Rank 'Em: The Beach Boys

Goto page Previous  123 ... 646566 ... 174175176  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Tilly wrote:
And all I can think about over & over again, banging around my cranium is...

"How can Dihansse not like Judas Priest?!?!?!" Because this type of metal is essentially Priest AND Maiden on speed & steroids and with less of an education. So again steroids! lol

Exhibit A:


Link


But, again. Really, really good stuff. I love what they do with a basic Maiden riff on this...


Well I don't hate them and Painkiller and British Steel are OK. But you know what my favorite of them is: their last album: Firepower. Here they really rock without all the unnecessary decorum they display on other albums.
  • Quote
Firepower is really mediocre, if I'm going to be honest. It shows their age and that they've lost their luster.
  • Quote
Proto-Death: The Six Best Proto-Death Albums (listed chronologically)

1981: Venom - Welcome To Hell
1982: Venom - Black Metal
1983(ru) Hellhammer - Satanic Rites

1983 Back Of The Bus



Show No Mercy by Slayer


And here we finally are. The most important band in the entire history of extreme metal. Bar none. In the mid to late 80s pretty much every extreme band wanted to be Slayer. They were the muse. The inspiration. What everyone reached for. And it all started here with Show No Mercy.

Iโ€™ll never forget the first time I heard it. We were riding to a jv basketball game at the very back of the bus. Me & Paul Garfinkle were sharing headphones. He had a headphone splitter so we could both listen. Paul was in a metal band with his older brother Art. I used to go watch them at Battle Of The Bands shows at a nearby high school. No one in school knew metal like Paul. Anyways, He hit play and it was instant love. Killers-era Iron Maiden on speed (check out โ€œCrionicsโ€ to see this transformative, critical piece highlighted) with a dose of Venom and hardcore. I did NOT take out my cassette copy of Bark At The Moon to show Paul. No way. Ozzy had been relegated to the jv squad.

Show No Mercy is a unique entry in Slayerโ€™s catalog. It was something completely new and yet something that Slayer would immediately progress from with the Haunting The Chapel EP and then of course Hell Awaits. Its closest facsimile is Metallicaโ€™s Kill 'Em All. Nowadays, it would be called Speed Metal(which I will touch on soon enough). Those two albums changed everything in 1983 โ€“ dwarfing everything else released that year. Especially Bark At The Moon (which is actually good commercial metal! So don't hate me Ozzy!).


Link


Last edited by Repo on 03/31/2020 22:46; edited 2 times in total
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
Firepower is really mediocre, if I'm going to be honest. It shows their age and that they've lost their luster.
I really loved it tbh. Rob's vocals are as good as ever, and the songs could've been recorded anytime in the 80s. Although it's not my favourite Judas Priest style (I'm a sucker for Sad Wings Of Destiny era Priest), I still found it to be a strong return to form. It was a more cheesy than the usual Priest though
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
Tilly wrote:

Link
Damn they look so young... Tom is not even in his Santa Claus mode yet.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
LedZep wrote:
Gowi wrote:
Firepower is really mediocre, if I'm going to be honest. It shows their age and that they've lost their luster.
I really loved it tbh. Rob's vocals are as good as ever, and the songs could've been recorded anytime in the 80s. Although it's not my favourite Judas Priest style (I'm a sucker for Sad Wings Of Destiny era Priest), I still found it to be a strong return to form. It was a more cheesy than the usual Priest though


Yeah. My take exactly. Firepower is stronger and better than I ever could have hoped for. It's not essential Priest. But, it's pretty damn good!

But, the best Priest is easily their trifecta of Sad Wings Of Destiny, Sin After Sin & Stained Glass.

Sin After Sin does not get enough love...


Sin After Sin by Judas Priest

Were Priest (secretly) the (second) best prog band on the planet in 1977?!?!
  • Quote
still not sold on firepower as anything more than a generic heavy metal album in the 2010s that has nothing memorable about it. its fine, but is nothing special.
  • Quote
Can I tempt/challenge somebody to listen to some Belgian trash metal. Channel Zero in their latter years are a fairly mainstream metal band (well: not completely) but this first album of 1992 is pure trash metal:

Channel Zero by Channel Zero

They are in no way original, the riffing comes right out of the riff book of Metallica, but it all sounds great and there's not a weaker track here.
Here is an example of one of the best tracks of the album:

Link
  • Quote
i prefer Artillery who are danish
  • Quote
Since we're promoting local scenes, I thought I'd share this link. There's a bit of history if you're interested (very brief), and a lot of great ex-Yugoslavian bands. I think Evil Blood are an essential listen.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 646566 ... 174175176  Next
Page 65 of 176


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] CLOSED Let's Rank 23: The Beach Boys ... RepoMan Music
Rank 'Em: Ozzy Osbourne CA Dreamin Music
[ Poll ] Beach Boys Albums outside of Pet soun... newbands1 Music
[ Poll ] Which is better: The Beach Boys or Th... Guest Music
Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys Johnnyo Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.