little. Don't listen to much RHCP today, but i still like that one.

(3)
Norman Bates's Top 100 Albums of 2010s (6 to go)

4. Odd Nosdam - T R I S H
8. Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter Three: River Run Thee
9. Actress - R.I.P.
11. Thomas Brinkmann - A 1000 Keys
12. Delroy Edwards - Hangin' At The Beach
14. Billy Woods - Today, I Wrote Nothing
17. รine O'Dwyer - Music For Church Cleaners Vol. I And II
18 Nadja - Sv
20. Sarah Neufeld - Hero Brother
22. Julia Holter - Ekstasis
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote

Galaxy Garden by Lone

Luigii, you've been holding out on us. This is from his best of the 2010's chart, and it's great! I'm all for this kind of fun album, and I'll be relistening to this again soon. It may even find it's way onto my own 2010's chart on the back end. I don't know if "acid house" is the best label for this music, as it's just an upbeat bangerfest. Lots warm and comforting synths on this album.

Billy Woods, Ledzep.

Colin Potter-2 nights
Xiphiidae - Used Parts Galaxy
Wongraven - Fjelltronen
Christina Kubisch โ€Žโ€“ Night Flights
Death Toll 80k - Harsh Realities
Derek Bailey - Improvisation
Iordanis Tsomidis- "BOUZOUKEE The Music of Greece"
Kenjiro Sakiya - Difference
Vladimir Ussachevsky - Music for 'Line of Apogee'
Bubu- Anabelas
  • Quote

Pastel Blues by Nina Simone

I'm remembering now I have heard this album and must've forgotten I had. It's kind of sad that my introduction to her was through Kanye West... hehe. I had heard her name from my sister who says she loves her, yet have not actually heard her listen to it. Anyway, the record and her style is fantastic. I think the worst comment on the planet about her is that she sounds like a dude (thanks applerill). There were a couple points that weren't jammin with me, and so even though I want to get it a 4.5/90, that'd dragging it to a 4/85.

Bonus

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss by Burzum
There's something about this artist that musically makes me want to gravitate to it. It's funny that I hated this style when others tried it. I wonder if it's the synth tying it together like a good rug. I still hate the vocals though - I felt like the album that came after this had better vocals or at least I remember not hating them. I think in the end though I'll give it a "good" and call it a 3.5/80.

2. Chief, I'll pull another off the top of the stack: Colin Potter-2 nights

3.RYM top 500
383. Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath
395. Individual Thought Patterns by Death
414. Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk by Emperor
443. South of Heaven by Slayer
476. Unquestionable Presence by Atheist
480. Holy Diver by Dio
486. De mysteriis dom Sathanas by Mayhem
487. Harmony in Ultraviolet by Tim Hecker
488. Bottomless Pit by Death Grips
489. Let My Children Hear Music by Charles Mingus

491. Hosianna Mantra by Popol Vuh
494. Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous by Big L
495. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus by Candlemass
497. The Good Son by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
499. Transa by Caetano Veloso
  • Quote
1.


Acme by The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

Unfortunately, I don't really like this much. It's okay. It's technically skilled and has some cool people in the credits. But for my taste it's pretty bland and unseasoned as blues rock goes. 2.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Seth, I absolutely love this album and its fusion of jazz and classical:


Let My Children Hear Music by Charles Mingus

~~~~~

3. RYM Friends Chart

166. The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw And Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do - Fiona Apple
167. Leaves Turn Inside You - Unwound
176. All Hail West Texas - The Mountain Goats
244. Tindersticks - Tindersticks
283. When The Pawn... - Fiona Apple
309. Vol 4 - Black Sabbath
332. Tallahassee - The Mountain Goats
333. Deserter's Songs - Mercury Rev
334. Perils From The Sea - Mark Kozelek & Jimmy LaValle
339. Happy Sad - Tim Buckley

The source in my next post should be:

a) Continue through the top forum poster ranking - next stop Jimmy Dread
b) BEA / RYM Chart Mashup
c) RYM Friends Chart
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 165166167 ... 444445446  Next
Page 166 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.