What's Tonight to Eternity by Cindy Lee was the first thing I heard from 2020, it's still probably my favourite. Didn't realize there was another release in April. Apart from those that NewsFromHome mentioned, there's also Model Express from 2018, just as haunting.
What's Tonight to Eternity by Cindy Lee was the first thing I heard from 2020, it's still probably my favourite. Didn't realize there was another release in April. Apart from those that NewsFromHome mentioned, there's also Model Express from 2018, just as haunting.
Yeah, the new release was cassette only for a while. It's like Model Express in that there's a lot of demos on it but the back half has some of Cindy Lee's best work.
SpyglassResident MetalheadProfile The red dot on the map
It's already very typical Powerman 5000 that breaks absolutely no new ground. I usually like Powerman 5000 a lot. They're not an incredible act but that 2000's rock energy feels real instead of feeling like a gimmick for a quick buck. But there's nothing new here. _________________ Do it yourself and let me play my music: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=61802
SpyglassResident MetalheadProfile The red dot on the map
Quick forum search reveals both Cindy Lee albums came and went this year without so much as a mention on the forums except for an automated albummaster thread so I'm gonna try and do my best to explain one of the most important DIY bands in recent years.
Do y'all remember Women? Uhhhh wait let me rephrase.
Women were probably the greatest post punk band to come out of Canada and with them they influenced a generation of great acts. Palm, Ought, Patti, Guerilla Toss, Omni and more have all listed Women as one of their main influences when starting their respective projects and after the release of Public Strain, Women were set for big things. That was until Pat Flegal had a nervous breakdown on tour and the band split up essentially overnight. Matt and Mike went to achieve more commercial success with the less good project Viet Cong (now Preoccupations), Chris Reimer went to join the Dodos and sadly died soon after but Pat remained quiet and tucked away for years.
Cindy Lee is Pat Flegal's hauntological meditation on the past, the nature of gender identity and the human body's tangibleness (Pat's come out as non-binary since). The project combines 60's girl group melodies with reverbed out noisey synths and angular guitar straight out of a Jarmusch bar scene.
I really can't get enough of it. If this peaks your interest, check out these two records.
Trying to see what autumn will squeeze out. I have little notes to keep an eye out for these—
AG Cook (again)
Flaming Lips
Sufjan Stevens (again)
Idles
Roisin Murphy
Susanna
Will Butler
Lucrecia Dalt
Jonsi
YG
Matt Berninger
Laraaji (again)
Future Islands
Autechre
Actress
Anna Von Hausswolff
Fuzz
Keaton Henson
Sun Kil Moon
Steve Arrington
Pallbearer
The Mountain Goats (again)
Tobacco
William Basinki
Eivør
Sólstafir
Ustad Saami
HHY & The Kampala Unit
Clipping
Peach Kelli Pop
Open Mike Eagle
Ela Minus
Natalia Lafourcade (again) (?)
Backxwash (again) (?)
Ólafur Arnalds
Nick Cave (live)
Chromatics (?) (I think they lost Dear Tommy under a bridge or something)
I'm sure I'm missing a good amount that'll be under the radar, but just a gist of what's coming up. _________________ Doubles & Conch
Trying to see what autumn will squeeze out. I have little notes to keep an eye out for these—
AG Cook (again)
Flaming Lips
Sufjan Stevens (again)
Idles
Roisin Murphy
Susanna
Will Butler
Lucrecia Dalt
Jonsi
YG
Matt Berninger
Laraaji (again)
Future Islands
Autechre
Actress
Anna Von Hausswolff
Fuzz
Keaton Henson
Sun Kil Moon
Steve Arrington
Pallbearer
The Mountain Goats (again)
Tobacco
William Basinki
Eivør
Sólstafir
Ustad Saami
HHY & The Kampala Unit
Clipping
Peach Kelli Pop
Open Mike Eagle
Ela Minus
Natalia Lafourcade (again) (?)
Backxwash (again) (?)
Ólafur Arnalds
Nick Cave (live)
Chromatics (?) (I think they lost Dear Tommy under a bridge or something)
I'm sure I'm missing a good amount that'll be under the radar, but just a gist of what's coming up.
Appreciate the list. It's gonna be one hell of an autumn. Really excited for a lot of these! _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum